17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore by…

17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore (2007)

by Jenny Offill

This is a book about a rambunctious girl who gets into a lot of trouble doing things she is NOT supposed to do. ( )
  kbesaw | Mar 9, 2014 |
This is a book about a little girl who would do naughty things, and in the end, she is told she is not allowed to do most of those things anymore. Appropriate for grades K-3.
  ashley19738 | Dec 11, 2013 |
This book is about a little girl who misbehaves and continuously gets told what she is not allowed to do anymore.

I liked this book because I feel like every child can relate to it in some way.

The ages/grade levels I would use this book for are 4-8/kindergarten-3rd grade.
  awanalex | Dec 10, 2013 |
This book is such a great enjoyable one children k-3 would be able to relate to a lot. It is about a girl who mischiefs around and isn't allowed to do 17 things anymore and why. I would love to use this book in my future classroom.
  jcpenny0 | Dec 9, 2013 |
In this book, a girl recounts 17 things she is not allowed to do anymore (use scissors, staples, etc.) and why. Each new example showcases her more and more outlandish behavior.

This is another book that uses illustration to add humor and levels of meaning to the story. The illustrator does a great job of using perspective and other tools creatively to give hints to tone and actions. The collage/ mixed media style is really creative and fun. Children will definitely relate to and delight in the misadventures of this young girl. The book's repetitive structure pulls kids in and builds suspense: what terrible thing will she have done next? I think elementary age children are the perfect audience for this book. I can imagine how hard kids would be laughing with each new reveal. ( )
  BrittaSorensen | Nov 11, 2013 |
For Theodora -- J.O.
For my cousin Geoff, who always made me laugh -- N.C.
I had an idea to staple my brother's hair to his pillow.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375835962, Hardcover)

From stapling her brother's hair to the pillow to freezing a dead fly in the ice cube tray, the impish protagonist of 17 Things I’m Not Allowed to Do Anymore never rests. This unflappable mischief-maker leaves a trail of exasperated family members, teachers, and crossing guards in her wake, but somehow we suspect she will grow up just fine…as a brilliant writer or inventor, no doubt. Told in the first person, the book is simply a series of the girl's "ideas" ("I had an idea to do my George Washington report on beavers instead") and consequences ("I am not allowed to do reports on beavers anymore") One imagines the list growing infinitely longer and more absurd; setting limits on our heroine's activities clearly has no bearing on her future behavior or creativity.

Nancy Carpenter's illustrations, rendered in pen and ink and digital media on crumpled and emery-boarded paper (!) are the perfect foil to Jenny Offill's hilariously dry text. The cool-as-a-cucumber narrator simply reports--the illustrations and our own imagination fill in the blanks. Wonderful. --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

A young girl lists the sixteen things she is not allowed to do anymore, including not being able to make ice after freezing a fly in one of the cubes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible