Trump: Utopia or Dystopia? by JF Garrard

Trump: Utopia or Dystopia?

by JF Garrard (Editor), Jen Frankel (Editor)

Other authors: Shaun Avery (Author), Emad El-Din Aysha (Author), Marleen S. Barr (Author), Ross Baxter (Author), Jared Bennett (Author)27 more, Gustavo Bondoni (Author), Timothy Carter (Author), Eli Cranor (Author), Maggie DeMay (Author), Livia Finucci (Author), Bryan Grafton (Author), G Gray (Author), Jacob Guyon (Author), Mathias Jansson (Author), Koom Kankesan (Author), Joanna Koch (Author), Matthew Kresal (Author), Art Lasky (Author), Michael Manzer (Author), Chris McGrane (Author), Melissa R. Mendelson (Author), Will Morton (Author), Ira Nayman (Author), E Reyes (Author), Aaron C. Smith (Author), Brian J. Smith (Author), Priya Sridhar (Author), Ramona Thompson (Author), DJ Tyrer (Author), Wondra Vanian (Author), Paul Williams (Author), Emenual Wolff (Author)

542,034,260 (4.25)None

I have to admit, this was a tough book to review...

The premise was interesting- writers submitted short stories using Trump as a muse. They didn’t have to be about him, just inspired whether favorably or unfavorably; 32 stories and poems were then selected and compiled into this anthology. I felt almost all the stories chosen were well-written- I would give 4.5/5 stars for writing quality.

However, it was difficult getting used to varying tones between stories. I really enjoyed the humorous stories such as “A Breif Detour to Oz” and “The Brief Reign of King Donnie the Awesome” that satirized some of the mannerisms we’ve heard about since Trump hit the campaign trail. Other stories were rather dark and had a sense of hopelessness about them; as much as I enjoy the occasional distopian novel, after listening to all the negativity in the news, it’s hard to read stories that hit a little too close to home and portray a nightmare version of the future of the US.. 3/5 for enjoyment .

Overall; I would give Trump Utopia or Distopia 4/5 Stars.

*I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review* ( )
  amindy_2000 | Jun 30, 2018 |
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I found it fantastically entertaining. Kudos to all the authors included in this collection! ( )
  Cheryl_Nolan | Apr 26, 2018 |
The stories were good. They covered a plethora of Trump inspired scenarios. Like picking at a scab, reading this was horribly irresistible and best done intermittently. The editors clearly tried to balance their choice but using an unbalanced catalyst had consequences.I received this as a LibraryThing Member GiveAway. Thank you. ( )
  BridgitDavis | Apr 20, 2018 |
This was a free book I received from Library Thing. It was a shory, light hearted, humorous satire of Donald Trump as the Wizard of Oz. I normally don't read a lot of fiction. But found it to be just the thing for pulling up on my smart phone while wyling away time in waiting rooms. Though I winced at how corny parts were, it kept me smiling. Life's too serious to take too seriously. I'd rather laugh than cry. ( )
  CindyHMcReynolds | Apr 16, 2018 |
Trump: Utopia or Dystopia? is a collection of 30 stories, speculative fiction, centered on one theme – American President Donald Trump. Some stories are downright bizarre with others are closer to reality, but all of them carry a strange or exciting idea.
added by JFGarrard | editGoodreads.com, Ahmed Mahdi (Feb 18, 2018)

30 Great fiction/fantasy stories about the Trump Presidency. Among my favorites were 'King Donald', a fairy tale about the unintended consequences of building a wall around your kingdom. 'Duty' how a secret service agent, sworn to protect the president, deals with his obviously insane attempt to trigger a nuclear war. 'The History Changers' about a top secret, elite team tasked with erasing the scars of the Trump presidency from history.
added by JFGarrard | editGoodreads.com, Anita (Dec 26, 2017)

Garrard, JFEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tyrer, DJAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vanian, WondraAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Williams, PaulAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolff, EmenualAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
A Note from the Editors - If you ask anyone anywhere in the world “Why Trump?” you’re likely to get as many interpretations of the question as answers. No public figure in modern times has had the power to divide, complicate, and incite like The Donald. From his insistence that Barack Obama wasn’t born in the United States to his problematic relationships with underlings and foreign powers alike, Trump has inspired some, infuriated many, and perplexed all. Is he a genius? A moron? Insane? Crazy as a fox? Brilliant businessman, or dangerous bully? Is he self-made, or the entitled scion of wealth? Insider or outsider? Liberal or conservative?
Butch got straight to business: “I will call upon you daily, #Donald. One stupid tweet a day. I’ll even write them for you, and in return, you get the world.” The Apprentice by Eli Cranor
"President Trump had been covertly saving us from a zombie epidemic. The infamous wall that he wanted to build was not really intended for “bad hombres.” Trump Vs The #Zombies by E. Reyes
"You download the app, upload a selfie or picture & then you base the severity of your self-mutilation on the number of likes, hence the tree branch and the number of whips I’d given myself." Notifications by Brian J Smith
"The President was of two minds as well as two incarnations. Time-travel from 20 years in the future? Puh-leez! It was ridiculous, and stupid. Like Hillary Clinton’s hair." Twice Upon A
Trump by Timothy Carter
“You just look mean,” Dorothy replied. “A lot of people automatically assume that I’m mean. It’s a phenomenon known as ‘Resting Witch-Face,’” Glinda said unhappily. A Brief Detour to Oz by Chris McGrane

Warning! This book is full of alternative facts!

Donald Trump: 45th President of the United States, businessman and television personality, iconoclast and polarizer. This anthology is a time capsule which captures the hopes and fears, thoughts and ideas of writers from all over the world who were asked to share a story in which Trump is the muse. He does not have to be the main character, however, the story must show the type of world which might result from his policies.

The many worlds created includes:
* an app which requires self-sacrifice to prove that one is a true American;
* a wizard who can make dreams come true in exchange for good PR;
* a smart politician who created the wall to stop the zombies;
* Secret Service agents making difficult choices to save America;
* medieval kings demanding loyalty from both men and nature;
. . .along with people trapped in apocalyptic worlds containing vampires, a never ending trivia game show, clones, aliens and more!

Prepare to laugh, cry and become angry enough to fire the people around you (or maybe not)!

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

JF Garrard's book Trump Utopia or Dystopia Anthology was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

JF Garrard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author JF Garrard.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,917,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible