Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter

Pieces of Her (2018)

by Karin Slaughter

English (26)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (29)
I really like this author and have read everything she has ever written. I'm especially partial to her Grant County-Will Trent series but have read and enjoyed her stand alone books also. I approached this one with a fair amount of caution and tried not to form any opinions based on some really low ratings I had seen. Even though the book started out rather slow it soon picked up with the two main characters, Andrea and Laura. I truly couldn't work up much compassion for Andrea. She was like and android on Ritalin and she has raised a 31-year old who is going on 15. The redeeming feature of the book was the story in itself. Who was this woman and what had she been running from for most of her life? If you are a Karin Slaughter fan you will more than likely find enough to carry you to the conclusion. if you are a new reader to this author you may want to start with a few Will Trent series before this one. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | Mar 4, 2019 |
3.5 stars

Pieces of Her is a thriller set against a mother-daughter relationship. Andy has had a lacklustre life so far, and the one constant grounding factor she could rely on has been her mother, Laura. Everything changes, however, when Laura and Andy find themselves in the middle of a violent incident. The incident brings out a side to Laura that Andy had no clue existed.

When new forces of threat start showing up at their doorstep, Andy has to buck up and take control of her life. She's shocked by the realization that events in her mother's past have a bearing on their lives now. While running for her life, Andy also tries to piece her mother's past together to get at the truth.

Karin Slaughter doesn't ever cut corners when it comes to shock-factor in her writing, and embraces her characters' darkness and flaws into her writing. This title does the same. The only reason why its impact waned a little, at least for me, is because of the expectations set by other Karin Slaughter books. ( )
  AceFeminist | Dec 7, 2018 |
Really different and very compelling. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
This is my third Karin Slaughter and it was a decent read but not a show stopper for me. I know she is a very popular author so maybe it's just me that doesn't seem to jive. This was an interesting story but something kept me from be completely enmeshed in the experience. Maybe it felt a bit long? Maybe it was the completely inept MC? I'm not sure. But, in the end, it was a good plot, well written and kept me interested enough to keep reading and find out what happened. So - job well done! I would like to thank Jellybooks and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book to read. ( )
  Kathl33n | Nov 26, 2018 |
This edge-of-your-seat thriller goes back and forth in time between 1986 and 2018. Stunning revelations punctuate the story from the very beginning, set in August, 2018. Andrea (“Andy”), 31, is living at home with her mother in Belle Isle, Georgia. Andy’s life has pretty much been a failure up to this point, and Andy lacks confidence and quick-wittedness, especially in comparison to her popular and competent mother Laura. Laura Oliver is 55, and works as a speech therapist. As the story opens, the two are at a diner at the mall when a killer comes into the diner and starts shooting. Andy is paralyzed with fear, but her mother takes matters into hand. Afterwards, although her mother is injured, she roughly tells Andy to move out that very night. It’s all very bizarre. Andy wonders, who was this woman who could do what she did? Who was her mother?

The shocks are only just beginning for Andy. She left to go stay at her dad’s house, but decided to go back for her bicycle. She discovers Laura in yet another life-or-death situation. This time Andy reluctantly helps, with horrendous consequences. She is forced to flee - her mother gives her money and an address for a storage facility in a small town hours away. Andy realizes she has never known her mother; she has only seen pieces. She knows only that she might be followed, and the level of tension is almost unbearable.

Then the narration switches to 1986 and we find out a bit more about Laura’s life. This doesn’t mean the action slows at all, however. The twists and turns on the road to enlightenment for the reader seem like driving on narrow switchbacks over the mountains. I admit to doing what I rarely do, which is occasionally paging ahead so I could breathe sufficiently to make it through the next segment of the story.

In the end, a final twist caught me totally unawares.

Evaluation: I’ve read a great deal of Karin Slaughter’s books, and this one felt very different than the others. But I’m not complaining! ( )
  nbmars | Nov 5, 2018 |
For my GPP peeps
For years, even while she'd loved him, part of her had hated him in the childish way you hate something you can't control. (Prologue)
"Andrea," her mother said.
I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you--Nobody--Too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise--you know!

How dreary--to be--Somebody!
How public--like a Frog--
To tell one's name--the livelong June--
To an admiring Bog!

--Emily Dickinson

Andrea Cooper knows everything about her mother, Laura. She knows she's spent her whole life in the small beachside town of Gullaway Island. She knows she's never wanted anything more than to live a quiet life as a pillar of the community. She knows she's never kept a secret in her life. All that changes when a Saturday afternoon trip to the mall explodes into violence and Andrea suddenly sees a completely different side to Laura. Because it turns out that before Laura was Laura, she was someone completely different.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible