The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn (1968)

by Peter S. Beagle

Series: The Last Unicorn (1)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "I do not know what you were like as a wood-nymph, madam, but you are a magnificent tree."
    The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle (aces)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Cecrow)
    The Ring of Allaire by Susan Dexter (humouress)
    humouress: An unusual equine is camouflaged by magic, and the quest cannot continue until the enchantment is broken.
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne)
    Spellhorn by Berlie Doherty (bookel)
    Spellfall by Katherine Roberts (bookel)
    Elfleda [short story] by Vonda McIntyre (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For another singular unicorn, in a tale more bitter than sweet. Available on the author's website.
    Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (cbcsms)
    Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (spiphany)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)

English (134)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (139)
This is a difficult book to classify. It's too dark to be a fairytale (not that fairytales don't have dark elements, but this book doesn't fit the tone), but it's not grim enough to be a modern fairytale. I don't think anyone could really tell this kind of story again, now that it has been done. The Last Unicorn is a category unto itself.

The first half of the novel is good but not great. There's a lot of slow bits, and none of the characters are particularly interesting. The Mommy Fortuna section in particular drags. But once the characters make it to King Haggard's castle, the story picks up, becoming something strange and lovely and a quality indefinable. The story drifts and lilts in a most perfect way, and the ending broke my heart a little.

During the first half, I wished desperately that I'd read this ten years ago. By the time I reached the end, I realized that this is a book without an expiration date. A ten-year-old and a forty-year-old can read it for the first time and fall in love with it. That's an unusual gift. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Bello, molto bello. Migliore del cartone!!!
Il racconto extra "Due cuori" è molto piacevole.
Consigliato ( )
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
Reading The Last Unicorn as if it were any other fantasy novel is a mistake. I can understand why so many readers are disappointed coming into it expecting the epic fantasy of Tolkien. Beagle was writing fantasy in the way that [a:William Goldman|12521|William Goldman|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1198704782p2/12521.jpg] and [a:Poul Anderson|32278|Poul Anderson|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1218818842p2/32278.jpg] did, with both an irreverence and a deeper understanding of what belongs in the type of story they're telling. This is a postmodern fairytale, full of digression and clichés and wholly self-aware of its charm.

I would never have suspected after seeing the film based on The Last Unicorn that it was so faithful to the book. Time is uncertain, both in its passage for the characters and the setting itself. It is full of lovely passages about mortality, the heart, stories and costs. Beagle's rendition of the unicorn is the most convincing I've ever read. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A famous text of the fantasy genre, although I suspect it owes a lot of success to the supposedly high-quality animated big screen adaptation from the eighties (which I've never seen).

A unicorn overhears that there may be none of her kind left in the world anymore, so she sets out in search of her kin. During her voyage, she meets and teams up with several colorful characters and overcomes many tough challenges.

The novel is quite frequently warm, funny, or both, and I really liked the writing style. As the author himself says, it's both a fairy tale and a parody of a fairly tale. It has fun playing with and parodying the legends of Robin Hood, dragon-slaying prince-heroes, powerful magicians and other fairy tale tropes. At the same time, it explores the themes of loneliness, kinship and love, if you want something deeper out of it.

The author also includes a few anachronisms, for comedic effect. Most of those are quite funny and I won't spoil them here.

Still, I did not exactly enjoy myself while reading it. With the exception of the failing magician Schmendrick, the characters are rather undeveloped, or distant, although that is by design at least in the case of the title heroine of the unicorn. I mean, I'm not even exactly sure what the point of the Molly Grue character is, a sort of maid Marian who abandons her undeserving "Robin Hood" and tags along on the quest. She's just ...there. The motivation of some other characters, in particularly the not exactly traditional bad guys, is also left a bit of a mystery and just what/who is the Red Bull, anyways?

I also could not get into the plot wholly and found my mind wandering often. The best part for me was the unicorn's time with Mommy Fortuna, a showbusiness witch touring the country with her magically enhanced menagerie. After that, there was a lot of wandering around, which not even Tolkien can do well.

In the end, it's still a warm, funny fairy tale parody that could benefit from a more intricate plot and characters, although I guess then it wouldn't be a fairy tale anymore. Hmmm ... Well worth the read, it's fairly short anyways. ( )
1 vote matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
dreamy, silly, and perfect... this is most definitely the sort of book I somehow wish I hadn't read, just so that I could have the experience of reading it for the first time all over again. ( )
  inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |

Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oakes, TerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprangers, KickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Dr. Olfert Dapper, who saw a wild unicorn in the Maine woods in 1673, and for Robert Nathan, who has seen one or two in Los Angeles.

In memory of Louis Untermeyer and Edgar Pangborn.
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.
"Mare? The unicorn trumpeted the word so shrilly that the man stopped pursuing her and clapped his hands to his ears. "Mare?" she demanded. "I, a horse? Is that what you take me for? Is that what you see?"
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.
The Deluxe Edition of "The Last Unicorn" includes the short story "Two Hearts" and a lengthy interview with the author. As such, it is a different work from regular editions of "The Last Unicorn," and should not be combined with them.

"The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". While related, they are not the same story and are therefore different works.

"The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". It is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel, not an identical work.

This Red Bull does not
"give you wings." It captures all
the world's unicorns.
(yoyogod)

Recounts the quest of the last unicorn, who leaves the protection of the enchanted forest to search for her own kind, and who is joined by Schmedrick the Magician and Molly Grue in her search.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,649,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible