The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts

The Freeze-Frame Revolution (edition 2018)

by Peter Watts (Author)

Series: Sunflower cycle (2)

"This--THIS--is the cutting edge of science fiction." --Richard K. Morgan, author of Altered Carbon How do you stage a mutiny when you're only awake one day in a million? How do you conspire when your tiny handful of potential allies changes with each job shift? How do you engage an enemy that never sleeps, that sees through your eyes and hears through your ears, and relentlessly, honestly, only wants what's best for you? Trapped aboard the starship Eriophora, Sunday Ahzmundin is about to discover the components of any successful revolution: conspiracy, code--and unavoidable casualties. Note from the publisher: The red letters in the print edition (highlighted letters in the e-book) indicate special bonus content.… (more)
Member:daxxh
Title:The Freeze-Frame Revolution
Authors:Peter Watts (Author)
Info:Tachyon Publications (2018)
Collections:Read but unowned

The Freeze-Frame Revolution by Peter Watts

This is some classy hard-hard SF. :) Black hole/worm hole drive using new and real theories? Hell yeah.

But beyond that, I love the whole idea of short periods of wakefulness during a single trip that takes 65 million years.

Add a rebellion against IBM... I mean HAL... I mean CHIMP, without expecting anything to go quite the way that 2001 went, or even remotely like it, and we've got a really fascinating story.

Watts knows how to build really fascinating locations and situations... maybe better than almost any other writer. He never rests on a single awesome idea but adds to it and introduces even more interesting wrinkles such as watching an AI dance, or truly alien intelligences, or maybe just freaking out because the rest of humanity must necessarily be dead during the scope of your mission.

But add a complicated revolution among sleepers using old D&D manuals? Adding jarring notes during a musical composition?

Oh yeah, the devil is in the details. :)

I'm enjoying this novel(la according to the author) through Netgalley as an ARC, but this wonderful reviewer here: Claudia's Review has pointed out that this is not a standalone story. She's even provided a link to the author's website for the other stories (free to download) as well as the suggested reading order. Thank you!

I might be reading out of order, but I don't mind it all that much. Watts is a thinking man's hard-SF writer. I expect to be at least a little challenged and delighted. As anyone who has read Blindsight knows. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
I received this eARC from Tachyon Publications on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way.

It wasn't a cage if it kept moving. It wasn't a prison if we could go anywhere.
The Writing and Worldbuilding

The writing style was very unique, so interwoven with Sunday's own voice that it felt like someone speaking to you a lot of the time (besides the science rants that really put the "science" in "science fiction"). Because of the science-y parts, I found the book actually quite difficult to get through, though the story did intrigue me. The climax was really great, especially because of all the build-up toward it. The ending, however, was very unresolved and just a little too open-ended for me. In other words, there was no clear conclusion and I was just left confused.

I feel like some aspects of this would have been better told as a film, namely characters. There were so many names being thrown around, and especially after science rants, I found myself having cleared all my name caches to make room for theoretical physics and quantum mechanics or whatever, and not knowing who the heck anyone was other than Sunday (obviously), Chimp, and Lian. If this was a film, then visuals would have played a huge role in helping me know who's who. This book gave basically zero physical descriptions, so all I had to go by was names.

I loved the themes and the grey morality of Chimp, though it was nothing I haven't seen before.

"I want to see how it turns out."

"It."

"Everything. The universe. This--reality. This hologram, this model, whatever we're in. It had a start, it's got an endpoint, and the closer we get to it the clearer it becomes. If we just hang in there long enough we'll at least get to see the outlines."

"You want to know the purpose of existence?"

"I want to know the destination of existence. Anything less is selling out."
The Characters

Sunday: She was sassy and interesting, but I got the sense that nothing really mattered from her. If she had died and another character took her place, I really wouldn't have cared tbh.

Chimp: I loved Chimp! He was honestly such an intriguing AI because he isn't a genius, and he has these almost human qualities to him that made him really interesting to read.

Lian: I liked her at first, but as it went on, she really started to piss me off.

All the people I constantly forgot existed: Well, they were background for the most part and when they weren't supposed to be background, I just got confused.

Conclusion

It was a very interesting read, and overall, I enjoyed it, but I'm unlikely to read anything else in this series (it's part of a series btw lol though you don't necessarily have to read it in order) or maybe even by this author. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone only used to reading YA, but people who already understand and enjoy hard sci-fi might really enjoy this. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
This is one of those books that leave me feeling like there is a significant message about people or society that I missed. There is a lot of technical mumbo jumbo that you have to slog through, but the underlying story is worth it. Perhaps I'll re-read it someday to see if I can figure out what it all means. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
What if, instead of just using gates to hop around the galaxy, you were on the crew that put the gates out there in the first place. What if you began to doubt the mission and the A.I. that was in control of keeping that mission going. How could you manage to fight back if you were only awake for hours or days once every five to ten thousand years.

The only way this book could be better was if it were longer. I highly recommend it to hard science fiction lovers. This is my first Peter Watts book, but I will certainly be getting more!!!
  Dragontears22 | Jun 20, 2019 |
I received an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

“I’ll kill you if I can.”
“I’ll save you, if you let me.”

My rating: 4 stars

Let me start with this: if you love science fiction that really goes into the science aspect and has long descriptions about objects and happenings in space, and also you love stories about artificial intelligence, this story is for you. Personally, I found myself scrolling through a lot of the heavy science because it really wasn’t working for me, but I still managed to enjoy this book immensely.

Personally, it was the relationships that really sold this book to me, especially the relationship between the main character and the Chimp. It would be easy to say that the two of them have a close friendship in the book, but of course, it’s much more complicated than that.

Read the full review on my blog. ( )
1 vote runtimeregan | Jun 12, 2019 |

Peter Wattsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Story, ElizabethCover & interior designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,935,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible