Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead

Succubus Blues (edition 2010)

by Richelle Mead (Author)

Member:lkmiller
Title:Succubus Blues
Authors:Richelle Mead (Author)
Info:Zebra (2010), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, My ebooks
Tags:fiction, fantasy, series, georgina kincaid, book 01, ebook, kobo, own, to read

Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead

A really good read. This book had been sitting on my shelf for years before I finally read it. I'd gotten it as a christmas present one year. I dived into the first chapter, and my young, innocent self was absolutely mortified. The first chapter shows our succubus heroine, Georgina, masquerading as a kinky demoness to play out the fantasy of a middle aged virgin in exchange for the ternal damnation of his soul. I promptly closed the book and ignored it until recently, when at the age of 21, and slightly more wordly, I decided to give it another shot. Now, the scene was amusing rather than scary, and I read on to find the book an enjoyable (though not entirely satisfactory) read.

The first scene is really misleading, as Georgina then spends most of the book acting rather chastely, fearful of sucking the life out of her romantic interests. She is a conflicted, broody succubus. She has a great narrative voice- the book had plenty of wit, and an easy rythm, easy to get lost in. The characters were complex, the romantic entanglements were charming and steamy, and I grew very fond of Georgina. She is charismatic, bookish, with dangerous abilities and a good heart.

The unsatisfying part came from the mystery element, which sort of made the ending fall flat. It's hard to say what ruined that for me, I guess I found the villain (and Georgina's reaction to them) to be less than credible, and the ending to be undefinitive. Nevertheless, I will keep reading this series, because it was quite fun and engaging. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | Mar 14, 2019 |
Another great recommendation! I have been avoiding reading this book for a bit now, and I really don't remember why!! The book was great and even though I normally don't get into reading demon books ( I'm more of a shifter/vampire girl) this one was great and kept my attention.
Georgina Kincaid is a reluctant succubus, she really doesn't want to be the one to lead "good" men astray and into sin, so she goes for the ones with low moral character. That in itself is a change, normally you find succubus' just don't care, but Georgie is a great change from the rest. The supporting characters are awesome and I really wish I had friends like that, demons, angels, vamps and an imp!! Of course she has "some" mortal friends also, even though Doug isn't in a whole lot of the book, he is a great character and I hope to see a little more of him in the next one.
The story line about the nephilim, and everything she went through to figure that out was written perfectly, I dislike when some authors just throw the info in there like the character is all knowing and doesn't need to figure out anything, but Richelle Mead got it down, giving us enough info to have our minds racing and then poof, we have it all figured out just as Georgie gets the last little bit of info!
The love triangle was a little played out, and really I had my doubts about Roman to begin with, he just seemed a little too pushy for me, and Georgie gave into him way too easily. And Seth, oh poor Seth... Pulled in by Georgie's charm and then pushed away. You could just tell that he was falling for her and trying not to push himself on her too much, but she goes for the one that just won't stop. I can't say I was completely surprised to find out whom the Nephilim was, but I was surprised that there were two in the city.
The ending gives me hope for Seth, and I really hope that the next one gives us a little more into their relationship. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
This was my first book for the VF club, and I'm glad I started with this one. I really liked the writing style overall. Very clean, quick read with great wording choices, good timing, and flow.

My few nitpicks:

1) I had the mystery pegged from the beginning, so no surprises there--it was pretty predictable.
2) I was annoyed by her constant whining about:
a) Being childless (I am childfree by choice and I simply cannot relate to those feelings at all; reading about them over and over will make me lose interest really quickly).
b) Never being able to have a true relationship with someone she actually likes because it would be dangerous for them (I mean, I get it that she has a conscious, but it was still kind of tiresome).

Overall, though, very surprised by how much I liked it. ( )
  wordcauldron | Jul 11, 2018 |
It was really nice getting back to the beginning of Seth and Georgina. Knowing what I know now, I saw a lot of clues that Mead dropped. Just as before, the first half of the book is pretty slow moving, but it was hard to put down about halfway through. ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |

Richelle Meadprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rodgers, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Statistics show that most mortals sell their souls for five reasons: sex, money, power, revenge, and love.

Succubus (n.) An alluring, shape-shifting demon who seduces and pleasures mortal men. Pathetic (adj.) A succubus with great shoes and no social life. See: Georgina Kincaid.

When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants, the wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything just for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical?

But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid's life is far less exotic. Her boss is a middle-management demon with a thing for John Cusack movies. Her immortal best friends haven't stopped teasing her about the time she shape-shifted into the Demon Goddess getup complete with whip and wings. And she can't have a decent date without sucking away part of the guy's life. At least there's her day job at a local bookstore--free books; all the white chocolate mochas she can drink; and easy access to bestselling, sexy writer, Seth Mortensen, aka He Whom She Would Give Anything to Touch but Can't.

But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle's demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won't help because Georgina's about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny...

"What an incredible debut novel! Succubus Blues is exciting, witty, sexy, intriguing and had me captivated from the first page." --Cheyenne McCray, author of Seduced by Magic

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:27 -0400)

Being a succubus sounds pretty glamorous. Shape-shifting, killer wardrobe, what's not to like? But Georgina Kincaid's life is far from exotic. Her boss is a middle-management demon with a thing for John Cusack movies, and she can't have a decent date without sucking away part of the guy's life, which means her crush on sexy writer Seth Mortensen is going nowhere fast.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,912,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible