17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore by…

17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore (2007)

by Jenny Offill

2203052,892 (3.87)1

Summary: In this book, a little girl decides to do whatever she wants. However, everything she does, she is told she is not allowed to do anymore. She is very creative but the adults in her life don't think that her creativity is shown in the best ways. The book shows examples of things she's not allowed to do anymore, like glue her brother's slippers to the floor or give her brother the gift of cauliflower by flinging it at him. She does learn her lesson at the end when she apologizes for the actions she did throughout the day.

Review: The main message in this book was to show children that it is not okay to break the rules and it also shows how one must take responsibility for their actions. Even though the little girl made mistakes, she still realized that she was not allowed to make those same mistakes again. Thus, this book shows children that following directions is an important aspect when listening to adults. The girl also takes responsibility for actions when she apologizes to her mom at the end of the book for everything she did that was bad. The mom forgives her in the end, which shows how important it is for one to apologize and realize that they made a mistake. I thought this book taught a good moral lesson to students in a funny and creative way. ( )
  jbaile14 | Sep 24, 2014 |
Like a cross between Ramona Quimby and Calvin & Hobbes. ( )
  JennyArch | Jun 9, 2014 |
A young girl is full of such wonderful/dangerous ideas that grown ups just don't seem to understand. Between stapling her brother hair to his pillow and walking backwards to school, she is told she isn't allowed to do these things anymore. After attempting to run away she decides she is going to say the opposite of everything she means. This results in a sorry to hear mom which makes her mom happy.
  Shoshanabrmsn | Jun 8, 2014 |
This is a book about a rambunctious girl who gets into a lot of trouble doing things she is NOT supposed to do. ( )
  kbesaw | Mar 9, 2014 |
This is a book about a little girl who would do naughty things, and in the end, she is told she is not allowed to do most of those things anymore. Appropriate for grades K-3.
  ashley19738 | Dec 11, 2013 |
For Theodora -- J.O.
For my cousin Geoff, who always made me laugh -- N.C.
I had an idea to staple my brother's hair to his pillow.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375835962, Hardcover)

From stapling her brother's hair to the pillow to freezing a dead fly in the ice cube tray, the impish protagonist of 17 Things I’m Not Allowed to Do Anymore never rests. This unflappable mischief-maker leaves a trail of exasperated family members, teachers, and crossing guards in her wake, but somehow we suspect she will grow up just fine…as a brilliant writer or inventor, no doubt. Told in the first person, the book is simply a series of the girl's "ideas" ("I had an idea to do my George Washington report on beavers instead") and consequences ("I am not allowed to do reports on beavers anymore") One imagines the list growing infinitely longer and more absurd; setting limits on our heroine's activities clearly has no bearing on her future behavior or creativity.

Nancy Carpenter's illustrations, rendered in pen and ink and digital media on crumpled and emery-boarded paper (!) are the perfect foil to Jenny Offill's hilariously dry text. The cool-as-a-cucumber narrator simply reports--the illustrations and our own imagination fill in the blanks. Wonderful. --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:34 -0400)

A young girl lists the sixteen things she is not allowed to do anymore, including not being able to make ice after freezing a fly in one of the cubes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,887,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible