My Ex-Life: A Novel by Stephen McCauley

My Ex-Life: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Stephen McCauley (Author)

"David Hedges is having an unusual midlife crisis. His boyfriend, Soren, has left him for an older man. His job is exasperating. As his life reaches new lows, his weight reaches new highs. Across the country, Julie Fiske isn't having a much better time herself. Carol, the woman (younger, of course) that Henry, her second husband, left her for, is downright likable--more likeable than Henry was. Her sullen teen daughter adamantly refuses to apply to college. Henry lays down an ultimatum--if Mandy doesn't start applying to college, she's going to come live with him and Carol. And then Mandy surprises Henry, and stuns Julie, by saying she's been working with David Hedges, Mom's first husband from long ago. It's a lie, but a good one, and, Julie thinks, not a bad idea. So when Julie calls David up out of the blue and asks if he'll help Mandy, he says of course. And when Mandy tells David he should come visit them and stay in one of their B&B rooms, he surprises everyone, including himself, by accepting. Soon David and Julie are living together and in many ways pick up exactly where they left off. But while the chemistry between them is still there, and they can finish each other's sentences, there's one conversation they never finished that is unavoidable"--… (more)
Member:NickPoff
Title:My Ex-Life: A Novel
Authors:Stephen McCauley (Author)
Info:Flatiron Books (2018), 336 pages

My Ex-Life: A Novel by Stephen McCauley

McCauley’s irreverent sense of humor about life, love, and living make me laugh out loud! ( )
  Lisa_Francine | Aug 5, 2020 |
Immensely enjoyable and strangely apropos for me as something so similar has happened in my own family, with my brother and his ex-wife, so that it was almost eerie to read about the two of main characters, the ex-es, deciding to share a property. It's somewhat courageous too, as McCauley is willing to blur the lines between what relationships are all about, say, maybe you only want to have sex with one gender or the other, but really you prefer your closest friends be the other, and, maybe you would even prefer to live with your closest friend not the people you have sex with. We tend to want everything so neat and tidy and it isn't. Plenty else is going on, issues with the adolescent daughter of a second marriage, for example, and McCauley isn't aiming for great literary heights (or depths, or whatever) but he has his finger on the pulse of the current moment. Charming and fun and in an in-between place of not hard to read but not shallow either. **** ( )
  sibylline | Oct 5, 2019 |
I wanted to like this book. In part, it was an exploration of the road not taken which seemed intriguing. David is living a satisfying life. He has a decent, fulfilling career. He’s recently been dumped by his younger partner, who is now preparing to marry someone more moneyed than a David. Then comes a call from his ex-wife Julie. Ostensibly, her daughter Mandy needs his professional help with her college applications. Under that, Mandy is reaching out to get help for Julie, who is reeling from her recent divorce from Mandy’s father. This begins an exploration of family and belonging.

I felt the daughter’s character was underdeveloped, but Julie and David were complete people looking to start again. ( )
  sbecon | Jul 14, 2019 |
Enjoyed the writing quite a bit, very funny at parts. Wasn’t sure where the story was going, and the ending was a bit abrupt. The teen girl was written very well (avoiding usual brooding teen cliches) but her story was dark and seemed to work against the more lighthearted parts of the story. I kept on thinking this was in some way a sequel to Object of My Affection. ( )
  Oregonpoet | Jul 12, 2019 |
Every sentence packed with wit and observation ( )
  JeanneBlasberg | Apr 30, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,481,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible