dismiss

No Immediate Danger: Volume One of Carbon…

No Immediate Danger: Volume One of Carbon Ideologies (edition 2019)

by William T. Vollmann (Author)

Series: Carbon Ideologies (1)

"The most honest book about climate change yet." --The Atlantic "The Infinite Jest of climate books." --The Baffler A timely, eye-opening book about climate change and energy generation that focuses on the consequences of nuclear power production, from award-winning author William T. Vollmann In his nonfiction, William T. Vollmann has won acclaim as a singular voice tackling some of the most important issues of our age, from poverty to violence to the dark soul of American imperialism as it has played out on the U.S./Mexico border. Now, Vollmann turns to a topic that will define the generations to come--the factors and human actions that have led to global warming. Vollmann begins No Immediate Danger, the first volume of Carbon Ideologies, by examining and quantifying the many causes of climate change, from industrial manufacturing and agricultural practices to fossil fuel extraction, economic demand for electric power, and the justifiable yearning of people all over the world to live in comfort. Turning to nuclear power first, Vollmann then recounts multiple visits that he made at significant personal risk over the course of seven years to the contaminated no-go zones and sad ghost towns of Fukushima, Japan, beginning shortly after the tsunami and reactor meltdowns of 2011. Equipped first only with a dosimeter and then with a scintillation counter, he measured radiation and interviewed tsunami victims, nuclear evacuees, anti-nuclear organizers and pro-nuclear utility workers. Featuring Vollmann's signature wide learning, sardonic wit, and encyclopedic research, No Immediate Danger, whose title co-opts the reassuring mantra of official Japanese energy experts, builds up a powerful, sobering picture of the ongoing nightmare of Fukushima.… (more)
Member:peopleslibrary
Title:No Immediate Danger: Volume One of Carbon Ideologies
Authors:William T. Vollmann (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2019), Edition: Reprint, 624 pages

No Immediate Danger: Volume One of Carbon Ideologies by William T. Vollmann (Author)

Vollmann writes for impoverished future humans, who are asking What were we thinking? Volume I is mostly about the aftermath of the Fukushima nuclear disaster. Vollmann visits multiple times, taking along a "pancake frisker" which provides radiation levels at the various locations he visits. ( )
  pheinrich | Jul 18, 2020 |
Everyone is encouraging that I power on through the next volume. There is some haunting journalism here. There's also a great deal of scattered analysis and attendant hand wringing.

My wife bought me both volumes for my birthday and they arrived while I was till on my sojourn at the resort. She read 100 pages and we discussed such yesterday. the helplessness of everyone. People acting in good faith. How Vollmann hectors people, particularly the 25 year old and asks why since she's Japanese she's comfortable nuclear energy given the history of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

It is from this position of impotence that the survey of radiation is especially nuanced. It is an invisible phenomenon, much like our strange non-empirical relationship with electricity and petrol. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,862,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible