The Governess Game: Girl Meets Duke by Tessa…

The Governess Game: Girl Meets Duke (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Tessa Dare (Author)

Series: Girl Meets Duke (2)

New York Times and USA Today Bestseller He's been a bad, bad rake--and it takes a governess to teach him a lesson The accidental governess After her livelihood slips through her fingers, Alexandra Mountbatten takes on an impossible post: transforming a pair of wild orphans into proper young ladies. However, the girls don't need discipline. They need a loving home. Try telling that to their guardian, Chase Reynaud: duke's heir in the streets and devil in the sheets. The ladies of London have tried--and failed--to make him settle down. Somehow, Alexandra must reach his heart . . . without risking her own. The infamous rake Like any self-respecting libertine, Chase lives by one rule: no attachments. When a stubborn little governess tries to reform him, he decides to give her an education--in pleasure. That should prove he can't be tamed. But Alexandra is more than he bargained for: clever, perceptive, passionate. She refuses to see him as a lost cause. Soon the walls around Chase's heart are crumbling . . . and he's in danger of falling, hard.… (more)
Member:bookishwitch
Title:The Governess Game: Girl Meets Duke
Authors:Tessa Dare (Author)
Info:Avon (2018), 384 pages
Collections:Read, Historical Romance, Romance, Your library
Rating:*****

The Governess Game by Tessa Dare (2018)

A governess becomes a Duke's mistress, for some reason.

2/4 (Indifferent).

I'm aware that this genre (which is still new to me) is known for being formulaic, but it's shocking just how much this is the same as the first book in the series. It isn't a sequel, it's a re-write. And in changing the characters' backstories to pass it off as a new story, they're rendered nonsensical. ( )
  comfypants | Jan 7, 2021 |
Listened to audio narrated very well by Mary Jane Wells.

Chase is the duke's heir whether he wants it or not. He's a terrible rake and too saucy for words. A lot of fun moments from this 'gentleman' who takes few things seriously. In saying that he is also very kind as he takes care of two young wards that have daily funerals for their doll and run every governess off with their antics.

Alexandra finds herself a governess of Chase's two young wards and let the fun begin. They don't want her and work devilishly hard to run her off, while Chase will do anything to make her stay.

A very fun, light-hearted read.

If you like my reviews I hope you will follow my blog. https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/

wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
4.5 Stars

I received with thanks an ARC copy of The Governess Game from Mills & Boon and Netgalley.

This is my true and honest review of The Governess Game (Girl Meets Duke #2). This was published on 6th September 2018.

This is book 2 of ‘Girl Meets Duke’ and follows Alexandra and Chase. Chase never wanted to be heir to his uncle’s dukedom but due to unforeseen tragic circumstances, he is now heir and guardian to two young and unruly girls. He has hired multiple governesses, and none have lasted. He thinks all is lost until Alexandra turns up to offer her services as a clock repair/maintenance lady. Due to a miss understanding that was started and year and a half before, Alex is offered the job of as his ward's governess. At first, she turns down his offer, but circumstances mean to has to take the offer. Alexandra knows that Chase is not the ideal employer as he is known as a scoundrel and rake well known in society as a seducer of women. But Alexandra can’t help the attraction towards the notorious rake.

Like all Tessa Dare’s books, this is romantic, funny and highly enjoyable. I loved Alexandra’s and Chase’s relationship. It was great to see other characters from book one of the series. This was just as adorable as book one. Cannot wait for book 2.

A great book anyone who loves romance and historical romance.
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |
It's impossible not to love a book that starts with a collision in a bookshop, even if the hero does make off with the heroine's prized find! Add in a heroine who sets clocks for a living, a neverending succession of doll funerals, and a sexy hero who is unexpectedly kind to all and you have a lovely love story. Well-written dialogue, engaging characters, and a delightful cast of secondary characters combine to make this book a great read. ( )
  ForeignCircus | Oct 24, 2020 |
This was much sweeter than I expected it to be. I wish I hadn't waited a year to read it! It was quite funny, as well, and made me tear up a time or two. I liked Chase, but of course, Tessa always makes excellent heroines. Alex is going to stay with me for a while. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For my children, the Darelings, because apparently I have a trend with this series - dedicating books to people I hope will never read them. My daughter served as a brilliant consultant on Rosamund and Daisy's characters, and my ever-clever son taught me that some kids learn best in unconventional ways. Darelings, I love you both. I promise that out of all my books, this is the one and only page I'll ever force you to read.

(Bonus: I've now embarrassed you in front of thousands of strangers. Mom achievement unlocked!)
Alexandra Mountbatten had common sense

He’s been a bad, bad rake—and it takes a governess to teach him a lesson

The accidental governess.

After her livelihood slips through her fingers, Alexandra Mountbatten takes on an impossible post: transforming a pair of wild orphans into proper young ladies. However, the girls don’t need discipline. They need a loving home. Try telling that to their guardian, Chase Reynaud: duke’s heir in the streets and devil in the sheets. The ladies of London have tried—and failed—to make him settle down. Somehow, Alexandra must reach his heart... without risking her own.

The infamous rake.

Like any self-respecting libertine, Chase lives by one rule: no attachments. When a stubborn little governess tries to reform him, he decides to give her an education—in pleasure. That should prove he can’t be tamed. But Alexandra is more than he bargained for: clever, perceptive, passionate. She refuses to see him as a lost cause. Soon the walls around Chase’s heart are crumbling... and he’s in danger of falling, hard.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,891,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible