Trouble In Glamour Town by S. R. Mallery

Trouble In Glamour Town (edition 2017)

by S. R. Mallery (Author)

641,827,647 (4.13)None
Member:jbergerot
Title:Trouble In Glamour Town
Authors:S. R. Mallery (Author)
Info:(2017), 202 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebooks

Trouble in Glamour Town by S. R. Mallery

Trouble in Glamour Town by S.R. Mallery is a 2017 publication.

Old Hollywood, romance, and a surprising murder mystery!

Rosie and her boyfriend, Eddie are on a movie set when the producer is killed by a long -range shooter. Eddie becomes a person of interest in the case right away, but it also looks as if the syndicate could be involved.

Meanwhile, Rosie struggles to please her mother, who lives vicariously through Rosie, and truly dislikes Eddie, who is not a part of the ‘Hollywood Elite’.

Meanwhile, Frank, the detective assigned to the case struggles with the corruptness in his department, and is tempted to nail Eddie for murder, even though he may not be guilty, just so he might have a chance with Rosie.

If you follow my reviews, then you already know I’m a sucker for stories centered around Old Hollywood. This story was truly a delight for me because the author cleverly inserted real movie stars into the plot.

Lon Chaney gets a pretty prominent role in the book, as does Clara Bow, and other popular actors in the mid-twenties make an appearance as well.

The author did a fantastic job of capturing the vernacular of the day, the moral codes, and the atmosphere in Hollywood in the 1920s. The authenticity created a realistic atmosphere which instantly transported me into the past and held me captive there until I turned the final page.

There is quite a bit going on in this story, such as Rosie's relationship with her cynical mother, Beatrice, the mob ties to the movie industry, the corruption in the police force, the Hollywood scandals and cover ups, and the Rosie’s romance with Eddie, which is tested on more than one occasion. But, the author, once again, managed to find a perfect balance between each thread, blending them together seamlessly.

The murder mystery was a real head scratcher. I didn’t have a clue who the killer was, not in the least- it never even crossed my mind! The glamour, the romance, and drama kept my mind occupied while the mystery gradually deepens, so that I never saw that twist coming!

I truly enjoyed this wonderful, well rounded story. It has everything you could ask for in a story, enhanced by impeccable pacing, and authentic dialogue, and great characters.

If you like the magic of old Hollywood, historical fiction, romance and a good old -fashioned murder mystery, you can't wrong with this book! I highly recommend it!! ( )
  gpangel | Aug 6, 2018 |
Rosie Paige is an actress in 1926. She has been pushed into the rush of 1920's Hollywood by her mother, Beatrice who believes that making Rosie a starlet will solve all of her own problems. Rosie would much rather spend time with her pets and her boyfriend, Eddie who helps out on set. When the Chester Harris is suddenly shot and killed on the set of a movie Rosie is in, Eddie is considered a prime suspect. However, with several similar shootings in the past, the police department needs to solve the case quickly and is willing to blame just about anyone in order to call the crime solved exposing the corruption, greed and political influences of the time.

Trouble in Glamour Town is a fast-paced historical mystery set within the mystique of 1920's Hollywood. This book caught my attention right from the start with an intense look at the murder from the killer's point of view. After that moment, we still have no idea who committed the crime and the mystery builds. From that point, Rosie took center stage. She is a strong character from the start making herself stand apart from the other Hollywood starlets that she is surrounded by. Despite Rosie's strength of character, she struggles to find her independence due to her dedication to her mother. Beatrice is the ultimate stage-mother taking a job as a seamstress to be close to Rosie as well as get all the inside gossip. Beatrice also uses the guilt of Rosie's father leaving them to oversee the comings and goings of Rosie's life along with their superintendent, Walt. Along with the murder mystery and the suspense of having Eddie as a suspect, this was also a coming of age story for Rosie. The shooting acted as a jumping point for Rosie to think about getting out of the corruption of Hollywood; she begins to think about her own dreams rather than her mother's and push back. The mystery itself grows gradually until the end. Along with adding suspense, the killing exposes many nuances of the time period including prohibition, sexuality, and crime. With an exciting and unexpected conclusion, Trouble in Glamour Town provides a fun and fast historical mystery.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review. ( )
  Mishker | May 21, 2018 |
I love books set in the 20s, and having this one set in Hollywood among movie stars is a bonus. That it's also a murder mystery books add to the charm as well. And it all starts with a film producer gunned down. Why and by whom is the big question? Could it be someone on the set, someone that has a grudge? Or is it mob related? Rosie didn't think that this murder would involve her, but when the policeman investigating the case takes an interest in her (personally wink wink) and her beau Eddie will this case be very personal.

This book is perfect for historical mystery fans, especially if you like me like the 20s (Hollywood). It does look like an open and shut case, but towards the end, you realize that nothing is what it seems and that it just how I like it when it comes to mystery books. The slow realization, when all the pieces start to fit and the pace starts to get more intense.

I also liked the cameos of celebrities that showed up in the book. Especially Lon Chaney, who played an important role in this book. I found the book to quite good, and I liked both Rosie and Eddie, although Rosie's mother was a bit strenuous, but her past makes that quite understandable. ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 14, 2018 |
Welcome to Los Angeles, California. The year is 1926, and the reader finds themselves smack dab in the midst of the Roaring Twenties. Prohibition is in full swing, and there is more booze sloshing around in the speakeasies than you can imagine. Are you there with me? Step back in time and be prepared to read what it was like back in the good ole’ days when Model T’s were king, and Flappers filled the streets.

On the set at Medford Studios, a cold-blooded murderer has just gunned down Mr. Harris, the “big-shot” Producer. Rosie Paige, an actress in the making and Eddie, her boyfriend, an assistant to Lon Chaney, are on the set when the murder occurs. Never in their wildest dreams did they think they would be involved in a real-life murder investigation. Besides, Rosie and Eddie have dreams they would like to fulfill if Beatrice, Rosie’s mother will let them.

The first officer to show up to the investigation is Detective Frank Lozano, who is fighting an alcohol-induced hangover from the night before. Lozano is a washed-up cop having lost his family to his drinking habit. Between the Mafia, bootleggers, and corrupt police officers, Lozano stands out as a decent guy who swears he will solve the murder. I liked his character. All of his faults made his journey all the more worthwhile.

Like many of the silent movies from the period, Trouble in Glamour Town leads the reader into the dazzling world of movies and movie stars, where behind the scenes, everything is not as lovely as it appears. Hollywood, where money-hungry producers are seducing young female wanna-be actresses for sexual favors, where dirty cops are on the take, and drunken parties hide the dreams and desires of many a young woman. Intertwined with this murder mystery is a novel rich with the lessons of the past that still scream to us from our current headlines today.

As with all of S. R. Mallery’s novels, the details and the historical facts that make the story come to life in your mind are enchanting. I heard the sound of the Model-T and experienced Clara Bow’s wild party first hand. As the mystery unravels, the murderer pops from the pages, a total surprise at the end.

This book was a fun read that I read in a couple of nights. If you love murder, mystery, and mayhem dive into pages of Trouble in Glamour Town. At $.99 this book is a steal! ( )
  ColleenChesebro | Jan 2, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,341,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible