Elevate: An Essential Guide to Life

Elevate: An Essential Guide to Life

2512607,257 (4)3

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've read a number of life-improvement frameworks presented in various books over the years. Some of 'em make for good solid tools, some decent and worth considering, and some a waste of paper and time. This one's closer to the upper end of that scale: not profoundly world-changing IMO, but good enough in that it pulls together a number of useful concepts—broken down into five perceptual "insights" underlying ten practical "skills"—in an understandable and usable way to be a useful read to anyone who's looking for self-improvement frameworks to learn and compare and consider using. ( )
  Thogek | Jul 9, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well written, personable, and attainable, this book is a step ahead of many self-help books I've read over the years.

While not necessarily earth-shattering, Elevate does highlight and streamline various suggestions found in other books in a way that makes it somewhat more fathomable, to me at least.

Grateful to have read it, and looking forward to incorporating a few suggestions into my life. ( )
  HippieLunatic | Jun 2, 2018 |
I usually don't gravitate toward self-help books because I am skeptical of "one size fits all" solutions for a wide range of people with different backgrounds, issues, and in varying stages of life. When I read the introduction to "Elevate", what immediately appealed to me was its flexible approach, inviting the reader to set their own pace and adapt the reading to their personal needs. The scope of this book quite large, so it is hard a write an in-depth reaction to something that will take a while to digest. This great scope has the advantage that most readers will probably find something that resonates with them, maybe even different things at different times. Beyond the personal usefulness of "Elevate", I was struck by its relevance to our current political environment regarding our personal biases, cognitive dissonance and our tendencies to perceive the world in a rigid, set way. While this is a personal guide, I think it provides food for thought regarding society at large. I look forward to delving further into this book in the near and distant future. ( )
  Dove. | May 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks for the inspiration. ( )
  TanyaTomato | Apr 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It was unique among the "self-help" books I've read in that you are encouraged to jump around or put it down and come back or realize every part isn't going to be applicable or a great fit. The quotes and personal stories throughout the book made it very relatable. Keep an open mind and be willing to try and fail were some of the major take home points for me. ( )
  Bricker | Apr 11, 2018 |

A modern world that is bursting with data can often make us feel even more lost as we struggle to find meaning and look for the answers to life's mysteries. Joseph Deitch shares his lifelong pursuit of wisdom and growth in an accessible, practical, down-to-earth gift to his readers. Elevate is a celebration of life and the potential that exists for all of us. It provides both answers and insights as it links awareness and action, East and West, ancient and modern, spiritual and scientific. It offers a formula for turning frustration into fascination and provides a universal framework for what works and why, what to do . . . and why we don't.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book Elevate: An Essential Guide to Life is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,569,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible