A Lite Too Bright by Samuel Miller

A Lite Too Bright (edition 2018)

by Samuel Miller (Author)

292551,558 (2)None
Member:Jill41
Title:A Lite Too Bright
Authors:Samuel Miller (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2018), 480 pages
Collections:To read

A Lite Too Bright by Samuel Miller

Samuel Miller did a good job of writing a mystery of sorts while demonstrating his ability to skillfully write both poetry and prose. At times, A Lite...did not shine so brightly--it was flat and often dry--though I believe Miller worked hard to meaningfully interweave issues of mental illness, legacies, intergenerational relationships and more. ( )
  LaMaestra72 | Jan 9, 2019 |
Admittedly, it's been years since I read Catcher in the Rye. Seeing as this book is marketed as perfect for those who are fans of that book I thought that maybe I would at least like it. But I didn't

This book is about a guy named Arthur Louis Pullman who goes on a cross-country train trip to discover his grandfather's past. Years earlier his grandfather, also named Arthur Louis Pullman, took the same trip only he had dementia and no one knew how he ended up in a hospital several states away where he ultimately died. Arthur (the third) finds people along the way that came into contact with his grandfather and he learns some other things that help him deal with his own problems.

I was so bored with this book. Honestly, I have no idea how I got through it all the way and even the parts that were interesting were not all that engaging. I'm not a fan of road trip stories but I didn't think this would be all that boring. I didn't like Arthur at all, he wasn't unlikeable but he wasn't interesting either.

Maybe I have to go back and read Catcher in the Rye and see if I still like it because I do remember that my English teacher always said that there are two kinds of people: one who likes Catcher and one who hates it. Hopefully I still like it? ( )
  Jessika.C | Oct 23, 2018 |

Arthur Louis Pullman the Third has been stripped of his college scholarship, is losing his grip on reality, and has been sent away to live with his aunt and uncle. He discovers a journal written by his grandfather, the first Arthur Louis Pullman, a Salinger-esque author who went missing the last week of his life and died hundreds of miles away from their family home. Using the journal as a guide, Arthur embarks on a cross-country train ride to relive his grandfather's last week. His journey is complicated by a shaky alliance with a girl who has secrets of her own and by escalating run-ins with a dangerous Pullman fan base.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,419,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible