dismiss

Carry on Mr Bowditch (1955)

by Jean Lee Latham

Other authors: Jim Weiss (Narrator)

A fictionalized biography of the mathematician and astronomer who realized his childhood desire to become a ship's captain and authored The American Practical Navigator.
    Justin Morgan Had a Horse by Marguerite Henry (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: similar main characters (Bowditch as a child, Joel; Bowditch as an adult, Justin Morgan); indentured children, drive for success

Started this as a read-aloud but finished the last half on my own. It's interesting, but slow and technically detailed, but not a whole lot of secondary character development. Reading it on my own was faster and more interesting, and I'll tell my kids about it. I doubt they'll want to finish right now, but maybe someday?

Lots die in this book, and it's abrupt and then they move on.

The math and navigation was interesting. Bowditch was brilliant, and I love that he wanted to teach others on the ship. He knew to be effective and to truly understand something himself, he'd have to explain it clearly so someone else could understand. ( )
  kaciereads | Apr 9, 2020 |
This historical novel tells the tale of Nathaniel Bowditch, whose mathematical genius advanced navigation in the early days of the late 18th and early 19th century. The imagined dialogue makes the history read like a true adventure novel. Nat Bowditch is a highly likable character, from his childhood, where the story begins, on into adulthood, ending on his return from a journey as ship captain. The ending was a little anticlimactic, but when you're telling a true story, you're kind of stuck with what really happened. ( )
  fingerpost | Jun 9, 2018 |
I'm impressed by the young Mr. Bowditch's ingenuity and courage, as portrayed in Jean Lee Latham's vivid retelling of his story. You'll find plenty of adventure, color, and hard work. ( )
  lcarter11 | Oct 23, 2017 |
This is a book.
  19vatermit64 | Feb 5, 2016 |
  Bookman1954 | Oct 21, 2015 |

Jean Lee Lathamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Weiss, JimNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cosgrave II, John O'HaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nat lay very still in the dark, trying to stay awake until his big brother, Hab, went to sleep.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,925,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible