Vengeance In Death by J. D. Robb

Vengeance In Death (1997)

by J. D. Robb

Series: In Death (6)

Vengeance in Death, the sixth book in J.D. Robb's In Death series is a suspenseful tale of cat and mouse. Eve begins to receive disturbing calls from a man set on revenge. He tells her a riddle and a gives her a time limit to find the next victim before it is to late. While she closes in on her killer, disturbing information arises, connecting someone close to her to the murders.

Each book in the series seems to get better and better. Sometimes the mystery is a bit predictable, but the characters and action carry the story well. The dialogue is always engaging and witty. I enjoyed watching all of them work together to ferret out the who, where, and why of this case.

Eve and Roarke continue to grow in their relationship. I like that they fight about things like a normal couple, then make up and grow from the experience. They make a unique crime fighting duo. Their trip to Dublin to look further into the investigation gave us a glimpse of Roarke's childhood and troubled past. While there, we meet Roarke's friend Brian. He's a fun character and I enjoyed his scenes with the couple very much. I hope we will get to hear from him again in the future.

Also on the subject of character, technology whiz McNab is my favorite new addition to the cast. He made me smile quite a few times and helped lift the heavy tone of such a violent murder case.

I know this is a long series, but It's going to be fun catching up!
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Vengeance in Death by J.D. Robb
#6 "In Death" series

The business of death hits close to home for Lt. Dallas this time around when several murders occur which tie into her husband, Roarke's, darker past and implicate his butler, Summerset, as the prime suspect. Whoever the real criminal is, he/she is a technological genius and/or has some inside connections to Roarke's business, home life, and personal history. It will be Eve's job to see beyond the obvious to get to the real truth.

We get a glimpse of Roarke's past as they make a quick trip to Dublin, Ireland, to deliver a body and attend a wake and funeral of an old friend. Hopefully, they will soon be able to return to his homeland for leisure rather than duty.

There are a lot of religious overtones in this one, the murderer a delusional zealot who likes riddles and to play games with Eve, whom he/she sees as an adequate rival, even after she ends up on the killer's list of those whom God has deemed should die for their sins.

"Justice, Eve, is weak and thin without the underpinning of retribution." ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Feb 15, 2016 |
A madman who is an expert in computer technology and an obsession with the Virgin Mary haunts the police with cryptic riddles about the crimes he is about to commit. The police solve the riddle but always too late to save his victims' lives. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas found the first victim butchered in his own home and the second in a vacant luxury apartment. The two men had little in common except both had ties to a secret of ten years past, a secret that involves Eve's husband, Roarke. Though the evidence is inconclusive, all clues point to Roarke's faithful butler and Eve's annoying nemesis, Summerset.

This book will draw you in right from the start and keep you hooked until the end. The character development is very well done, the pacing and tension are gripping, and the mystery is fascinating. Vengeance in Death is a worthwhile read. You will enjoy trying to discover the mystery behind the murders, and learning more about Roarke and Summerset's past. The interaction between Ian McNab (from the Electronic Detective Division) with Eve's faithful sidekick, Officer Peabody, will draw sparks. You will definitely like this book, especially if you have already read the previous books in the series.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
4 stars. It's a great series that I'm enjoying very much.
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
4 stars. It's a great series that I'm enjoying very much.
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

J. D. Robbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ericksen, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vengeance is mine; I will repay, says the Lord. - Romans 12:19
Vengeance is in my heart, death in my hand. - Shakespeare
The business of murder took time, patience, skill, and a tolerance for the monotonous.

Sixth Eve Dallas Investigation In Death

In a time when technology links the law and the lawless, predators and prey can be one and the same...

He is an expert with the latest technology ... a madman with the mind of a genius and the heart of a killer. He quietly stalks his prey. Then he haunts the police with cryptic riddles about the crimes he is about to commit--always solved moments too late to save his victims' lives.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425160394, Mass Market Paperback)

He is an expert with the latest technology...a madman with the mind of a genius and the heart of a killer. He quietly stalks his prey. Then he haunts the police with cryptic riddles about the crimes he is about to commit--always solved moments too late to save his victims' lives. Police lieutenant Eve Dallas found the first victim butchered in his own home. The second lost his life in a vacant luxury apartment. The two men had little in common. Both suffered unspeakable torture before their deaths. And both had ties to an ugly secret of ten years past--a secret shared by none other than Eve's new husband, Roarke.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:25 -0400)

New York in the year 2058 is very different from the New York of today. Guns have been outlawed but lasers can kill, and the police still have a hefty job to do. Two men are discovered murdered. They have links - both with each other, and with Eve's new husband, Rourke.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,354,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible