Naya Nuki: Shoshoni Girl Who Ran (Amazing…

Naya Nuki: Shoshoni Girl Who Ran (Amazing Indian Children Series) (edition 2000)

by Kenneth Thomasma, Eunice Hundley (Illustrator)

Member:averyregier
Title:Naya Nuki: Shoshoni Girl Who Ran (Amazing Indian Children Series)
Authors:Kenneth Thomasma
Other authors:Eunice Hundley (Illustrator)
Info:Grandview Pub Co (2000), Edition: Combined, Paperback, 175 pages
Tags:Core D, Reader

Naya Nuki: Shoshoni Girl Who Ran by Kenneth Thomasma

This book is about a young Shoshoni girl who was kidnapped from her tribe. She escapes and makes her way back to her people, having to over come many obstacles. It's a bravery and the strength to keep going even when it seems hopeless.
I love this book! I first came across this book then I was in the 3rd grade. Our class got to meet the author and he signed my book. It is one of my favorite books of all time!
In the classroom, the students could discuss the Native American culture. Also, they could discuss what they would've done in Naya Nuki's situation.
  Kandie1208 | Mar 27, 2011 |
I read this book aloud to a fourth grade class during a social studies unit on Native Americans. It is action-packed and keeps your attention from the beginning. Every time I would stop reading, the class would beg for more, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it so much it was hard to ever say "no." In addition to being full of adventure, there is a lot of information about Native Americans inserted in the story, including comparing the cultures of different tribes, what they ate, their shelters, what they wore, etc. My students learned important facts without even realizing they were learning! ( )
  enagreen | Nov 18, 2007 |
All of Thomasma’s books are problematic and cannot be recommended on any level. As an Indian, a parent and a teacher, I want better for my daughter and all children.

The story of Naya Nuki, an eleven-year-old Shoshone girl who, along with her best friend Sacajawea, is captured by an unidentified enemy tribe. The novel follows Naya Nuki from her bold escape, through her arduous 1000-mile solo journey back home to her people. A fast-paced adventure story, the novel contains some useful information about Shoshone life and customs, and, refreshingly, features a female as a strong, surviving hero. Illustrated with black-and-white drawings.

After being taken prisoner by an enemy tribe, a Shoshoni girl escapes and makes a thousand-mile journey through the wilderness in search of her own people.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,555,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible