Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis by Len Wein

Swamp Thing: Dark Genesis

by Len Wein

1203141,951 (3.62)8

‘Who really is the Monster?’ (p.69)

In this volume we read the eight pages of the Swamp Thing’s origin. And in the next first ten issues the Creature meets Arcane and his un-men, the Patchwork man (a creature who came from V. Frankenstein), a Werewolf, an unusual Witch, an Alien, Batman, M’Nagalah (a character from Lovecraft), and several Zombies.

In my opinion the best are the number 4 (with the Werewolf), 6 (a Swiss - clock - village), and 9 (an Alien who needs the Ama).

‘Rain: some say it cleanses the all-too-impure heart -- others proclaim it the sorrow of the Gods, regretting the tragedy their golden hands have wrought ... the tragedy that has long known as Man’ (p. 27)

‘You stayed in that mental shadowland, chained in your brother’s dungeon, refusing to accept what you’d become ... until the day the door opened ... and a more awesome horror stood framed in the light ...’ (p. 76)

‘But, as usual, the words are wrong! It’s never over! The end?’ (p. 198)

P.S. Two question: Where is the fourth plane’s engine? (see page 69). Why are the clocks wrong? (See pages 142 and 143). ( )
  GrazianoRonca | Jul 25, 2010 |
Hokey and dated as hell, but the birth of a great character and some memorable images. ( )
  hazzabamboo | Jun 25, 2009 |
Len Wein's Swamp Thing offers two versions of the story - the first in this volume is the story of Alex Olsen, turned into Swamp Thing through the jealously of another who coveted his wife. It was a sweet few pages where a true love is saved, but not reunited and a trinket lost forever but unable to be cried over. Len Wein didn't want to continue it - he felt that he and Berni Wrightson done a perfect story and didn't want to continue it further. They were being noble!

And so the story of Alec Holland and his transformation into Swamp Thing was born. After all, there was nothing wrong with a new Swamp Thing. The story was better for it. Instead of a small tale of jealousy, a wide-sweeping tale of international espionage, secret scientific research and murder takes shape. Swamp Thing is created and immediately believed to be responsible for the death of the very man he is...and through a series of events must protect the person that has vowed to destroy him.

This is more than a simple comic book hero story, and yet all of the elements are happily there to lap up in full. We have our reluctant hero, protecting the weak and sacrificing himself for the greater good. At the same time, it's a story about monsters and their origins. It questions the monster within and without, believed and perceived.

Dark Genesis does have it's DC roots firmly on the ground. A trip to Gotham City does produce a cameo from Batman, so you're very aware of the Universe Swamp Thing inhabits. ( )
  stephmo | Jan 31, 2009 |
We really didn't think we were going to create a legend. (Introduction)
I cannot remember the morning anymore -- but I know the evening well!
Consider this scene -- and decide for yourself: Who really is the the monster?
Oh, NO...not another mindless mob...?!?

GRAPHIC NOVEL. Listed in Stephen Weiners 101 Best Graphic Novels. Exploring issues of the human condition this is the tale of biologist Alec Holland who is transformed into a swamp creature by an explosion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,027,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible