Blacklist (V.I. Warshawski) by Sara Paretsky

Blacklist (V.I. Warshawski) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Sara Paretsky

Member:LcKayaker
Title:Blacklist (V.I. Warshawski)
Authors:Sara Paretsky
Info:Signet (2004), Paperback, 480 pages

Blacklist by Sara Paretsky (2003)

English (22)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (25)
Nach Jahren habe ich mal wieder einen V.I. Warshawski Krimi gelesen und fand den Krimi, wie die früheren Romane auch, wieder sehr gut.

Wobei ich nie ganz sicher bin, wie sehr ich V.I. Warshawski selbst als Charakter mögen würde, wenn sie meine Nachbarin wäre. Sie scheint sehr angespannt zu sein. ( )
  volumed42 | May 1, 2019 |
I listened to this book. V.I. is hired to check out a deserted mansion as the Grand Dame of the former owners who now lives in an apartment nearby sees lights in the attic of the house. Her son has hired V.I. for other work and asks her to check it out although he thinks his mother is probably just delusional as she is 92. She was a member of a very wealthy family as were the neighbors and friends. V.I. surprises a teenage girl, Catherine, who is a member of another wealthy family. V.I. used to really look up to her grandfather, Calvin Bayard. Catherine gets away from her and V.I. accidentally falls in a pool and discovers the dead body of a Black journalist. The police want to dismiss it as a suicide although why the man would come to this house to drown in the pool isn't really explained. The family of the journalist hire V.I. to investigate and it seems connected to the past, a time 40 years or so in the past when the McCarthy hearings were going on. The current government is also on their Arab terrorist paranoia and hunting a 18 year old Egyptian dishwasher who is just trying to support his family back home. Catherine is trying to hide him in the deserted house. V.I. tries to help him and hide him while investigating what happened in the past. Another good book about V.I.
  taurus27 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Sara Paretsky’s BLACKLIST ©2003 could have been written today; it doesn’t seem like we’ve learned very much in nearly fifteen years. Our Islamophobia today sounds as rabid as shortly after 9/11/2001. Private Detective V.I. Warshawski is shocked by just how many freedoms Americans gave up with the Patriot Act. Several storylines start in the mid-twentieth century, when McCarthyism and segregation were rampant. Activists and writers and dancers pushed xenophobic publishers, patrons and politicians. There is a very clear distinction between the supremely wealthy and the rest of us poor souls, in the past and the present. Seems like we haven’t learned much in the last sixty or seventy years.

And yet, this isn’t a political rant; or to be fair, the political message is what resonates when the story fades. The story gracefully unravels so many secrets until we are left with stark passion, and the heavy motivation to keep those betrayals hidden.

You will ponder over BLACKLIST for a while.

If you’re one of those people who like a Cast of Characters, you’ll find an easily downloadable one of BLACKLIST by Sara Paretsky on the review page on my website. Or write to me and I’ll email it to you. In case you’ve never heard why I think ALL authors should add a Cast of Characters EVERY TIME, here’s my reasons: http://www.reviewsbytdev.com/content/open-letter-authors

http://reviewsbytdev.com/content/BLACKLIST-Sara-Paretsky ( )
  TdeV | Sep 15, 2016 |
Past and present collide in Sara Paretsky’s Blacklist, as the rich and famous enjoy their luxurious abodes while a poor black journalist dies. V.I. Warshawski balances truth and justice as she strives to learn what happened and why, but influential antagonists seem eager to silence her. Rich old ladies are sometimes sweet, sometimes sour, tea is served, and legacies from the McCarthy era loom.

The story’s told evocatively and powerfully, in the voice of a very believable protagonist. Chicago’s streets and buildings are convincingly portrayed, together with the hills and mansions of the rich, the changing weather, and the machinations of police districts and procedures. Meanwhile discoveries are perfectly timed, bringing thought-provoking echoes of McCarthy in 911's Patriot Act.

Blacklist may be long, but it’s a fast exciting read, filled with fascinating twists and turns and mystery that’s deeper than it seems. Lives and decisions, past and present, are never simple, and the race to judgment is never safe. It’s a truly enjoyable, satisfying novel, with just the right blend of action, personal narration, and thought.

Disclosure: A friend gave me a copy, guessing correctly that I’d love it. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Aug 23, 2016 |
This was the first V.I. Warshawski novel I’ve ever read and most likely the last. I was not remotely impressed by the writing style, the plot, or almost anything else about the novel. Set shortly after 9/11, V.I. Warshawski takes on an assignment investigating lights going on and off in a mansion late at night when she stumbles across a dead body. This leads to an investigation where she uncovers secrets from a group of elite, rich families in the Chicago area who have these incestuous relationships with each other and covet gossip and secrets. Being after 9/11, the Patriot Act and potential Islamic terrorists come into play, even though it really has no place in this novel. It seems like it was just thrown in to meet the author’s political sensibilities.

One of my all time pet peeves is when the author of a genre book, in this case a mystery novel, continually inserts their political viewpoints. When I read a mystery, I’m reading for the mystery, and the author incessant political commentary only serves to take away from the story and annoy me. The mystery itself was weak, and the characterization was especially poor. I can’t think of any character here that I like. When the reveal of the secret finally happened, it was predictable and mundane. The killer wasn’t at all believable. In short, this book is not worth reading.

Carl Alves – author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Aug 12, 2016 |
For Geraldine Courtney Wright, artist and writer-valiant, witty and formidable-a true grande dame:

I cannot rest from travel; I will drink to the lees . . .
The clouds across the face of the moon made it hard for me to find my way.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451209699, Mass Market Paperback)

Privilege, politics, and perfidy jointly propel the circuitous plot of Blacklist, Sara Paretsky's 11th novel featuring tenacious Chicago private-eye V.I. Warshawski. By the time this story runs its course, V.I. will have harbored an alleged Arab terrorist, resurrected the ghosts of America's 1950s anti-Communist hysteria, and questioned the integrity of a man she once admired "to the point of hero worship." In other words, it's a typical case for this hard-headed, sarcastic, and perpetually sleep-deprived sleuth.

Still suffering from "exhaustion of the spirit" in the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks, V.I. is hired to find out who may be sneaking into a vacated suburban mansion. Geraldine Graham, the home's 91-year-old former owner, who still lives nearby, claims she's seen lights in the attic at night. Our heroine suspects this is simply a bid by the wealthy dowager for greater attention, but agrees to do some nocturnal prowling--only to stumble (literally) across the body of a dead black journalist, Marcus Whitby, in the estate’s ornamental pond and encounter a teenage girl fleeing the scene. The girl turns out to be Catherine Bayard, the granddaughter of Calvin Bayard, an unapologetically liberal book publisher who survived a hounding by the U.S. House Un-American Activities Committee in the '50s without being blacklisted like so many of his authors. Digging deeper, V.I. learns that Whitby was doing research for a book about an African-American dancer and anthropologist who had enjoyed Bayard's support before she too was branded a Communist. Was Whitby killed en route to visit Bayard, one of Graham's neighbors--and a man who has strangely vanished from public view? And is there any connection between this murder and the disappearance of an Egyptian dishwasher, or the recent demise of a right-wing attorney and Bayard foe, in whose apartment V.I. is attacked by an intruder?

Except for a few astounding turns of luck (including the 11th-hour discovery of a revealing audiotape left in a car's player), Paretsky rolls out a credible yarn here, enriched by meticulous character development and an agreeably ambiguous conclusion. The author's intention to link McCarthy-era abuses with post-9/11 government assaults on civil rights is obvious, without being didactic, and it adds currency to a fictional investigation that's already rife with sex, betrayal, and long-held secrets among the rich. It's good to see that V.I. the P.I. hasn't lost the compassion or righteousness that first made her attractive two decades ago, in Indemnity Only. --J. Kingston Pierce

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

Chicago detective V. I. Warshawski investigates the murder of an African-American reporter and walks into a web of sex, politics, corruption, and secrecy spanning fifty years--from the McCarthy era to the Patriot Act--that could ultimately kill her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible