The Bartered Brides by Mercedes Lackey

The Bartered Brides (edition 2018)

by Mercedes Lackey

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:The Bartered Brides
Authors:Mercedes Lackey
Info:DAW
Collections:ebooks, Working on
Tags:!Po, Fic, SF, __make_cover, !import181127

The Bartered Brides by Mercedes Lackey

Bluebeard and Holmes and Magic, Oh My! I thoroughly enjoy Holmesian fiction, so I expected to like this book and I did. Holmes is really least in sight, so Nan, Sarah, and Watson shine in this tale. And Lestrade? My favorite quotation was about him: Sarah had thought Lestrade couldn’t get any redder. She had been wrong. He turned from the color of a strawberry to the color of a beet.

So with all this going for it, why was I not totally thrilled with the book? I think the gruesomeness of the murders got to me. And for the first time that I can remember Mercedes Lackey has put an easily recognizable political figure in the book and done it in a highly uncomplimentary fashion. I read fantasy to escape from some of the unpleasantness in real life and don't enjoy real life rearing its ugly head so obviously.

Fans of the series will most likely enjoy the book as will those who enjoyed the earlier Holmes books in the series. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Dec 7, 2018 |
Holmsian horror!

Lackey's Sherlock Holmes trope with a touch of horror is vastly engaging.
Sherlock and Moriaty have perished over Ravensbruck Falls. Elemental masters John and Mary Watson, occultists Nan Killian and Sarah Lyon-White find themselves enmeshed in a struggle with a necromancer who just might have had links to Moriaty's network. Headless bodies are beginning to turn up, dressed in white garments. Brides! But for what purpose?
Disturbing developments see the Watson's targeted by the unknown adversary. All must be vigilant as danger looms on all sides.
The introduction of the spirit Caro, is an interesting addition to the mix. Sarah and Nan along with their feathered companions, Neville the raven and Grey the African parrot, fierce protectors of the girls in the occult adventures.
I initially started reading with a somewhat jaundiced attitude but as the story moved on I became well and truly ensnared in its twists and turns.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Oct 15, 2018 |
Sherlock Holmes has been reported killed, although a few associates know better. Unfortunately, there is a necromancer in London. The Watsons and psychics Sarah and Nan are called in when the headless bodies of young women start turning up, but they do not have anything like Holmes's expertise. But they do have other skills....

Not as good as the rest of Lackey's Elemental Masters series, but not awful. Fans will want to read this. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Sep 14, 2018 |
To the memory of Harlan Ellison. Irreplaceable.
The calendar read June 3rd.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,689,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible