Suicide of the West: How the Rebirth of…

Suicide of the West: How the Rebirth of Tribalism, Populism, Nationalism,… (edition 2018)

by Jonah Goldberg (Author)

Member:alpacaherder
Title:Suicide of the West: How the Rebirth of Tribalism, Populism, Nationalism, and Identity Politics is Destroying American Democracy
Authors:Jonah Goldberg (Author)
Info:Crown Forum (2018), 464 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Suicide of the West: How the Rebirth of Populism, Nationalism, and Identity Politics Is Destroying American Democracy by Jonah Goldberg

Good subject. the Miracle, which equals the birth of capitalism and classical liberalism, and its tension with nationalism, populism and tribalism. The end message is how people are down on capitalism without recalling that they are likely to be alive and able to read in large part because or the Miracle (of which capitalism is one half).

Generally good writing if a bit too glib at times and deep in anecdotes but not in a discussion of the source material. I had just finished reading describing a person's theory that societies have formed around their energy source and kept expecting to see it mentioned, or the concept at least, but didn't. Jonah G stated that his editor cut quite a lot (1/3rd I think), but definitely could have cut even more. 3 1/2 starts for the content, 4 because the author weaved all of the content together into a story throughout, even it he took too many pages to do that. ( )
  ebethe | Dec 18, 2018 |
I saw Jonah Goldberg speak in Chicago when he was at the Printers Row Lit Fest. He is a staunch libertarian, who, along with Deirdre McCloskey has influenced my thinking greatly. Suicide of the West is a disquieting book to read as we have clearly drifted from our Founders. Goldberg is more anti-Trump than I am as he sees him as an outgrowth of the fundamental fissures and decline in our nation. I see him more as a transitional, populist figure that we get from time to time. Regardless of views, Goldberg's book is an important read and correctly identifies many of the difficult issues that we face. ( )
1 vote Mark.Kosminskas | Jul 31, 2018 |
Despite it's grim title, this is essentially an optimistic book, only because Goldberg makes a good case for saving American Democracy. And he does it with equal amounts of philosophy, political argument, and humor. It's a great read. ( )
2 vote RoseCityReader | Jul 5, 2018 |
Jonah Goldberg is a columnist for the National Review whose delightful and thought provoking writing makes the magazine worth reading. I therefore had high expectations for his latest book of political and economic philosophy, but found that it did not satisfy. He seems to say a lot in his book but without really saying anything.

His main thesis is that the tremendous material and political progress experienced by the world since 1700 is the result of what he calls the miracle of capitalism and Lockean political philosophy. In repeating his reference to "the miracle" he eventually sounds like a Pangloss telling us that this is the best of all possible worlds. I did not find him at all persuasive.

The one great virtue of the book is that it is one of those books you keep arguing with as you are reading it. ( )
  M_Clark | Jun 26, 2018 |

"With his trademark blend of political history, social science, economics, and pop culture ... Jonah Goldberg makes the timely case that America and other democracies are in peril as they lose the will to defend the values and institutions that sustain freedom and prosperity. Instead we are surrendering to populism, nationalism and other forms of tribalism."--Amazon.com summary.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,684,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible