The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for…

The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for…

by Laura Wattenberg

Recommended by Rebecca M.

One of the more useful baby name books out there. A brief introduction with some general advice (including, surprisingly, the instruction NOT to go to the hospital with a shortlist of names and decide once the baby's born; rather, the author recommends picking one name in advance and changing it if you feel it's necessary).

The main content of the book is names grouped by various whimsically-named categories, such as "ladies and gents," "70s and 80s," "nickname-proof." Each name is accompanied by a popularity ranking, suggested male and female sibling names, and a brief description of the name's history and connotations.

An index in the back lists each name and every mention by page number, so you can also look up names that way if you prefer. ( )
  JennyArch | Jun 2, 2015 |
Read from April 02 to May 12, 2014

I loved the categories and that there wasn't an absolutely ridiculous number of names included. I felt like just the best were here. I'll probably check it out one more time once we find out if it's a boy or a girl. ( )
  melissarochelle | Jun 24, 2014 |
This is the best baby name book I've seen. It doesn't focus on meanings and etymology, but that isn't the point of the book. I loved the Name Spotlights, especially the girls section (that's probably because I'm really picky on boys' names).

I did notice a few pronunciation errors, however. The correct pronunciation of Briony is BRIE-ən-ee, not BREE-ən-ee. Blythe is BLIEDH, not BLIETH. ( )
  kathleen586 | Mar 29, 2013 |
Assssssspiles of info for name nerds, and I guess parents. For five-star surfeit, check out the associated web app and blog. And stay away from Oona: that one's mine. ( )
  MeditationesMartini | Aug 28, 2010 |
An excellent source for baby names. My preferred way to use the book was to browse through the names and examine the brothers/sisters lists for similar names. The front material has some good ideas and the lists in the back are handy too. ( )
  VVilliam | Feb 10, 2009 |

Yes, your baby’s perfect name is out there.
The trick is finding it.

The perfect baby name will speak to your heart, give your child a great start in life—and maybe even satisfy your relatives.  But you can't expect to just stumble on a name like that in an A to Z dictionary or on a trendy list.

That’s why you need The Baby Name Wizard. Created by a name-searching mom, it uses groundbreaking research and computer generated models to pinpoint each name’s image, examine its usage and popularity over the last 100 years, and suggest other promising ideas. A perfect guide to the modern world of names, The Baby Name Wizard will engage you from the first name you look up and keep you enchanted through your journey to the just-right name for your baby.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:38 -0400)

An innovative guide to selecting the perfect name for one's child, using a buyer's guide approach that helps parents ask the right questions to choose a name specifically tailored to personal taste.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,468,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible