Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald by Neil…

Neil Gaiman's A Study in Emerald

by Neil Gaiman

English (4)  Dutch (1)  All languages (5)
A Study in Emerald
Author: Neil Gaiman, Rafael Albuquerque, Rafael Scavone, Dave Stewart
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
Date: 2018
Pgs: 88
Dewey: 741.5942 GAI
Disposition: Irving Public Library - South Campus - Irving, TX

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
An expected, unexpected visitor for breakfast brings a case to the Detective’s table. A tale that will take he and the Major down a path through the seedier parts of London and to the Palace itself. A murder has taken place. Someone of the Blood Royal has been assassinated...dismembered, one of the blood of the Old Ones. Come, the game is a tentacle.
Genre:
Comics
Manga
Graphic Novels Science Fiction

Why this book:
Gaiman, Sherlock, and Cthulhu. C’mon, ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Favorite Character:
Both my favorite and least favorite are the same character...the Detective.

The Feel:
It catches Victorian London and Lovecraft well.

Favorite Scene / Quote:
The Major found something in the deep caverns in Afghanistan, something many tentacled and ancient that whispered in his mind as he chased insurgents.

I dreamed of shadows that night, vast shadows that blotted out the sun and I called out to them in my desperation but they did not listen.

Hmm Moments:
Not a man. Green blood. The number of limbs. Hmmm. The Blood Royal has gone Lovecraft.

The story of the history of this world is horrifying. Lovecraftian horrors abound.

WTF Moments:
The idea of Watson and Holmes as part of the Cthulian society and defenders of the faith.

The Unexpected:
I swear I’ve read this before. Maybe in another format. Story deja vu.

I had read it before. It was part of a collection of Cthulhu stories. But it wasn’t in graphic novella form then.

I do not recall ever hearing of the Procrustian bed before. That’s disgusting.

Missed Opportunity:
Longer form, more story, more of the chess match between Moriarity and Holmes set against the backdrop of a Cthulhian world.

Last Page Sound:
A Study in Emerald is well done. The twist is great. Masterfully done. Well imagined.

Author Assessment:
Always.

Editorial Assessment:
N/A

Knee Jerk Reaction:
instant classic
___________________________________ ( )
  texascheeseman | Nov 15, 2018 |
The illustrations were wonderful, but the plot was a little bizarre, even for me. It's a mix of Sherlock Holmes and Cthulhu, complete with a gruesome murder mystery. A detective, too smart for his own good, makes his new roommate tag along to help solve a horrifying murder that has even left the police shaking their heads. Tinged with elements of the supernatural, and smart witticisms; this graphic novel is recommended for die-hard Gaiman fans only. ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 14, 2018 |
I was about to give up on these Dark Horse adaptations of Neil Gaiman short stories, but the pretty good mash-up of Sherlock Holmes and H.P. Lovecraft in this volume means I'll have to keep checking them out. The little twist at the end actually caught me off guard and elevated the story considerably. ( )
  villemezbrown | Aug 5, 2018 |
The latest in Dark Horse Comic's Neil Gaiman Library series, A Study in Emerald adapts the short story of the same name from the short story collection Fragile Things. As with all the Dark Horse adaptations, this has its strong and weak points, but does a more than admiral job of capturing the essence of the story. Without giving much away, this is obviously a pastiche of Sherlock Holmes with Lovecraft's Cthulhu universe and takes A Study in Scarlet as its inspiration, but also contains an unexpected twist at the end.

It has been awhile since I read the original short story, but I feel that they gave away some of the mystery to the story a little too early. I remember a real feeling of surprise when I figured out how everything was coming together and yes, that may have influenced me, but I don't think that someone reading this version will experience the same sense of wonder as all the pieces of the puzzle start coming together. Or maybe I'm just remembering this wrong and the original did give more away earlier on in the story. Either way, this is a great volume unto itself, but I recommend reading the original as well. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jul 18, 2018 |

Is an adaptation of

It is the immensity, I believe.
This is the graphic novel adaptation. Do not combine with the short story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,896,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible