Well, That Escalated Quickly : Memoirs and…

Well, That Escalated Quickly : Memoirs and Mistakes of an Accidental…

by Franchesca Ramsey (Author)

Member:flying_monkeys
Title:Well, That Escalated Quickly : Memoirs and Mistakes of an Accidental Activist
Authors:Franchesca Ramsey (Author)
Info:New York : Grand Central Publishing, 2018.
Collections:To read, Diversity, Borrow(ed)
Tags:essays, feminism, race, by Women of Color, new releases

Well, That Escalated Quickly by Franchesca Ramsey

I was really enjoying this book for the first seven chapters. And then I started to understand why she claims so many haters and trolls.

For the first part of the book, Franchesca was an insightful narrator, sharing her experiences with social media fame. She was humble, self-aware and willing to share. But then, for reasons I cannot fathom, she starts narrating in the second person and ruins the tone of the book completely. Personal experience morphs into dispensing unasked-for opinions, reminding me why the term "social justice warrior" has such negative connotations for so many people. Don't even get me started about her tips on "self-care," a term that healthy people employ with no real concept what it means to need to take care of yourself. She's not a bad writer but sigh, I cannot bear to have a narrator speak to me like I'm a recalcitrant child in need of correction.

I recommend reading chapters 1-7 and also 11 if, but just skip the rest of it, unless you're willing to mentally substitute "I" for every "you", which seems like an unnecessary burden to me.

Thank you to Grand Central who sent me an advance review copy of this book. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 23, 2018 |
Franchesca Ramsey worked as a graphic designer and had a YouTube channel with a small following on the side. Remember when the YouTube video What Girls Say went viral? Franchesca decided to make a response video called What White Girls Say…to Black Girls. Her video was edgier than What Girls Say because the things white girls say to black girls can actually be pretty racist. The truth of the video made it literally an overnight viral sensation. Franchesca found herself suddenly thrust into the position of being a spokesperson for black people on the subject of race and racism – something she didn’t bargain for when she posted her video and not something she originally wanted to be.

However, she plunged in headfirst and took that role on. She quickly learned that she couldn’t engage with every person and troll who contacted her via social media and set some boundaries for herself. That’s what most of the book is about – mistakes she made while engaging with people online and the lessons she learned from them.

Eventually, she landed the role of the host of MTV’s Decoded, an online show with episodes such as Will Multicultural Kids End Racism and Do All Muslim Women Wear a Hijab? I’ve watched several Decoded episodes and have found them enlightening and informative.

Franchesca takes her position as an online activist very seriously. However, I feel like she’s a little too worried about hurting someone’s feelings and can be too apologetic at times. (And this criticism is coming from a bleeding heart liberal.) Overall, I liked the book, especially her section on calling someone out vs. calling someone in. I appreciated her brutal honesty. She is not afraid to share her missteps and owns them all. This is a great book for people engaged in social media of all types. Recommended. ( )
  mcelhra | Nov 15, 2018 |
For my mother, the best friend, best blessing, and best role model a girl could ask for.
I know the exact date I went from being a nobody, minding my own business in my corporate retail job, to being "internet famous"--and inadvertently making a lot of girls cry.

"In this sharp, funny, and incredibly timely collection of personal essays, veteran video blogger and star of MTV's Decoded, Franchesca Ramsey explores race, identity, online activism, and the downfall of real communication in the age of Twitter rants and call-out wars"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,649,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible