Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for…

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors: A Search for Who We Are (1992)

by Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan (Author)

Reinhabitation
  hadwalmer | Dec 29, 2014 |
A look at the evolution of humanity, spending quite a bit of time on the mechanisms of evolution, then on the capabilities and social lives of our closest primate relatives. A bit dated in places, such as his plug for group-selection, but overall rather good. Perhaps I find the topic a bit overdone, and so I was never really that enthused by the book. Solid, though, and thought provoking in many places.
3.5 oc ( )
1 vote starcat | Aug 11, 2014 |
One of his best books. Thoughtful and to the point. A must read. ( )
2 vote robrod1 | Aug 21, 2010 |
Fascinating and well-written, this is the book that helped me finally feel like I understand evolution. I think it is the “evolution for dummies” book that everyone should read to understand how we got here and where we came from. Excellent! ( )
1 vote eheleneb3 | Feb 22, 2008 |
This was a fascinating book. I'd like to read more of his work. ( )
2 vote eslee | Aug 8, 2006 |

Carl Saganprimary authorall editionscalculated
Druyan, AnnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thus she spoke, and I longed

to embrce my dead mother's ghost

Thrice I tried to clasp her

image, and thrice it slipped

Through my hands, like a
shadow, like a dream.

may have
what it takes
Introduction
We were very lucky.
The immense, overpowering blackness is relieved here and there by a faint point of light—which, upon closer approach, is revealed to be a mighty sun, blazing with thermonuclear fire and warming a small surrounding volume of space.

"Dazzling...A feast. Absorbing and elegantly written, it tells of theorigins of life on earth, describes its variety and charaacter, and culminates in a discussion of human nature and teh complex traces ofhumankind's evolutionary past...It is an amazing story masterfully told."
FINANCIAL TIMES (LONDON)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:31 -0400)

World renowned scientist Carl Sagan and acclaimed author Ann Druyan have written a ROOTS for the human species, a lucid and riveting account of how humans got to be the way we are. It shows with humor and drama that many of our key traits--self-awareness, technology, family ties, submission to authority, hatred for those a little different from ourselves, reason, and ethics--are rooted in the deep past, and illuminated by our kinship with other animals. Astonishing in its scope, brilliant in its insights, and an absolutely compelling read, SHADOWS OF FORGOTTEN ANCESTORS is a triumph of popular science.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible