The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers…

The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World

by Simon Winchester

Recently added byReadMeAnother, private library, Scotland, hadden, e-zReader

I have high hopes for this. Looking forward to learning all sorts of stuff I don't know. My experience with Simon Winchester is that he can explain things in a way I understand. Plus, it's a very handsome book. ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Jun 18, 2018 |
A series of stories about the use of precision, and how more precise measurements are needed for the modern world. Beginning with the introduction of the steam engine in the 18th century, Mr Winchester shows how increasing the power of measuring distance, area, volume and mechanical tolerance, we have arrived at modern times and can use GPS and send satellites through the rings of Saturn. More than a series of biographies, this book recounts the trials of learning how to measure devices, and the opposition and the reluctance to reach either standards or accepted standards. One chapter that intrigued me was about the differences between Henry Royce and Henry Ford. Both men started motor car companies, but Ford used inter-changeable parts to a degree unknown, while Royce used precision engineering on each vehicle. How their visions were different showed the desire for accuracy, as well as the desire for output. Both men changed the way the world looks at cars today.
Recommended for those with an interest in the history of science and engineering, engineering, mathematics, and industrial development. A good read, too! ( )
  hadden | Jun 15, 2018 |
This just wasn't for me. I've accepted the fact that I'm not interested in everything.
  fhudnell | Jun 11, 2018 |
Another great book I had the chance to read almost in a row !
This reminds me how engineers were so creative in this modern and furious world - Actually kind of DaVinci pionniers undoubtly ;()
Particularly love Simon Winchester's storytelling science as well ...

May - 2018 ( )
  Fouad_Bendris | May 13, 2018 |
The Perfectionists: How Precision Engineers Created the Modern World by Simon Winchester is a very highly recommended examination of the history, science, and work of precision engineers along with biographical sketches of some of the influential engineers that helped develop technology to take us from the Industrial Age to the Digital Age.

The early attention to precision, accuracy, and degrees of tolerance ushered in the the Industrial Revolution, Scientific Revolution, and the Technological Revolution. What truly changed the way things were made was the creation of a machine tool - a machine to make a machine - along with standardized measurements. This allowed exact, multiple items to be made that worked identically in the machine application they were made for, thus ushering in the industrial revolution and assembly lines. All these machined parts must be potentially interchangeable one for any other. This potential for interchangeable parts requires precision in many areas: mass, density, hardness, temperature tolerance, length, height, depth, and width; measurable degrees of straightness, flatness, circularity, cylindricity, perpendicularity, symmetry, parallelism, and position - and there is even more to consider.

The man who can be said to be the father of precision and the Industrial Revolution is John “Iron Mad” Wilkinson. Some of the others whose contributions are covered are: Henry Maudslay, Joseph Bramah, Jesse Ramsden, Joseph Whitworth, James Clerk Maxwell, Prince Albert, Honoré Blanc, Eli Whitney, Henry Whittle, Henry Ford, Roger Lee Easton, Kintaro Hattori, and Thomas Jefferson, who saw the potential of machine tools and brought the idea to the USA, introducing the concepts that would allow manufacturing to take off.

Those who have read other nonfiction by Winchester (Krakatoa, The Map That Changed the World, The Professor and the Madman, Pacific, Atlantic, etc.) will appreciate this new educational and entertaining work that includes great stories along with scientific insight and his consistent attention to detail. As is expected, The Perfectionists is extremely well-written. Winchester takes a subject that, well, could be considered dull, and might be in lesser hands, but he makes it a compelling, engrossing subject, entertaining while giving us the history and the innovations. This is written for average people, not necessarily engineers (although engineers will appreciate it), which means even I could follow along and understand the scientific importance. The Perfectionists includes Illustrations, a Glossary, Bibliography and an Index.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of HarperCollins.
http://www.shetreadssoftly.com/2018/05/the-perfectionists.html ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | May 9, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,355,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible