The Foretelling by Alice Hoffman

The Foretelling (edition 2005)

by Alice Hoffman

Member:whitewavedarling
Title:The Foretelling
Authors:Alice Hoffman
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2005), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 176 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Fiction, Young Adult Literature, Fantasy

The Foretelling by Alice Hoffman

I am kind of under the impression that this book was marketed as a children's book, but really it is more appropriate for a young adult. I don't think mean appropriate regarding content, although I definitely think that some parts would go over a kids head, but I think it would be more interesting for a teen girl. This is the story of Rain, a product of the rape of the Queen of the Amazons. Because of the circumstances of her birth, her mother doesn't acknowledge her the way other mothers in the tribe acknowledge their children. The book tells the story of her life and how she grows and changes into the queen of the amazons. The writing style is almost poetic in a way and I was just completely caught up in the story. It's a quick read it gives a plausible story for how the amazons might have lived. ( )
Inspiring!
  MochiMama | Aug 21, 2013 |
You are the prophecy.
You are what is to come.
I was born out of sorrow, so my mother named me Rain.

A coming-of-age story that pierces the soul and heals the spirit, this is the tale of the future leader of the Amazon women warriors. Rain must hold fast to her inner warrior, but she is startled and mystified by the first stirrings of mercy towards the enemy.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:15 -0400)

Growing up the daughter of an Amazon queen who shuns her, Rain rebels against the ways of her tribe through her sister-like relationship with Io and her feelings for a boy from a tribe of wanderers.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible