The Sleeping Doll: A Novel (Kathryn Dance,…

The Sleeping Doll: A Novel (Kathryn Dance, No 1) (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Jeffery Deaver

Member:LottaTypos
Title:The Sleeping Doll: A Novel (Kathryn Dance, No 1)
Authors:Jeffery Deaver
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned

The Sleeping Doll by Jeffery Deaver (2007)

English (41)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
Brillant book. ( )
  Tara.Ross | Mar 14, 2014 |
What an intriguing book!

In the past, Daniel Pell killed a whole family. No one knows why he did so, they can't find any clues. No money was taken, nothing. The only one who survived was Theresa.

The book starts when Daniel Pell escapes from prison. The police doesn't know where he went and they start a big search for him. Will he go after Theresa? Or does he have other goals?

It was a really good book. The plot was so much different than any other plots I read before, it was really smart how Jeffery Deaver thought of it. I also didn't expect how it ended, the book kept suprising me. ( )
  MarjoleinL | Mar 2, 2014 |
I've long been a fan of Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, so my curiosity was piqued when I read the book where Kathryn Dance was introduced and I found that he'd spun her off into her own new series. I enjoyed the different take, from the physical evidence being paramount to the emotional tells of the people involved, that Dance brings to the table, and overall I enjoyed the story that played out here, with its own unique twists and turns and surprises.

However, Deaver is used to doing a bit of over-explaining with his Lincoln books, everything is all about the science, with machines and chemical names and so forth that most of us laypeople wouldn't really know much about. But there are plenty of things about body language that are very much common knowledge at this point. Crossing arms, lack of eye-contact, etc, we all know what plenty of this stuff indicates. I was irritated with the over-explanations so often found on these pages. A lot of times it was even practically repeated when they continued to do something else that furthered a suspicion. We know, we get it, just "show" us that they leaned back and crossed their arms after their heated denial, don't tell us over and over that it means they're angry and closed off! I just hope that he's received some pointers on this issue from his editor/the public and that he'll have relaxed on that front in further books, because Kathryn is definitely a worthwhile character to follow. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Dec 1, 2013 |
Audiobook version. Although I didn't care much for the main character, Katherine Dance, the secondary characters were compelling enough to keep me listening. There were a few plot twists that came to me as a pleasant surprise, and overall I enjoyed the story. I probably will not listen to any more in this series, though. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |
Special Agent Kathryn Dance introduced in The Cold Moon – stars in the latest thriller from New York Times bestselling author Jeffery Deaver. When Special Agent Kathryn Dance is sent to interrogate the convicted killer Daniel "Son of Manson" Pell as a suspect in a newly unearthed crime, she feels both trepidation and electrifying intrigue. Pell is serving a life sentence for brutal murders years earlier that mirrored those perpetrated by Charles Manson in the 1960s. But Pell and his cult members left behind a survivor who – because she was in bed hidden by her toys – was dubbed the Sleeping Doll. Pell has long been both reticent and unrepentant about the crime. But Dance sees an opportunity to pry a confession from him for the recent murder – and to learn more about the depraved mind of this career criminal. But when Dance's plan goes terribly wrong and Pell escapes, leaving behind a trail of dead and injured, she finds herself in charge of her first manhunt. As the idyllic Monterey Peninsula is paralyzed by the elusive killer, Dance turns to the past to find the truth about what Daniel Pell is really up to. She tracks down the now-teenage Sleeping Doll to learn what really happened that night, and arranges a reunion of three women who were in his cult at the time of the killings. The lies of the past and the evasions of the present boil up under the relentless probing of Kathryn Dance, but will the truth about Daniel Pell emerge in time to stop him from killing again?
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |

Jeffery Deaverprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Astori, CristianaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cappi, Andrea CarloTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
After changes upon changes, we are more or less the same. /
After changes we are more or less the same. /
Paul Simon, 'The Boxer'
For the G Man
'Son of Manson' Found Guilty In Croyton Family Murders (Prologue)
The interrogation began like any other.
After changes upon changes, we are more or less the same. After changes we are more or less the same. (Paul Simon, The Boxer)

Omtale: Sovedukken

I Sovedukken rømmer den brutale morderen Daniel Pell fra et high security-fengsel. Pell kaller seg for Mansons sønn, inspirert av massemorderen Charles Manson. I likhet med andre psykopater er Pell en mester i bedra sine omgivelser. Bare en person har lykkes i å knekke ham i politiavhør: Kathryn Dance. Hun er ekspert på å tyde kroppsspråk og spesialist i avhør av vitner og mistenkte. Det er egenskaper som kommer godt med i arbeidet for California Bureau of Investigation. Nå må Kathryn spore opp Daniel Pell før flere liv går tapt. Da trenger hun hjelp fra mennesker fra Pells fortid, inkludert den unge jenta kjent som sovedukken - den eneste overlevende i sin familie etter Pells massakre. Handlingen bukter seg i uventede og skremmende retninger og er en katt-og-mus-lek av typen Jeffery Deaver er velkjent for.

When Special Agent Kathryn Dance is sent to interrogate the convicted killer Daniel "Son of Manson" Pell as a suspect in a newly unearthed crime, she feels both trepidation and electrifying intrigue. Pell is serving a life sentence for brutal murders years earlier that mirrored those perpetrated by Charles Manson in the 1960s. But Pell and his cult members left behind a survivor who -- because she was in bed hidden by her toys -- was dubbed the Sleeping Doll.

Pell has long been both reticent and unrepentant about the crime. But Dance sees an opportunity to pry a confession from him for the recent murder -- and to learn more about the depraved mind of this career criminal. But when Dance's plan goes terribly wrong and Pell escapes, leaving behind a trail of dead and injured, she finds herself in charge of her first manhunt. As the idyllic Monterey Peninsula is paralyzed by the elusive killer, Dance turns to the past to find the truth about what Daniel Pell is really up to. She tracks down the now-teenage Sleeping Doll to learn what really happened that night, and arranges a reunion of three women who were in his cult at the time of the killings.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:05 -0400)

Special Agent Kathryn Dance pursues an escaped psychopath, who leaves a trail of dead and injured.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,415,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible