I Don't Like Gloria! by Kaye Umansky

I Don't Like Gloria!

by Kaye Umansky

I loved this book! The book is about a dog name Calvin and a cat named Gloria. Calvin is very upset that nobody asked if Gloria could live with him. Throughout the story, Calvin explains his frustrations about Gloria. For example, he says, “Nobody remembered my walk today. They were too busy with Gloria.” I also really liked how the illustrations went perfectly with the text. For example, on that page, there was a picture of Calvin’s “sister” hugging Gloria and Calvin was just sitting there, looking upset, with his leash in his mouth. There were also only a couple of words on each page, which made the book a short and fun read. At the end of the book, the family got a rabbit named Jeffrey. Calvin then says, “Now, nobody’s paying any attention to me OR Gloria. They’re too busy with Jeffrey.” The book ends with Calvin saying, “I still don’t like Gloria and Gloria doesn’t like me. But, at least we agree on one thing… We REALLY do not like Jeffrey!” Children can easily relate to this story because they may feel the same way Calvin did when they get a new sibling. Newborns require a lot of care so typically the older sibling does not get as much attention as before! There is no overall message in this book as it is a fun, silly book about feeling left out. ( )
  molliewaugh | Oct 18, 2014 |
Calvin the dog does not like Gloria, the new cat at his house. He does not want to share his things or his house with her! When she eats out of his bowl, Calvin growls at her and HE gets in trouble! She sleeps on his special cushion, she took over his yard and he cannot do anything about it. But when Jeffrey moves in, Gloria & Calvin bond! ( )
  julesm | Aug 18, 2008 |
Only a couple of sentences per page with nice double page illustrations. Good for toddlers probably or kids reading by themselves. ( )
  angellreads | Jul 12, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0763632023, Hardcover)

A jealous pup learns that rivals can become unexpected allies in a picture book loaded with preschooler appeal.

Why didn't anyone ask Calvin if it was all right to bring Gloria home? Now Calvin has to live with Gloria — and to make matters worse, this cat eats from his dog bowl, sleeps in his basket, and gets all the attention! Calvin will never like Gloria, and he will certainly never share anything with her. Or will he? With a kid-friendly text and light, expressive illustrations, this is the perfect tale for every child who has ever begrudgingly shared the spotlight.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:11:54 -0400)

The family dog tries to cope with the arrival of a new pet.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible