Who Is Vera Kelly? by Rosalie Knecht

Who Is Vera Kelly? (2018)

by Rosalie Knecht

What a treat this book was, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Vera Kelly is a great character, I liked her immensely! ( )
  RiversideReader | Sep 30, 2018 |
i mostly enjoyed this novel... though i did it a bit of a disservice reading it in my current state. my concentration and focus have not been great and i found the non-linear timeline–which i am usually totally fine with–a bit clunky for my brain. but that is my fault, not at all anything to do with the author or story!! knecht is a good writer and this was a compellingly different approach to the noir genre. ( )
  Booktrovert | Jul 8, 2018 |
Here’s a wonderful new spy, one who makes her presence known in the mid-60’s Buenos Aires during the season of coups. She’s CIA, and her role becomes much more challenging than she expects, including a hair-raising escape. I hope to see Vera leave her retirement and come back for more intrigue. ( )
  brangwinn | Jul 7, 2018 |
This is the gay lady spy novel of my dreams. ( )
  ablachly | Jul 5, 2018 |
I received this book for free from the publisher (Tin House Books) in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a slow burn. It’s not your typical spy novel. It’s on the slow side and there isn’t much action. I was expecting some twists and turns to the story, but that wasn’t what I got. It was a pretty straightforward plot. As a spy novel, it was a bit lackluster. I also felt that the spy parts could have been developed more because all the events seemed to move at lightning speed. I would have loved to seen more of Vera’s day to day life as a spy and more of her interactions with her fellow students.

As a work of literary fiction, this book was more successful. I actually enjoyed the flashbacks to her youth a lot more than the spy parts. I liked unraveling who Vera was and how she got to be the person she is. I particularly liked the parts about her sexuality because it shed light on how different things were for the LGBT community back in the 50’s and 60’s.

Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed by the spy aspect, but was satisfied with Vera’s character development. ( )
  jessicadelellis | Mar 10, 2018 |
On a Tuesday I came home from school to an empty house, watched the evening news, and then took two Equanil caplets lifted from my mother.

"New York City, 1962. Vera Kelly is struggling to make rent and blend into the underground gay scene in Greenwich Village. She's working night shifts at a radio station when her quick wits, sharp tongue, and technical skills get her noticed by a recruiter for the CIA. Next thing she knows she's in Argentina, tasked with wiretapping a congressman and infiltrating a group of student activists in Buenos Aires. As Vera becomes more and more enmeshed with the young radicals, the fragile local government begins to split at the seams. When a betrayal leaves her stranded in the wake of a coup, Vera learns the Cold War makes for strange and unexpected bedfellows, and she's forced to take extreme measures to save herself. An exhilarating page turner and perceptive coming-of-age story, Who Is Vera Kelly? is a novel that introduces an original, wry and whip-smart female spy for the twenty-first century"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,654,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible