Holding The Cards by Joey W. Hill

Holding The Cards (edition 2004)

by Joey W. Hill

Member:LadyIsis
Title:Holding The Cards
Authors:Joey W. Hill
Info:Ellora's Cave (2004), Paperback, 212 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Holding the Cards by Joey W. Hill

1/6 (1) 2010 (1) bdsm (7) bondage (1) Book 1 (1) contemporary (2) contemporary romance (1) DS (2) ebook (4) erotic fiction (1) erotic romance (4) erotica (4) Erotica-1 (1) femdom (1) fiction (3) Kindle (2) kink (1) m/f (1) m/m (1) mooched (1) nook (2) novel (1) owned (1) read (1) romance (1) sadomasochism (1) series (2) submissive (1) to-read (9) unread (1)

I am a huge fan of Hill’s Vampire Queen Series and I’ve been meaning to check out one of her other series so after finding Holding the Cards as a FREE download (until 2/19/12) for my Nook I jumped at the chance to read it.

Ok, so Holding the Cards does not have hot vampires in it but it’s still a good read. The BDSM elements is not as hard core as the ones in the VQS so if you want to dip your toe into the BDSM genre this a good one to start with. The relationship between three characters slowly develops over the span of the book so it easies you into the harder aspect of the D/s relationship.

Lauren, Josh and Marcus are all on the beautiful deserted island for different reasons. Lauren is trying to get over a bad break up with her last submissive. Josh is the caretaker of the rich homes on the island that are owned by the rich and famous. Marcus is Josh’s friend and a rich and successful art dealer, who just happens to be a Dom like Lauren.

Lauren find herself locked out of her friend’s house that she is borrowing for the weekend. That’s not really the embarrassing part of her and Josh meeting. Lauren had decided to use the hot tub out on the deck of the house to relax but when she tries to go back in she realizes she is locked out and the only way to get down from the high two story deck is to climb down the tree next to the deck, with only a towel wrapped around her waist. Half way down she notices these Tarzan looking guy down on the ground staring at her. (Hello Josh, I’ll be your Jane to your Tarzan anytime) Then comes along Marcus and Lauren’s embarrassment is complete.

The three spend the night together talking and eating dinner together. Then Marcus brings up the idea to play and hand of cards that when things start getting interesting. Game: High Card. Rules: Holder of the high card gets to be Dom for the night. Winner: Lauren. Now the handsome and quite Josh must play by Mistress, Lauren’s rules.

Holding the Cards is a hot, sexy and emotional ride. I liked that fact that the book didn’t end with a nice neat HEA like most books do. Josh and Lauren really care for each other and want to get to a HEA but they realize that they still need to get to know each other better. But they see the potent for love in their future.

I must admit, I lean more toward instant gratification so some of the more drawn out scenes tormented me just as much as did Josh so I skimmed a few spots and that’s the reason for the 3 star rating instead of a 4 star rating. But it was still a very much enjoyable read

Check out my interview with the author.
  Jennifer-Book-Nympho | Mar 29, 2013 |

Check out my interview with the author.
  Jennifer-Book-Nympho | Mar 29, 2013 |
This is a story about healing. Exorcising the demons we all acquire when a relationship of passion falls to the wayside. It is about three people finding a path to redemption and love. Ms. Hill has a way of telling these stories with grace and insight. She makes the reader feel the anguish and the hurt that these three damaged souls have endured. She writes characters that are flawed just as so many of us are yet they come out the other end of the story renewed and ready to grab life my the horns and ride it. You come to love the characters and cheer them on through each hoop they jump through on the path to a better place.

Lauren, Marcus and Joshua were the first characters of Ms. Hill's that I enjoyed sharing with her. I read the story just shortly after it was published by Ellora's Cave all those many years ago. I haven't re-read the story in all that time. These story strike so close to home they can be painful in some ways to read. I love them make no mistake but I have to read them in a measured pace. I have always thought that was the measure of a great book. Ms. Hill book pull out things in me that I wish that I could experience and know that it will never happen. I want those things so badly but I know that I will not find someone that I can trust to share those experiences with.

This is the first time that Marcus shows up in any of Ms. Hill's story. He intrigued me so much. I am not a big fan of M/m romances. I usually need and female added into the mixture to really enjoy the story. However I loved reading Marcus' story. A review that I will save for a later time. Lauren and Josh have both gone through so much pain. Even with the second reading I am rushing to the end to see how things will resolve themselves. Wanting to know what has caused Josh such pain that he is angry and hurt so deeply.

Well I have finished the story and the ending had me in tears. I am reminded yet again that there are some truly vile people in the world. What Josh's wife did to him is unforgivable. She needs hep and lots of it. Jonathan is the same. I know that Jonathan finally has to face his demons and find redemption as he does so. I wish that there was some similar punishment for Josh's wife but maybe she is beyond redemption. I do love that Ms. Hill left open the possibility for Marcus and Thomas to get back together. I also glad that Lauren and Josh were ready to find a way to make a life for themselves. This is a very good story and for those that love the BDSM genre it is a must read. A warning for the rest this is a deeply emotional book that has very strong D/s elements that some will find disturbing. There is also one scene of M/M sexual contact for those of you that find that not to your taste. ( )
  LadyIsis | Dec 16, 2012 |
FemDom not my favorite thing but the emotional journey was so sweet and intense that I didn't care. Lauren and Josh were two halfs of a whole, damaged by their previous lovers and healed by BDMS. Enjoyed seeing Marcus from Rough Canvas here but felt he didn't need to be here. Not crazy about manage scenes. Close male relationship with Marcus and Josh with no sexual heat so I wasn't clear as to why they needed to have sex. Besides that, very enjoyable read. ( )
  saturnnalia | Mar 18, 2011 |
Control is temporal, but some bonds will last forever if you submit to the blessing of their existence upon you.

To Mary, who deserves joy in every form.
To Ben and Gil, who contributed considerable inspiration to this work.
to my husband, always.
Good grief, Lisette, don't worry so much.

Lauren is a successful doctor with a healthy attitude toward sex, unashamed of her proclivities as a sexual Dominant. She wants love and a family, but she's beginning to believe there is no Mr. Right willing to stand by her in sickness and health...and be cuffed, stripped, and smacked with a riding crop.Then her friend Lisette invites her to spend a long weekend on a private island. It turns out Lisette can't come with her, but Lauren opts to go anyway, with no one for company but Joshua, the island caretaker, and his visiting friend, Marcus. Though both men are beautiful, it is Joshua that catches Lauren's attention, and not just because Marcus prefers men.

Something in Josh's stormy eyes calls to her. When Marcus facilitates a game of submission and control between the three of them that will last throughout the weekend, Lauren embraces the opportunity. Josh overwhelms her with his willingness to submit to her body's desires, but her heart wants to get to the secrets behind those eyes. She is going to have to tear down his defenses and make him give her everything. And this is one Mistress who doesn't take no for an answer...

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,239,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible