No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: Diary…

No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: Diary of a Sixtieth Year (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Virginia Ironside

Member:Boobalack
Title:No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: Diary of a Sixtieth Year
Authors:Virginia Ironside
Info:Viking Adult (2007), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Aging Humor, Fiction, Funny!, Read

No! I Don't Want to Join a Book Club: Diary of a Sixtieth Year by Virginia Ironside (2006)

English (32)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All (36)
If I'm let loose in one of those "as many books as will fill this box for $5" sales, this book is bound to happen. Bought for title and the cover with only a cursory glance at the summary, I am not this books target market.

A diary-turned-memoir this is a book specifically aimed at post-menopausal, over 60 women who are also mothers; if the reader is also single, so much the better. As I'm only 1 of those things my ability to identify with Ironside is rather limited.

Still, eventually I'm going to be all those things except a mother, and sooner than I consider ideal, so it was compelling enough to keep me reading. Ironside starts out really rather unlikeable; at one point early on I told MT I'd be surprised if she'd kept any of her friends after the book came out because she was not kind at all. She excoriates anyone over 60 that does anything remotely active and waxes rhapsodic about the joys of getting old with "giving up sex" at the top of her list.

Then her son gives her her first grandchild and a not insignificant portion of the rest of the book is a gooey love fest with her grandson at the center. It's at about the same point in the book the it also became obvious that her whole never having sex again thing is going to go the way of all ridiculous resolutions - she doth protest too much. By the end Ironside is redeemed and the desire to call this a coming of age book for the senior set becomes irresistible.

This isn't a book I'd have spent money on, but as a book in a box full of books that cost me pennies, it was't bad. No doubt that if I were to reread this book in a couple of decades, I'll find much more to identify with. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 17, 2016 |
Marie Sharp may be a little creaky in the bones as she heads toward the big 6-0, but she is fine with it. She'd rather do without all the moving-to-Florida, bicycling-across-Mongolia-for-the-hell-of-it hoopla that her friends insist upon. She has already led an exciting life: She came of age in the 1960's, after all. Now, with both a new grandchild and a new man on the horizon, all she wants to do is accept the happy, sassy curmudgeon she has become and "start doing old things." ( )
  jepeters333 | Oct 16, 2016 |
Subtitle: Diary of a 60th Year
Well, that pretty much sums up the (non)plot of this charming little novel. Marie Sharp is turning 60 and she’s a little cranky. She’s perfectly content with her age and doesn’t understand what all the fuss is about. She doesn’t need advice on how to look and feel younger, thank you very much. One friend is determined to find a new lover, but Marie is horrified at the prospect, and (frankly) glad to have left all that hullabaloo behind her. Things change a bit for her when a new man enters her life – her grandson.

This was slow to get started and I began wondering if I was reading the same book that people had commented so favorably about over the years. But the diary style grew on me, as did Marie. I appreciated her no-nonsense approach to many events, her compassion when it came to her friends, her wild flights of imagination when considering how she might bungle being a Granny, her absolute delight at being so besotted by this tiny pink creature who actually smiled at her, and her slow awakening to the possibility of love coming into her life.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
well this one was hard going. I wanted to put it down as a bad read but was determined to finish it and glad I did. It got so much better at the end but I knew the ending before I got there it was so obvious. ( )
  s.a.l | Jun 24, 2015 |
Very funny and accurate. I love her biting voice and her perspective about age being a freeing concept. You get to do what you want, not what others expect of you. ( )
  SusanKrzywicki | Oct 24, 2014 |
Amusing, unguarded and of the moment, Ironside's observations will strike a chord with baby-boomers, in much the same way that Helen Fielding spoke to thirtysomething angst. What is interesting is how much, rather than how little, Bridget Jones and Marie have in common. Marie continues to look for love and sex in all the wrong places. Thank goodness, then, for Archie - childhood friend turned "dishy" widower, who sees Marie for the game old bird she is.

Chicks of whatever age, it would seem, need a Mr Darcy (along with an Ironside helping of K-Y Jelly).
added by PGCM | editThe Independent, Emma Hagestadt (Nov 1, 2006)

Für Patrick
Also gut. Hier ist es.
I'm just behaving like any sensible person would behave. OK : on the minus side, I'm dying very soon. On the plus side, however I'm never going to get cataracts or have hip replacements. Someone sniffed a thing about deaf aids through the letterbox this morning and I chucked it away with a light laugh. I'm never going to lose mu menory r mu teeth. I will never have to master a Zimmer frame- the list is endless, Marie.

A delightful novel about letting go of youth and embracing the sassy curmudgeon within

Don’t harass her about parasailing or taking Italian language courses. Forget about suggesting she join a gym. Marie Sharp may be a little creaky in the bones as she heads toward the big 6-0, but she’s fine with it. She would rather do without all the moving-to-Florida-bicycling-across- Mongolia-for-the-hell-of-it hoopla that her friends insist upon. She’s already led an exciting life: She came of age in the 1960s, after all. Now, with both a new grandchild and a new man on the horizon, all she wants to do is make the most of what she considers the most interesting stage of her life. In this wonderfully astute novel based on the author’s own experiences, No! I Don’t Want to Join a Book Club is the funny—and often poignant—fictionalized diary of an older woman . . . a decade or two past her prime and content to leave it all behind her. So don’t tell her to take a gourmet cooking class, and whatever you do, don’t you dare tell her to join a book club. Fresh and truly unique, moving gracefully on in years has never been more hilarious than in this forthright grandma’s take on the "third phase" of life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Approaching what she believes will be the most interesting period of her life, nearly sixty-year-old curmudgeon Marie Sharp eschews the trend-oriented activities of her peers in order to enjoy her relationship with a new grandchild and a new gentleman friend.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,810,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible