Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Affliction by Beth Gutcheon

I won an Advance Readers Copy in a GOODREADS giveaway sponsored by William Morrow. ( )
  tenamouse67 | Jul 22, 2018 |
While the cover and title may make this seem like a trendy, psychological thriller, this has more the pace of an old fashioned murder mystery. Friends Maggie and Hope have finally returned--although the first book didn't wow me like I thought it would, I kept checking the library to see when this new one would be out. Maggie says it best near the beginning. "At any stage in life it was important to have at least one person who was always delighted to hear from you.". That person is her friend Hope, who gives up book club to meet with Maggie after a murder at the Rye Manor School for Girls. Maggie is on campus for an annual evaluation and stays to help the very new and young headmistress navigate the investigation. ( )
  ethel55 | Jul 3, 2018 |
Rating 4.5. Maggie Detweiler and her friend, Hope, are investigating what begins as a missing persons case and becomes a murder. Maggie and Hope are wonderful characters. Maggie is your expert in all things school related, and Hope is a bit of a wild child, who thinks outside the box and thus uncovers things that otherwise might not come into play. She's also a hoot! The little asides between Maggie and Hope are lots of fun. Everyone should have a friendship in their lives like Maggie and Hope. As for the mystery here, there were lots of possibilities, including the students themselves. A little excitement here and there. A lovely beach read. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Apr 30, 2018 |
Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book in exchange for a review.

This is what passes for a murder mystery in the 1% crowd where even the police are happy to have their jobs done for them by wealthy women who have nothing better to do. Although we're meant to assume who the murderer is and what the motive is, we're never actually given any closure on that point.

Mindless, uninspiring read. ( )
  seitherin | Mar 20, 2018 |
Thank you to Goodreads for this win and my honest review.

I don't know if I should have read the first in this series to find out how Maggie got involved in sleuthing but I thought it was a bit far-fetched that she got so involved in it after just being on the school's committee to see if it should be funded or closed. Then she gets her friend involved too who turns out to have a better head on her shoulders to me.

A lot of involvement with students and their parents and murders too which was a nice diversion from who I call "Nosy Maggie." The murderer was not announced and not sure if it's because there is a sequel or what.

The title was a little silly since they called the woman who was initially murdered "The Affliction" because of her non-stop talking.

Would I recommend this book? Not sure. ( )
  sweetbabyjane58 | Jan 2, 2018 |

When a talkative teacher is murdered during the tensions of an evaluation to see if Rye Manor School will remain open, retired school head Maggie Detweiler is joined by madcap socialite friend Hope to identify a killer among multiple suspects.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,488,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible