Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan…

Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope

by Emmanuel Guibert

English (12)  French (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (15)
I love WWII stories. The pacing of the book ( story telling) was off for me. Liked the art and a few great moments. ( )
  D.Witz | Feb 26, 2014 |
Beautiful drawings and great snippets of life and history. You shouldn't expect a tight overarching story-arc, though it does take you through some very significant parts of Alan Copes' life from his beginnings as a soldier through to getting old and seeing his friends also get old.

The episodic nature of the story-telling meant it was easy to put down at points and I can imagine not necessarily getting round to picking it up immediately, but the fantastic drawings and anecdotal materials means you could dip into it any time. ( )
  comixminx | Apr 5, 2013 |
I confess to not finishing this. I'm afraid that Alan's war was too personal, too microcosmic to hold my interest for long enough to hook me. I wanted to like it more than I did. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
“When I was eighteen, Uncle Sam told me he’d like me to put on a uniform and go off to fight a guy by the name of Adolf. So I did.”

A chance encounter between comic creator and an elderly American gent not only cemented a lifelong friendship but produces this wonderful memoir of a young American GI who joined up during the last years of WWII. Cope is a wonderfully story teller and Guibert skilfully joins a series of vignettes into a flowing narrative, letting Copes voice shine through.

It’s a very personal account, Cope saw very little action but it’s nevertheless as fascinating as it is moving. A coming of age tale just as much a tale of WWII. We follow his friendships, the banalities of war mixed with its sharp, sudden dangers, his blossoming love of Europe, his struggle to make a place in the world.

The art is deceptively simple and very beautiful; an image hanging in white space, concentrating the mind and allowing the imagination to fill in. I can imagine its very much what someone see as they listen to the story.

Highly recommended to everyone, even non comics fans will find something to like here. ( )
  clfisha | Feb 7, 2012 |
This episodic memoir gives a great picture of an everyman who gets drafted into Uncle Sam's army and winds up in Europe. If you want shoot-em-up heroics, look to Marvel. This is a quiet achievement - I feel like I know and like Alan and wish the book was longer. ( )
  mikerr | Jun 28, 2010 |
It's a picaresque memoir of a Californian soldier who was shipped to Europe during the last days of WWII, just in time to see the comic, banal, and wrenching scenes associated with the wind-down of hostilities.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Oct 28, 2008)

Memoir of an American soldier fighting in Europe in World War II, done in the style of a graphic novel.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,097,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible