Silent Victim by Caroline Mitchell

Silent Victim

by Caroline Mitchell

A fabulous tale of deception and intrigue with some twists I saw coming and some I didn’t. At first the constantly jumping timelines annoyed me but I soon settled in and adapted easily. Not the most suspenseful book I have read but certainly not predictable. ( )
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |
Silent Victim was my Kindle first pick for February 2018. It was a quick read & sadly, I could see the premise of the story happening today. The way Emma was chosen & groomed was sickening. Well written & emotionally intense. ( )
  LiteraryOkie | Feb 27, 2018 |
I just could not get into this book. I persevered until the husband starting doubting her. It was just too far fetched and I really didn't care what happened to the characters. Too bad I wasted my Kindle First pick on this. ( )
  songbird72 | Feb 25, 2018 |
The Good. Great plot, well handled. Keeps you wanting to read right to the end. Twists and turns. One or two rather obvious, but most a good surprise.
The Not So Good. It's a warning to schoolgirls about predatory men, and to murderers to cover your tracks, but who is it aimed at? Reads like a YA novel. Or maybe a TV pilot. The language is simple, but there's an abundance of jaded metaphors and adjectives. The houseplants are "dusty". Things are "bathed in light". Characters have "shackles of grief." Homes are "bright and airy". And that's just one page. I got into the habit of skimming phrases, looking for the next plot development. Pity. The plotting deserved more. ( )
  PhilipJHunt | Feb 18, 2018 |
I love dark psychological suspense, and was looking forward to reading this one. The story intrigued me at the start, but things, for me, fell apart as they went along. I'll do my best to explain without spoilers.

The story is told via three narrators - Emma, her husband Alex, and the supposed dead man Luke - all in first person. We also go back and forth with three timelines: 2017, 2013, and 2002/2003. All the transitions are clearly marked at the start of the chapters, so you need to pay attention to the year and the narrator's name. I had no problem with this layout, though I'm not a fan of this much back-and-forth storytelling.

Early on, we're treated to Luke's psychopathic narration, and we see his seduction of teenage Emma. This is handled well, in that we witness the way a predator grooms a child and we feel for Emma's situation. The problem in giving Luke this narrating part and showing us exactly what happened is that it takes all suspense away from Emma's current part. As the story unfolds, everyone but we readers is questioning whether Emma has made up the whole thing. Is she crazy? Is she the one obsessed? I would've liked to be asking those same questions along with the other characters.

The pace is slow through the first 3/4 of the book. We spend a whole lot of time in each character's thoughts, mulling over the same thing, over and over. The suspense quickly turned into tedium for me.

There isn't a whole lot of character development. We only see them through the lens of the specific situation. I found it difficult to connect with any of them, and I just didn't feel the emotion I should have given such a powerful topic.

I saw the twists coming early on, though I have to say that I expected a slightly different take on one of them. I can't get into the specifics, and will only say that it changed my opinion of Emma. The way the twist played out made me lose sympathy for her. More importantly, I couldn't make the leap of someone in her situation choosing as she did in such a calculating manner.

The last quarter of the book speeds up considerably. The outcome is predictable and, sadly, by the time I got there I found I didn't really care.

*This was my Kindle First choice for February.* ( )
  Darcia | Feb 9, 2018 |

THRILLER / SUSPENSE. Emma's darkest secrets are buried in the past. But the truth can't stay hidden for long. Emma is a loving wife, a devoted mother...and an involuntary killer. For years she's been hiding the dead body of the teacher who seduced her as a teen. It's a secret that might have stayed buried if only her life had been less perfect. A promotion for Emma's husband, Alex, means they can finally move to a bigger home with their young son. But with a buyer lined up for their old house, Emma can't leave without destroying every last trace of her final revenge...Returning to the shallow grave in the garden, she finds it empty. The body is gone. Panicked, Emma confesses to her husband. But this is only the beginning. Soon, Alex will discover things about her he'll wish he'd learned sooner. And others he'll long to forget.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,592,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible