Lagos Noir (Akashic Noir Series) by Chris…

Lagos Noir (Akashic Noir Series)

by Chris Abani (Editor)

Other authors: Chris Abani (Contributor), Leye Adenle (Contributor), 'Pemi Aguda (Contributor), A. Igoni Barrett (Contributor), Jude Dibia (Contributor)8 more, Onyinye Ihezukwu (Contributor), Wale Lawal (Contributor), Sarah Ladipo Manyika (Contributor), Uche Okonkwo (Contributor), Nnedi Okorafor (Contributor), EC Osondu (Contributor), Adebola Rayo (Contributor), Chika Unigwe (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
From the introduction: “Lagos is the largest city in Nigeria and its former capital. It is the largest megacity on the African continent, with a population approximating 21 million and is the 4th largest economy in Africa.”
“Underneath the government-sponsored billboard that says, Keep Lagos Clean, a city of trash, like the work of a crazy artist, grows exponentially.”
“Lagos never sleeps. Ever. It stays awake long after New York has faded in a long drawn-out yawn.”
“Each story totally captures the essence of noir, the unsettled darkness that continues to lurk in the city’s streets, alleys and waterways.”

An excellent collection of stories by Nigerian authors. I feel I gained both a fine introduction to the city, the larger region of Africa, and also enjoyed that part of humanity shared by all continents.

I've read a few of the others in Akashic Books' Noir series. This is my favorite so far; not as slimy/creepy as the last one I read - but still that note of darkness in each of these well written stories.

This would make a great jumping off point if you haven't read any of this series, as well as being of interest to those who want to read about the area, or enjoy more Nigerian authors. ( )
  streamsong | Sep 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I was first selected to read a book about Lagos, Nigeria I was a bit skeptical about getting a good picture of a country I know nothing about and will probably never visit because I am not a world traveler by any stretch of the imagination.
I am the slowest reader on the planet and apologize to Akashic for the delay in this review. That being said, Akashic delivered another winner in this Noir series. I am sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again about the Lagos collection; there was not a single story in this book I did not enjoy. After each story I turn to the end of the book and read the authors brief biographies. This makes me feel a strong bond between the story, the author and myself.
Killer Ape, Showlogo and For Baby, For Three, all completely different stories, each one in a separate Part of the book really peaked my interest. So did all of the other stories, these just remained with me a little longer.
I've read several books in Akashic's Noir series and have to say this was one of the most fluid and captivating selections of Noir. A big thank you to Akashic for choosing me to review this book! ( )
  campingmomma | Jul 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lagos noir is another excellent anthology from akashic books. Just like the other anthologies all the stories take place in and around the title city. Every one of these stories are excellent and i highly recommend picking up any book that akashic publishes. ( )
  NickKnight | Jul 13, 2018 |
Read my full posting here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.com/2018/06/lagos-noir.html

Another three Noir short story collections came to me from Akashic Books, the publisher that has specialized in noir collections from places all over the world. Each collection is edited by a native of that area, and feature stories by authors from the region. They are: Lagos Noir, Santa Cruz Noir, and Sao Paulo Noir.

I picked Lagos Noir to read first from this new batch of books because I had never read anything from Nigeria, although I have an advanced readers copy of Welcome to Lagos by Chibundu Onuzo, which I planned to read in conjunction with Lagos Noir. Haven’t gotten to it yet. Grandkids got in the way of reading time.

Here is what the editor, Chris Abani, has to say about the stories he chose. “The thirteen stories that comprise this volume stretch the boundaries of “noir” fiction, but each one of them fully captures the essence of noir, the unsettled darkness that continues to lurk in the city’s streets, alleys, and waterways.”

I would like to mention two stories. My favorite was Showlogo by Nnedi Okorafor. In this story, we meet Showlogo, the neighborhood bully, 6’4” of pure muscle with an attitude to match. He farms outside the city, but because farming isn’t making any money in Nigeria any more, Showlogo has just gotten a job as a baggage handler at the airport. At the same time, he continues to terrorize the neighborhood. When the shit hits the fan and Showlogo figures out he has to escape, he hides on a plane, heading for the U.S. What happens next leaves the reader going WHAT!

The other story, Killer Ape, is by the editor Chris Abani. It is about a murder case in 1987 Lagos. When the police detective arrives on the scene, it seems apparent that the pet chimp killed the homeowner. It seems bizarre, at best, but the poignant reason for the killing is heart wrenching. I was very touched by the “unsettled darkness” of the story.

Each story is skillfully chosen and placed in the anthology. I highly recommend this addition to the Akashic series.
  medowney | Jun 15, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a collection of 13 short stories about different places in Nigeria that deal with the daily struggles in life. Each story had just enough to hold your interest. The book is divided into three parts: Cops and Robbers, In A Family Way, and Arrivals and Departures. It's a quick read and enjoyable. I won this from LibraryThing Early Reviewer. ( )
  Draak | Jun 12, 2018 |

Okorafor, NnediContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Osondu, ECContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rayo, AdebolaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Unigwe, ChikaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"In the introduction to this excellent anthology, Abani welcomes readers to Lagos, Nigeria, a city of more than 21 million and an amazing amalgam of wealth, poverty, corruption, humor, bravery, and tragedy. Abani and a dozen other contributors tell stories that are both unique to Lagos and universal in their humanity...This entry stands as one of the strongest recent additions to Akashic's popular noir series." --Publishers Weekly , Starred review "The African megalopolis of Lagos, Nigeria, makes a perfect setting for mystery stories with a noir bent...With its breadth of contributors, this latest volume in the publisher's city noir series will satisfy both the fan of contemporary African fiction and the newcomer interested in discovering some new voices." --Library Journal "This anthology stands out because of its unique approach to crime and punishment, and its intense focus on the sociological aspects of crime in one of the world's largest, fastest growing and most complex regions. Lagos Noir is a must-read for crime lovers looking for something different to read in a highly saturated market." --Brittle Paper Akashic Books continues its award-winning series of original noir anthologies, launched in 2004 with Brooklyn Noir. Each book comprises all new stories, each one set in a distinct neighborhood or location within the respective city. Now, West Africa enters the Noir Series arena, meticulously edited by one of Nigeria's best-known authors.Brand-new stories by: Chris Abani, Nnedi Okorafor, E.C. Osondu, Jude Dibia, Chika Unigwe, A. Igoni Barrett, Sarah Ladipo Manyika, Adebola Rayo, Onyinye Ihezukwu, Uche Okonkwo, Wale Lawal, 'Pemi Aguda, and Leye Adenle.From the introduction by Chris Abani:Lagos has, like many coastal cities, a very checkered and noir past. It is the largest city in Nigeria and its former capital. It is also the largest megacity on the African continent, with a population approximating twenty-one million, and by itself is the fourth-largest economy in Africa...It is rumored that there are more canals in Lagos than in Venice. Except in Lagos they are often unintentional. Gutters that have become waterways and lagoons fenced in by stilt homes or full of logs for a timber industry most of us don't know exists. All of it skated by canoes as slick as any dragonfly. There are currently no moonlight or other gondola rides available...The thirteen stories that comprise this volume stretch the boundaries of "noir" fiction, but each one of them fully captures the essence of noir, the unsettled darkness that continues to lurk in the city's streets, alleys, and waterways...Together, these stories create an unchartered path through the center of Lagos and out to its peripheries, revealing so much more truth at the heart of this tremendous city than any guidebook, TV show, film, or book you are likely to find.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Chris Abani's book Lagos Noir (Nigeria) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,584,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible