dismiss

The Prisoner in the Castle by Susan Elia…

The Prisoner in the Castle

by Susan Elia MacNeal

Series: Maggie Hope (8)

1984796,772 (3.72)17
"American-born spy and code-breaker extraordinaire Maggie Hope must solve a baffling series of murders among a group of captive agents on an isolated Scottish island as the acclaimed World War II mystery series from New York Times bestselling author Susan Elia MacNeal continues. Maggie Hope is being held prisoner on a remote Scottish island with other SOE agents who know too much for the enemy's comfort. All the spies on the island are trained to kill--and when they start dropping off one-by-one, Maggie needs to find the murderer... before she becomes the next victim"--… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An absolutely stunning book. I absolutely loved it. Thank you so much for the chance to review it. It captivated me from front cover to back cover, first page to last. I highly recommend this, I can’t say that enough. ( )
  izzybkn | Apr 6, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In this 8th book in MacNeal's Maggie Hope series, Maggie is imprisoned on an island off the coast of Scotland with a group of British secret agents. Every one of them either has some fatal weakness as an agent or knows too much. When they begin dropping dead one by one ( a la Christie's AND THEN THERE WERE NONE) Maggie is determined to solve the mystery and survive. This is a well -done character-driven mystery with plenty of suspense until the chilling finale. I'd recommend it for readers following the series, not as a stand-alone. ( )
  Sue_the_Book_Slut | Oct 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of LibraryThing’s early reviewer program

I really enjoyed The Prisoner in the Castle even having not read any of the others. I think it could have used a little more background about Maggie and her previous adventures and training.

The characters were well fleshed out and interesting. Kiloch castle was a fantastic and well described setting and the touches of Scottish mythology were a nice touch.

I will definitely read some more Maggie Hope Mysteries ( )
  amuskopf | Oct 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this espionage thriller, the first of the Maggie Hope series I have read. The story centers around English spies who the government has arbitrarily decided are a danger to their country because they know too much about England's WWII war plans and appear unstable. They are sent to a remote island off the coast of Scotland as a kind of jail. where they are forbidden any contact with the outside world. One by one the inhabitants are murdered as it turns out there is a German spy in their midst. Maggie and others must try to find the killer and keep the spy from taking classified information back to Germany. Eventually Maggie's friends find out about the situation and are sent to rescue the remaining spies who are still alive. There are several minor plots as well as flashbacks to Maggie's friends who become worried about her safety and are able to ferret out her location. Yes, the whole plot is a little implausible but the writing was very good and kept me interested in finding out how Maggie would be able to win the day. This story seemed to be a riff on Agatha Christie's novel "And Then There Were None" ( )
  dallenbaugh | Oct 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not read other books in the Maggie Hope Mysteries series, but I received it from Random House in partnership with the LibraryThing early reviewers program.
Wow...I've always enjoyed mysteries, but this one really took the cake! A bit of romance, changing viewpoints, and no clear-cut killer make this a fun and smart read.
Set during WWII on the remote Isle of Scarra in Scotland, this fast-paced whodunit follows Maggie Smith, Winston Churchill's former secretary-turned-spy, now a prisoner on the island along with eleven other agents seen as a liability by the British government.
As handlers and prisoners begin dying off, Maggie must race against time to discover the culprit before it's too late and before she becomes the next victim! ( )
  bookluver_11 | Sep 29, 2019 |

MacNeal, Susan EliaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Duerden, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast. - Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. - Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water"
Am fear bhitheas trocaireach ri anam, cha bhi e mi-throcaireach ri bhruid. [He who is merciful to his soul will not be unmerciful to a beast.] - Gaelic Saying
To the brave women and men of Britain's Special Operations Executive, who trained and taught at Arisaig House in Lochaber, Inverness-shire, on the west coast of the Scottish Highlands.
Thank you to Sarah Winnington-Ingram, Kitty Rose Winnington-Ingram, Magnus Winnington-Ingram, and the entire family and staff of Arisaig House, who honor the memory of SOE agents who trained there and who helped me research this book.
Always remember, when you're on the run, instinct will take over -- and if you're not careful, you'll become nothing more than an animal.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Susan Elia MacNeal's book The Prisoner in the Castle is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Elia MacNeal's book The Prisoner in the Castle was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Susan Elia MacNeal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,526,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible