The Foretelling by Alice Hoffman

The Foretelling (edition 2005)

by Alice Hoffman

Tags:fantasy

The Foretelling by Alice Hoffman

Inspiring!
  MochiMama | Aug 21, 2013 |
Reminiscent of some of Ursula K. Le Guin's shorter works, this fantasy reads something like an extended legend moreso than a novel. It took some time to get started, unlike the other work I've read from Hoffman, but the narrator's soft and poetic voice ended up gaining momentum after a few chapters, when there was less exposition and more straightforward story-telling. And, for fans of story-telling and the old-fashioned feel that can come from a single narrator delivering a story with ease and scant details, this book will be a real find.

The characters are rendered beautifully, and the story itself is original and well-paced. After the exposition leads into the story, you can't help but be sucked into the world of the tale, and it's well worth the journey. This is a quick read, and one which wavers between dark fiction for a young adult and an adult's simply told fantasy, but I think it will be an ideal find for many readers. ( )
2 vote whitewavedarling | Nov 6, 2012 |
The Foretelling is Alice Hoffman’s fourth book for young readers, and what a great tale it is. Rain, the female hero, is a young Amazon princess who was born to Alina, Queen of the legendary Amazon warriors. She is destined to become the Queen of the Amazons, as told in the prophecies of her people. Told in spare, gorgeous way, we learn that Rain is raised by the other women of the tribe, her mother unable to be close to her as Rain is the child of a violent rape. Rain, like all girls of her tribe, is raised on mare’s milk (female horse) and nurtured with the strength of the warriors. She is a girl given to dark dreams and strange longings.
Rain is determined to win her mother’s love and become the best Amazon warrior there is. She practices constantly on her horse, learning tricks and becoming so one with it that she exceeds even Amazonian expectations. None of what she does wins her the love she craves though, and Rain grows up always feeling a bit different and alone. She must find her place within the tribe and become a Queen in her own right, and bring about a very different future for her people. This story is remarkable in its ability to bring a legendary and little-known culture to life. Alice Hoffman’s Amazons are larger than life, but very real and multi-dimensional. Rain’s quest to find herself and her place in the midst of war, turmoil and treachery is astounding and quite wonderful. It’s such an eloquent, believable and poetic story. I definetly recommend it! ( )
  ctmsnaco | Feb 25, 2012 |
I heard so many great reviews on Alice Hoffman and after reading Practical Magic I thought I'd give her another try. I decided to go with a young adult book because of the amount of language in Practical Magic. I am proud to say that there was no bad language (or very little) in this book. I am sorry to say that it was a similar writing style that continued to make me feel distant from the characters. There was still no connection to them at all. It was a fun story though and I did enjoy it. I just wish I had a better understanding of the main characters in this story. To see full review go here http://books4linda.blogspot.com/2011/03/foretelling-by-alice-hoffman.html ( )
1 vote Ziff130 | Sep 11, 2011 |
My favourite book of all time ;) ( )
  Marley_Easterbrook | Aug 18, 2011 |
You are the prophecy.
You are what is to come.
I was born out of sorrow, so my mother named me Rain.

A coming-of-age story that pierces the soul and heals the spirit, this is the tale of the future leader of the Amazon women warriors. Rain must hold fast to her inner warrior, but she is startled and mystified by the first stirrings of mercy towards the enemy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:01 -0400)

Growing up the daughter of an Amazon queen who shuns her, Rain rebels against the ways of her tribe through her sister-like relationship with Io and her feelings for a boy from a tribe of wanderers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,384,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible