Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch

Lies Sleeping

by Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Peter Grant (7), Rivers of London (7)

Book 7 of the Rivers of London series finally sees a resolution to a long running saga that has been ongoing since book 1. A huge police operation is put together so we get to meet all the regular characters and by the end of it even Molly gets a new friend. This series is still very much part police procedural as well as the magical elements being thrown around and that is even more highlighted with the Folly serving as a proper “nick” this go around and also with Peter now a Detective Constable. The reader also gets a bit more London/British history thrown in for good measure. My copy of the book also included a short story where Abigail takes centre stage as she investigates a school friend’s mysterious uncle who seems to have been around for over a hundred years.

I always enjoy spending time with Peter and the rest of the ensemble and this one proved no different. Although it might provide a conclusion to a main story arc it didn’t feel like an ending to the series and I’m happy to see another book exists on the series page already. There are definitely enough elements ongoing in both Peter’s personal and professional life to keep things interesting in future instalments. Even with all the weird stuff going on, I still like how these books stay very much rooted in a recognisable world and all the problems this brings with it. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Jun 11, 2019 |
A plot summary of this book that makes sense without spoilers is a tall order indeed. Suffice it to say that the Folly are involved in a major operation with the main Metropolitan Police to bring down the Faceless Man, and there are seriously deep roots to the potential magical consequences.

What I like about this series is simply tagging along with Peter and the gang. Peter is an engaging narrator and it has been a pleasure to watch him learn and grow as a practitioner of magic within the police force. I like seeing how the mundane and the magical interact, especially when it’s a scenario like Nightingale mastering “the dark art of Skyping”. I love Nightingale *heart-eyes emoji* And as a process nerd I LOVE seeing how Peter, Nightingale, Dr Walid, and Dr Vaughan are documenting their processes and procedures (and to be honest, sometimes figuring out what those procedures are in the first place).

It may be beneficial to read the books in the series fairly close together, in one long unapologetic binge, because there were parts where I knew I should be remembering something but I wasn’t quite getting there. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the ride. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | May 24, 2019 |
Nice! All those threads from The Hanging Tree start connecting up - well, ok, many of them do. Not all. The major villain is The Faceless Man, again, but directly this time rather than through yet another patsy. Various and assorted plots are variously dealt with - and Lesley is important on many levels. Glad to see she's not entirely on the other side... Peter seems to grow up a bit, too, in terms of accepting that he needs to study his own field. And some interesting mentions of other fields - the Rivers, of course, but new and different angles as well. Not an ending, I don't think, but some major stuff dealt with - and some very interesting things started. Hope there's more coming! ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 3, 2019 |
The final (?) confrontation between Peter Grant and the other denizens of the Folly and the Faceless Man.

I enjoy these books while I'm reading them but don't find them particularly memorable, so a lot of the time I don't really get the references to events in earlier volumes in the series. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Mar 30, 2019 |
Rezension folgt. Spoiler: geiler Scheiß. Echt mal. Und jetzt wieder warten aufs nächste.... ( )
  Powerschnute | Mar 21, 2019 |

Ben Aaronovitchprimary authorall editionscalculated
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walters, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The best revenge is not to become like your enemy. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 6
This book is dedicated to all the people whose job it is to rush into danger when everybody else is running in the opposite direction.
It’s tedious stuff, but it all goes into the great mill of HOLMES-2; the better to grind the flour of Truth and produce the wholesome bread of Justice.

"The Faceless Man, wanted for multiple counts of murder, fraud, and crimes against humanity, has been unmasked and is on the run. Peter Grant, Detective Constable and apprentice wizard, now plays a key role in an unprecedented joint operation to bring him to justice. But even as the unwieldy might of the Metropolitan Police bears down on its foe, Peter uncovers clues that the Faceless Man, far from being finished, is executing the final stages of a long term plan. A plan that has its roots in London's two thousand bloody years of history, and could literally bring the city to its knees. To save his beloved city Peter's going to need help from his former best friend and colleague--Lesley May--who brutally betrayed him and everything he thought she believed in. And, far worse, he might even have to come to terms with the malevolent supernatural killer and agent of chaos known as Mr Punch..."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible