Rapture In Death by J. D. Robb

Rapture In Death (1996)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (4)

Recently added bygleefulwolf, private library, LitaVore, Rena37, jcogar12, windyf, parnellhome, SymphonySil

Rapture in Death
4 Stars

A series of suspicious suicides connected to virtual reality goggles has Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas racing against time to stop a demented sociopath bent on destroying that which she holds most dear.

A quick and entertaining read despite the predictable mystery.

The theme of the dangers of subliminal messaging and the very real potential for abuse are compelling, and salient in light of the advances in today’s gaming technologies. Robb’s insights are interesting given the fact that this book was written in 1996.

Although the villain is obvious early on, mainly due to the creepy vibe and shudder inducing comments that they impart, the case is intense and suspenseful. The climax and resolution are particularly intense and had me on the edge of my seat.

Roarke and Eve’s romance goes from strength to strength as Eve finally realizes just how much he means to her. Some of their scenes together are scorching hot and a lot more graphic than I am used to from Nora Roberts.

In terms of character development, Eve allows her personal feelings toward a suspect to influence her investigative method and it almost costs her everything. Her preoccupation, however justified and however despicable the suspect’s actions, is nevertheless unprofessional and dangerous.

Roarke is as sexy and enigmatic as ever and there is one scene in which he is downright scary demonstrating that he has not distanced himself from his dark past on the streets of Dublin as much as was previously believed.

Summerset, Nadine and Mavis all put in appearances, but it is Peabody who absolutely steals the show. Her one-liners are precious.

In sum, this is a fun series and I’m glad that I finally got around to reading it. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
A young man hangs himself and this does seem to be totally out of character for this man. When Eve and Roarke return home there are a couple suicides which seem to match this pattern. Then even one in Washington. Eve must find the connection between these suicides and prove it is actually murder. This goes deep into the brain waves and a connection to another of Roarke companies. This was really a surprise at the end and an excellent book. I highly recommend this book and all in the series. If you are new to the series start at the very beginning and you will be very pleased! ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Read
  MrsDoglvrs | Apr 24, 2016 |
I really enjoy this series and especially the dynamics between Roarke and Eve. Eve's character has grown tremendously since the first book. She's no longer as guarded with her emotions and is working hard to blend with Roarke's social and business contacts. While I like the more "open" and "softer" side of Eve, her character in this book felt "off" to me. Being a cop is who she is, a fixed part of her identity. She's also a smart cop, so seeing such obvious clues whiz past her as this story progressed didn't fit the mold. I kept thinking "She's sharper than that" and "isn't that an obvious clue? Why isn't she picking up on it?"

It wasn't bad though. It was a quick read and the character driven aspects helped carry the plot. Mavis is always entertaining. The working relationship developing between Eve and Peabody is turning out to be a great match, too. We get a small glimpse of Roarke's darker side, which peaked my curiosity about his past. I would LOVE a novella or something that gave us a closer look at his youth. Then again, I don't know if I want to lose the air of mystery that surrounds him. I'm thinking he'll be my next book boyfriend...just don't tell Harry Dresden.

Obviously, I'll keep going with the series. This just wasn't an example of Robb's best work. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb
#4 "In Death" series

setting: New York City--August/September 2058

Fourth novel in Robb's "In Death" series starts up while Lt. Eve Dallas and her new husband, Roarke, are on their honeymoon. It is interrupted while they are off-planet at a new casino resort Roarke is building when a death occurs and Eve is the only law enforcement available. When they return to NYC, the story focuses on multiple deaths which appear on the surface to be "self terminations" but Dallas is unable to let them go because she sees a disturbing similarity to the casino death which was also an unexpected suicide. None of the victims gave any sign that they had any reason to commit suicide, and several of the victims were high-profile individuals at the pinnacle of their business success and enjoyed personal happiness. As her investigation escalates, she starts seeing commonalities between the victims that have to do with unusual shadows on their brains.

At the same time, she is encouraging her best friend, Mavis', career by helping her promote a new album she is making with a successful entertainer who sees potential in Mavis. Dallas also encounters a couple of life-threatening situations in the line of duty which is very difficult for her new husband, Roarke, and which adds to his constant worry about her dangerous profession. Eve, also, is opening up more and showing more vulnerability with her friends and with Roarke.

This book had an interesting take in that it featured the idea of mind control through virtual reality. There was an interesting discussion of how just listening to music can alter moods and create desired results, i.e., playing upbeat music in the workplace can encourage people to get hyped up to perform better in their jobs. Obviously, in our lives now, we can already find correlations with how companies market their products through advertising and subliminal messages. Very interesting to see it on a much higher scale.

I'm really enjoying the near-future aspect of this series and the imagination Robb had back in the mid-90s when these earlier books were written. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Jan 20, 2016 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionscalculated
Echevarría Pérez, AuroraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romaní, LolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
But I do nothing upon myself, and yet am mine own Executioner.

--John Donne
There is rapture on the lonely shore.

--Lord Byron
The alley was dark and stank of piss and vomit.

Each murder victim died smiling. The only one who isn't grinning is New York Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas--because she's got to find out why.

Death didn't shock her, but it appalled her, and she knew it always would: the waste of it, the violence and the cruelty of it. But she lived with it too much to be shocked, even by this. They died with smiles on their faces. Three apparent suicides: a brilliant engineer, an infamous lawyer, and a controversial politician. Three strangers with nothing in common - and no obvious reasons for killing themselves. But police lieutenant Eve Dallas is immediately suspicious of the deaths. And her instincts pay off when autopsies revealed small burn marks on the brains of the victims. Is this a genetic abnormality or a high-tech method of murder? Eve's investigation turns to the provocative world of virtual reality games - where the same techniques used to create joy and desire can also prompt the mind to become the weapon of its own destruction.
They died with smiles on their faces. Three apparent suicides: a brilliant engineer, an infamous lawyer, and a controversial politician. Three strangers with nothing in common - and no obvious reasons for killing themselves. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas found the deaths suspicious. And her instincts paid off when autopsies revealed small burns on the brains of the victims. Was it a genetic abnormality or a high-tech method of murder?
Eve's investigation turned to the provocative world of virtual reality games - where the same techniques used to create joy and desire could also prompt the mind to become the weapon of its own destruction.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425155188, Mass Market Paperback)

They died with smiles on their faces. Three apparent suicides: a brilliant engineer, an infamous lawyer, and a controversial politician. Three strangers with nothing in common--and no obvious reasons for killing themselves. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas found the deaths suspicious. And her instincts paid off when autopsies revealed small burns on the brains of the victims. Was it a genetic abnormality or a high-tech method of murder? Eve's investigation turned to the provocative world of virtual reality games--where the same techniques used to create joy and desire could also prompt the mind to become the weapon of its own destruction...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:42 -0400)

Lieutenant Eve Dallas' suspicions about three apparent suicides are confirmed when autopsies reveal small burns on the victims' brains. Her investigation leads to the world of virtual reality games, where techniques to create joy and desire could also be used to prompt self-destructive behavior.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,365,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible