The Places That Scare You: A Guide to…

The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times (2002)

by Pema Chödrön

I give this book 5 stars. I love the way Pema writes - she has a flow in her writing that is calm and beautiful and open. ( )
  1gypsygal | Mar 16, 2014 |
This is a book I will have to re-read. As soon as I finished it, I felt the need to begin it again. I will be thinking about many of the things she writes about for a long time. ( )
  juliana_t | Jan 11, 2012 |
The title is potentially a bit misleading. This is essentially a general introduction to Pema Chodron's style of Buddhism which she learned from her teacher Chogyam Trungpa. She has a lovely literary voice and it is a very nice introduction, but if, based on the title, you were looking for something with a specific focus on dealing with fear, you may be disappointed. ( )
  fyoder | Feb 14, 2009 |
Pema Chodron is a Buddhist nun with a gift for wit and words. Her writings about Buddhist principles are fun to read, accessible and understandable. I have turned to her books in times of grief and despair and been inspired and comforted each time. ( )
  chersbookitlist | Aug 10, 2008 |
Less inspiring than her previous ones, but still good.
On the other hand, with this kind of book even more than with others, one can get very different things out of reading it at different times -- depending on one's situation, state of mind, and where one is at the time; so my evaluation may have as much to do with me as with the book itself. ( )
  AnnaOok | Apr 8, 2008 |

Pema Chödrön is een Amerikaanse boeddhistische non en een van de meest vooraanstaande leerlingen van Chögyarn Trungpa. Zij leeft in Gampo Abbey, Nova Scotia, en geeft daar tevens^ onderricht. Gampo Abbey is het eerste Tibetaanse Noord-Amerika dat is opgericht voor westerlingen.
Ais auteur maakte Pema Chödrön naam met Als je wereld instort. In haar nieuwe boek neemt zij ons opnieuw mee op de weg die ons van pijn, angst en lijden kan verlossen. Paradoxaal genoeg zegt de boeddhist, dat doen waar je bang voor bent, de manier is om je angst te overwinnen. Maar daar zijn wel moed en mededogen voor nodig. In dit boek laat Pema Chödrön ons op haar onnavolgbare manier zien hoe het leven, met al zijn.. tegenslagen, geleefd kan worden.Waar je bang voor bent is een waardevol boek over een van de grote levensproblemen. Geschreven speciaal voor de grote en groeiende groep boeddhistisch geïnteresseerden, maar eijj Van universeel belang.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 000718350X, Paperback)

One of the most inspiring spiritual teachers of our time offers simple, practical advice for living with less fear, less anxiety and a more open heart. Bought in a hotly contested auction, The Places That Scare You is now available in massmarket, taking Pema Chodron 's spiritual teachings to a wider audience. We always have a choice, Pema Chodron teaches: we can either let the circumstances of our lives harden us and make us increasingly resentful and afraid, or we can let them soften us and make us kind. This unique book shows us how to awaken our basic goodness and connect to others. In her lively, contemporary voice, Chodron translates the wisdom of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition for the layperson. Her wisdom cuts across all traditions and religions -- appealing to everyone from the Dalai Lama's followers to ordinary people trying to make sense of their lives. This title has gone straight onto the bestseller lists in the USA, where it has just been published. Recently profiled in Oprah's O magazine, Pema Chodron is a spiritual teacher for anyone -- whether they have a spiritual path or not. Her heartfelt advice and wisdom (developed in her 20 years of practice as a Tibetan Buddhist nun as well as her years previously as a normal 'housewife and mother') give her a wide appeal. Particularly in these difficult times, this advice strikes just the right note, offering us comfort and challenging us to live deeply and contribute to creating a more loving world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:40 -0400)

Offers advice on uncovering inner wisdom and opening one's heart while refusing to allow resentfulness and fear to block one's inner light.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,517,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible