The Bride Was a Boy by Chii

The Bride Was a Boy (edition 2018)

by Chii (Author)

Member:DovSherman
Title:The Bride Was a Boy
Authors:Chii (Author)
Info:Seven Seas (2018), Edition: Translation, 158 pages
Collections:Manga

The Bride Was a Boy by Chii

Real cute! A fun, upbeat memoir of one person's transition in Japan. Charming art, very informative. I enjoyed it a lot. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
Chii gives a shojo manga gloss to her real-life gender transition with chibi-esque art and a fairytale wedding. She touches on some of the more complex issues, especially in a series of educational sidebars, but mostly maintains a lighthearted tone, keeping her love story front and center. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
5 out of 5 stars

The Bride Was a Boy is a diary styled manga by Chii. This manga tells the story of Chii’s transition from male to female, falling in love, and getting married. It is a beautiful, heartwarming tale that everyone should read.

This is a really wonderful manga, one that I absolutely loved. Chii outlines her life, focusing on her transition, meeting her future husband, and ensuing marriage. The early life of Chii is explored, yet it isn’t quite the focus. At least, not all of the time. What we see much more of is Chii falling in love, telling her family about her decision to transition, her surgery, and getting married. It is a love story as much as it is a story about being a trans woman in Japan.

The romance in this book is very realistic. This is not a story of love at first sight, but one where a relationship grew naturally. Husband-kun is as supportive a person as one could find. I also liked the dynamic between Chii and her mother. It was wonderful to see a loving, accepting surrounding her.

Between each chapter is a one or two page spread focusing on terminology or laws related to the LGBT issues in Japan. Some common misconceptions are talked about here, as well as how Chii feels about these issues. This is her story, after all, and she doesn’t hesitate to state her opinion while reminding the reader that not everyone has had the same experiences or the same views. In a similar vein, these sections talk about terminology and laws in regards to Japan, but sometimes include a small section on how those same things are treated in other parts of the world as well.

The art is utterly adorable. The front cover is bright and happy and oh so cute. This was a wonderful adaption of material originally found on the author’s blog as well.

I really enjoyed reading The Bride Was a Boy by Chii. This is a great manga that fans of manga, autobiographies, and memoirs would all love. I highly suggest picking up a copy.

I received a copy of this manga from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This review originally found on Looking Glass Reads. ( )
  kateprice88 | Jul 19, 2018 |
I loved reading this story. A cute and endearing story about a transgender woman's journey to becoming a woman, falling in love and becoming a bride. The book is filled with lots of useful information tucked between each mini chapter. That it's done in comic form makes it easier to read and digest and more appealing to various audiences. ( )
  Aythn | Jun 28, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,560,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible