God mod nordenvind by Daniel Glattauer

God mod nordenvind (original 2006; edition 2012)

by Daniel Glattauer, R

Series: Emmi/Leo (1)

Member:mepi
Title:God mod nordenvind
Authors:Daniel Glattauer
Other authors:R
Info:AV Forlaget Den Grimme ling 2012
Rating:***

Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (2006)

Recently added byBoona, Bartine, private library, h-elephant, sam.amadei, booksnmusic, Fede_, rcoaguila, kaystj

German (16)  English (14)  Spanish (11)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Czech (1)  Basque (1)  All languages (56)
This review and others posted over at my blog

From the back of the book: Leo receives emails in error from an unknown woman called Emmi. Being polite, he replies and Emmi writes back. A few brief exchanges are all it takes to spark a mutual interest, and soon Emmi and Leo are sharing their innermost secrets and desires. The erotic tension simmers, and it seems only a matter of time before they will meet in person. But they keep putting off the moment - the prospect both excites and unsettles them. And after all, Emmi is happily married. Will their feelings for each other survive the test of a real-life encounter?

I randomly requested this book from my swap site, Paperback Swap, and months later someone on Instagram recommended it to me. I actually forgot I owned this book (can you believe it) and was just recently asked again by the same IG user if I'd read it yet. When I thought about it, the title sounded familiar, and sure enough, it was sitting neglected on my shelf! I'm glad I picked up this book - it was a quick read and very engrossing.

Leo and Emmi are childish, stubborn, hypocritical and fantastically imperfect - they felt so real! Their correspondence started on accident and continued due to mutual curiosity, then deepened into something semi-inappropriate, due to Emmi's marriage. Emmi constantly mentions her happy marriage, yet expects Leo to dote on her. They will rapidly send one sentence emails to each other seconds after the latest response, then ignore each other for days. The whole situation felt very human and it posed a question (at least for me) about what is really considered cheating. Emmi and Leo plot ways to try to meet, though they always shy away - Emmi constantly talks about her marriage, but also seems to think of Leo daily. It's a mental relationship, but could it be harmful to her marriage? Glattauer made me feel for these characters - sometimes I was thinking about how frustrating they both were, other times I could really appreciate the connection they seemed to have. I was also desperate for them to meet, and yet, as Leo pointed out, it would completely change their relationship.
The ending of this book is FANTASTIC. I was shocked and couldn't be happier! I will say however, that years later Glattauer put out a sequel, Every Seventh Wave and right after I finished this I went on Amazon to read the synopsis and a couple of reviews. I wish I hadn't. Even just reading the plot of the second book ruined the magic of the first ending - I understand why he put out a sequel, but I think this first book would be stronger if left alone. From what other customer says, the second book isn't as strong as the first, and though it has good reviews, I won't be reading it. I enjoy where this book ended, and nothing against Glattauer's writing at all, I just want things to stay where they left off.

This book is short and well worth your time if you're looking for something contemporary. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Aug 17, 2014 |
Amazing book I have must say! Initially when I first laid hands on this book it was purely for its attractive cover and later for its summary but once I started reading it I just could not put it down even though I had so many half-read-books :P in hand. The concept and the writing format of this book is so original and matured that I was consumed by it till I finished. After having read so many love stories I can still say that ‘Love Virtually’ was a real different one. The email exchange between the two protagonist Emmi and Leo was witty, child like as well as very matured and sensible… having shared all most all what they feel in their respective emails they knew where to draw a line before it goes out of hand… I just can’t wait to read its sequel :) ( )
  Versha.Bharat | Jul 12, 2013 |
Wow! First book of 2013 and what a great piece of writing it is - brilliant!
  sally906 | Apr 3, 2013 |
Dos personas, que se ponen en contacto cuando una de ella manda un mensaje electrónico a otra por error, logran desarrollar una relación que se convierte en amorosa después de algún tiempo. Los personajes van mostrando diferentes aspectos de su personalidad durante el intercambio de mensajes, y van narrando aspectos de su vida no virtual. Es una novela ligera, con humor y que tiene continuación. ( )
  alalba | Sep 13, 2012 |
Boring and desperate (respectively) characters engage in a boring and desperate e-mail conversation. Personal messages can be exciting, creative, imaginative, but not in this dull humourless cabbage. I didn't find the ambiguity of the form (e.g. the identity of each character isn't certain) interesting. I didn't like the radio serialisation either. Forcing the gender of the correspondents by employing gendered voice actors didn't help. ( )
  NRTurner | Sep 4, 2012 |

Daniel Glattauerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bielenberg, KatharinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bulloch, JamieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a (non-series) prequel to

15. Jänner
Betreff: Abbestellung
Ich möchte bitte mein Abonnement kündigen. Geht das auf diesem Wege? Freundliche Grüße, E. Rothner.
Nicht ich bin pathologisch, sondern Sie benehmen sich verbalerotisch verhaltensoriginell, lieber Leo.
Wir dürfen nicht beginnen, in die Privatsphäre des anderen einzudringen.
Ich kann heute nicht schlafen. Habe ich Ihnen eigentlich schon einmal vom Nordwind erzählt? Ich vertrage keinen Nordwind, wenn mein Fenster offen ist.

'Write to me, Emmi. Writing is like kissing, but without lips. Writing is kissing with the mind.' It begins by chance: Leo receives emails in error from an unknown woman called Emmi. Being polite he replies, and Emmi writes back. A few brief exchanges are all it takes to spark a mutual interest in each other, and soon Emmi and Leo are sharing their innermost secrets and longings. The erotic tension simmers, and it seems only a matter of time before they will meet in person. But they keep putting off the moment - the prospect both excites and unsettles them. And after all, Emmi is happily married. Will their feelings for each other survive the test of a real-life encounter? And if so, what then? Love Virtually is a funny, fast-paced and utterly absorbing novel, with plenty of twists and turns, about a love affair conducted entirely by email.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,156,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible