If you leave me a novel by Crystal Hana Kim

If you leave me a novel (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Crystal Hana Kim, Greta Jung (Narrator.), Keong Sim (Narrator.)

14519138,485 (3.36)1
An emotionally riveting debut novel about war, family, and forbidden love, the unforgettable saga of two ill-fated lovers in Korea and the heartbreaking choices they're forced to make in the years surrounding the civil war that still haunts us today. When the communist-backed army from the north invades her home, sixteen-year-old Haemi Lee, along with her widowed mother and ailing brother, is forced to flee to a refugee camp along the coast. For a few hours each night, she escapes her family's makeshift home and tragic circumstances with her childhood friend, Kyunghwan. Focused on finishing school, Kyunghwan doesn't realize his older and wealthier cousin, Jisoo, has his sights set on the beautiful and spirited Haemi, and is determined to marry her before joining the fight. But as Haemi becomes a wife, then a mother, her decision to forsake the boy she always loved for the security of her family sets off a dramatic saga that will have profound effects for generations to come. Richly told and deeply moving, If You Leave Me is a stunning portrait of war and refugee life, a passionate and timeless romance, and a heartrending exploration of one woman's longing for autonomy in a rapidly changing world.… (more)
Member:redwritinghood38
Title:If you leave me a novel
Authors:Crystal Hana Kim
Other authors:Greta Jung (Narrator.), Keong Sim (Narrator.)
Info:Washington, D.C. : National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress, 2018.
Rating:**

If You Leave Me by Crystal Hana Kim (2018)

The prose is smooth and the three main characters were are drawn, but I found them tiresomely self-involved. I was hoping for greater details about what is was to like to live in Korea during and shortly after the war ... the feel of an ondol floor in winter, the quality of light through rice paper panels, the look and feel of traditional earthenware, graphic descriptions of war’s devastation and reconstruction. There’s a lot of description about food, but most of that is still recognizable. Without details of the period, the story lacks sufficient distinction. ( )
  Misprint | Aug 31, 2020 |
Good story ( )
  ibkennedy | May 17, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While I appreciated the historical setting and the overall story of If You Leave Me, I was never fully drawn into it. The language and sentiments often felt too contemporary in a way that took me out of the story. It was, however, an easy read and would be a good book for a long airplane ride. ( )
  eachurch | Jan 22, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
"If You Leave Me" is a debut novel set in Korea during 1951-1967. When the story opens, 16-year old Haemi Lee is living in a refugee camp with her mother and invalid younger brother. Restless and bored, she sneaks out at night with a boy named Kyunghwan to drink and have some fun. However, she is also being courted by Kyunghwan's wealthy cousin, Jisoo. Jisoo wants to marry Haemi so he'll have a family waiting for him at home when he returns from the war.
The story proceeds over a time of great upheaval for the Korean people. The narrative is split among five first-person views and leaps over periods of time so it can be challenging to stay engaged. The portrayal of Haemi, including the results of the choices she makes, is somewhat moving. ( )
  KatyBee | Dec 22, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Haemi and her family are forced to flee home during the Korean civil war. Haemi, her widowed mother, and tubercular brother, find a makeshift life as refugees along the coast. When she reunites with her childhood friend Kyunghwan, life feels a bit more normal and bearable. When Kyunghwan's cousin Jisoo, set's his sights on Haemi, she must decide, love, or security. The book follows her life as she marries, has children, and constantly thinks about her decision.

This book was an interesting look into wartime Korea, and how it impacted normal lives. I've read very few books in this setting and was interested to read from this time frame. The characters were richly created and dynamic. I thought the shifting points of view were well done and kept the story flowing over multiple time periods. Overall, highly recommended.
https://www.librarything.com/addbooks?plusbook=If+You+Leave+Me# ( )
  JanaRose1 | Nov 25, 2019 |
I the self
longing for cloud
the earth
the man
stand dreamily
like haze
on my eyelids from where
the war has scattered

---Chon Pong-gon, "Hope"
And for my sister, Diana
Kyunghwan and I met where the farm fields ended and our refugee village began.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Crystal Hana Kim's book If You Leave Me is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,648,272 books! | Top bar: Always visible