Fairy Mom and Me by Sophie Kinsella

Fairy Mom and Me

by Sophie Kinsella

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fairy Mom and Me is a super light and easy read. The book is definitely geared towards young pre-teens though. While I've enjoyed other adult versions of Sophie Kinsella books, this one wasn't my favourite, it had a little too much 'fluff' for me. That being said I gave it to my niece at Christmas, who is 10 years old, and she enjoyed it. It is all about your audience! There are some spots that are pretty funny in the book and I like the idea of having a fairy Mom who isn't perfect all the time. ( )
  calicok3 | Apr 2, 2018 |
I was trying to give the book the benefit of the doubt, as I'm not a seven-year-old-girl, and so not the target audience, but,I do love other books for this age group, so that really wasn't the problem. In the end, the book was a little too heavy-handed, while still managing to be insubstantial. It will certainly have its fans, but I just wish it had been a little bit more fun. ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really wanted to love this book. But overall, meh. Sophie Kinsella is one of my top just for fun beach reads every year, but I just couldn't make this book work. Obviously this is far under my age bracket, but it had too many words without pictures for very young children, and in my reading was far too condescending and plotless for older children. When I was the age this book is presumably for, I was reading Laura Ingalls Wilder. This would not have worked for me then, and I don't think I could make it through just out of disinterest to read to a child now. ( )
  Antimonify | Feb 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thanks to Librarything and the publisher for a free copy of this book. Fairy Mom and Me is a fun read that I could see appealing to a Kindergarten to grade 3 audience. As a former teacher, I think there is a lot of opportunity to engage children, especially reluctant or nonreaders with the teacher reading the book and the children joining in on the repetitive parts. There are lots of fun, silly words like “weezi-weezi-weezi”, and the various spell names. I’m sure that young children would enjoy miming the actions to turn into a fairy and might even like to come up with their own special word. However, when reading the actions to become a fairy over and over, the part about “wiggling her behind” didn’t sit right with me. I question the appropriateness of that particular action, but overall think this book would be a fun interactive read. ( )
  paulamc | Jan 31, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An excellent choice for middle graders interested in fairies, cupcakes and mischief. Ella is an adorable girl who hopes to one day follow in her mother's foot steps and become a fairy. Ella is such a help with spells that it is hard not to admire her right from the beginning. A fun twist with modern fairy advantages such as fairy apps and a computawand. One misadventure after another will keep you tuning pages to see just how much more mischief she and her mother will get into.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 23, 2018 |

Ella Brook cannot wait to grow up and be a fairy just like her mom, even though her fairy mom's spells often backfire and Ella usually has to come to the rescue with a well-timed suggestion or manual clean-up.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Sophie Kinsella's book Fairy Mom and Me is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,554,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible