Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Spook in the Stacks: A Lighthouse…

The Spook in the Stacks: A Lighthouse Library Mystery (edition 2018)

by Eva Gates (Author)

Member:Yak_Litsy
Title:The Spook in the Stacks: A Lighthouse Library Mystery
Authors:Eva Gates (Author)
Info:Crooked Lane Books (2018), 250 pages

The Spook in the Stacks by Eva Gates

This is a pretty good cozy series. I love the idea of a library in a lighthouse, and I do like Lucy. This was a fun read. It's Hallowe'en in Nags Head North Carolina, and the library is getting all decked out for the fun. During an afternoon performance a former, unliked resident of the area is found dead amongst the rare books stacks on the third floor of the Brodie Island Lighthouse Library. Lucy is the unfortunate one to find him, and she is reluctantly drawn into another murder investigation. There are lots of spooky happenings in keeping with the Hallowe'en theme. Charles (Dickens) the cat helps with the investigation. Lots of fun and a light read. ( )
  Romonko | Feb 14, 2019 |
Lucy Richardson is assistant librarian at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library, where she also lives on the top floor. It's close to Halloween, and even though she doesn't care for the holiday, the employees are decorating the library with themed decorations, due to library volunteer Louise Jane McKaughnan. Louise Jane is also a thorn in Lucy's side, because she wanted Lucy's job - not caring that she didn't qualify for it.

Jay Ruddle, a wealthy man who has an extensive and valuable North Carolina historical collection is considering the library to house the documents. On one of his visits he wants to look in their documents room, which is kept locked. But when he doesn't return Lucy goes looking for him and finds him strangled. No one seems to know how or when anyone entered the room, and no one seems to know who killed him.

There is also the matter of Ruddle's granddaughter Julia, whom regular resident Theodore "Teddy" Kowalski, seems to have taken a liking to; but Ruddle's employee Greg has taken a definite dislike to him.

Now Lucy and her friends need to find out who killed the man and why if they want to even be considered for the collection; but was the death about the collection or was it something else entirely personal?...

This is the fourth book in the series, and unfortunately, I found it rather boring. I really tire of the 'evil nemesis' in cozy mysteries (and other books) and Louise Jane is one of the worst. Does this woman suck lemons every morning? Because it seems her goal in life is to harass and pick at Lucy at every opportunity and no one - not even Lucy - tells her to knock it off and act her age. It's very tiresome and I wish she'd just disappear forever. After all, she's a volunteer and doesn't need to be at the library on a daily basis, causing trouble.

Lucy also states how she doesn't have a sense of humor, and I believe it. She's one of the most boring women imaginable. She's just plain dull, and without the interaction of the usual cast of characters to help her along, one sees just how lifeless she truly is.

The book itself was just so-so, with local legends seemingly coming to life on Halloween, but it wasn't enough to keep me interested. What really irritated me the most was that Teddy actually did something heroic, and in return a nasty trick was played on him. Lucy, who knows his past, didn't bother to say anything to him about it, which is unforgivable, in my opinion. It makes her a bad friend indeed.

I also felt it was wrong to try and force Julia into a relationship that wasn't good for her and seemed rather manipulative. In the end, when the murderer is discovered, it only reinforced the fact that some things and people are better left alone. Not the best entry in the series, and I really wish I could recommend this book, but it's not to be. ( )
  joannefm2 | Feb 9, 2019 |
The fourth book in the Lighthouse Library Mysteries finds the Lighthouse Library in the Outer Banks getting ready for Hallowe'en. Lucy is not crazy about the holiday, but with the enthusiastic volunteers she jumps in with costumes and events. With a model of a ghost ship and Louise Jane giving talks about local legends there is a lot going on. When Jay Ruddle, a wealthy senior announces that he is ready to give up his historical papers to either a library or educational institution, the Lighthouse Library is in the running. This brings Jay and his granddaughter Julia into the library to check out the rare books room. When Jay is found dead in the room, Julia is the prime suspect. Lucy tries not to get involved, but she and Bertie, the library director are sure that she didn't kill her grandfather. Can they find the real killer before someone comes after Julia? With all that is going on, when Lucy starts to see ghostly apparitions and hear things, she is starting to think that some of Louise Jane's stories might have something to them.

I find this series is very character driven. Lucy is a great MC, with a lot of friends, outside interests and is quite intelligent. Then there is Theodore “Teddy” Kowalski. I am still not sure about him. He has an affected English accent and seems to put on airs, that I am not comfortable with. He was featured quite a bit in this book and we did get to see a softer side to him, with a bit of toned down creepiness. We get to know the library staff, Lucy, Bertie, Ronald, and Charlene better in each installment of this series. I absolutely love Charlie, named for Charles Dickens, the library cat. He really is a special animal and just senses when someone wants or needs to give him a pat or a scratch. I love the setting in these books, a library in a lighthouse fascinates me. I have been to Nags Head and really enjoyed the area, so all that adds to my enjoyment of this series. The author's writing is descriptive and the story is well paced. The murder itself was very intriguing. It seemed that with the victims unseemly past, there were many people that disliked him, but would they kill him? There were plenty of red herrings in this story and I was completely surprised at who the murderer was. A great cozy that can be read as a standalone, but I have read two others in this series and recommend you start at the beginning so you do not miss any character development. Great job Eva Gates. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Halloween in North Carolina’s Outer Banks is always special. This year it becomes seriously tricky when librarian Lucy stumbles across something extra unusual in the rare books section: a dead body.

Wealthy businessman Jay Ruddle is considering donating his extensive collection of North Carolina historical documents to the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library. Unfortunately, while the library is hosting a lecture on ghostly legends, Jay is murdered in the rare books section. Now, it’s up to Lucy Richardson to use her detective skills and discover who is responsible for this wicked Halloween homicide.

Series: A Lighthouse Library Mystery - Book 4
Author: Eva Gates https://www.lighthouselibrarymysteries.com/
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Publisher: Crooked Lane Books http://www.crookedlanebooks.com/

Publishing Date June 12, 2018

The Spook in the Stacks is a delightfully fun read that doesn’t require it to be Halloween to enjoy. Lucy is a mild-mannered Librarian whose only real goal is to be happy. Whether that is with the town mayor, Conner or by herself really doesn’t matter. She loves her job and her small apartment high above the lighthouse Library, and she has no intention of leaving either any time soon. Her fur companion, Charles is the perfect library cat, and her protector when she thinks things may not be what they seem to be inside the old Lighthouse.

The characters throughout this book and the series are very well written. They have complexities and habits that are woven into the story seamlessly. They are typical of a small town and yet uniquely different in many ways. Lucy’s boss and the ever-present, Theodore make the story come to life as unknown facets of their life and character are slowly revealed to the reader.

Of course, Nags Head is a beautiful location filled with history and charm. During Halloween, there is any number of ghost stories in the small sleepy town that rival those of locations much older and far more historical. Yet it appears every time a person walks down the sidewalk they trip over a new historical fact or myth. The character of Louise Jane brings all the stories to life at the library for young and old.

The plot is kept in mind throughout the action at all times. There are no deviations along the way from the murder to the solution, and although the solution comes unexpectedly, it is handled with care and heroism. The writing is smooth, clean and filled with enough detail to keep the reader engaged.

I happily recommend The Spook in the Stacks to readers of all age. If you enjoy a fast-paced, original mystery with wonderful characters, lovely locations, and libraries filled with books, you will enjoy this book and series.
  GinDuperre | Jan 4, 2019 |
The Spook in the Stacks by Eva Gates is the fourth book in A Lighthouse Library Mystery series. Lucy Richardson is the assistant librarian at Bodie Island Lighthouse Library in Outer Banks, North Carolina. Halloween is approaching, and Louise Jane has convinced the board to do a special display which includes a detailed replica of the downed ship, Rebecca McPherson. Bertie and Charlene are excited when Jay Ruddle puts their library on the shortlist to receive his historical North Carolina collection of maps and documents. On Saturday during Louise Jane’s historical ghost story lecture, Jay is allowed access to the libraries rare book room. Lucy later finds him dead in a chair with a blue velvet rope wrapped around his neck. When Julia finds herself the prime suspect in her grandfather’s death, Theodore Kowalski (who is quite smitten with Julia) asks for Lucy’s help in clearing her name. While working to uncover some clues, Lucy notices some unusual occurrences at the library. A ghostly horse, strange lights in the marsh, and the miniature crew of the replica of Rebecca MacPherson keep moving around. With Halloween just around the corner, Lucy needs to keep her wits about her.

The Spook in the Stacks is an enticing cozy mystery. I just love the concept of a library in a lighthouse. Lucy is lucky to be able to work and live in such a beautiful and unique building. The author brought the library, Lucy’s apartment, and the area alive with her descriptions. There is a nice variety of characters that the author has taken the time to craft and develop. Lucy is a smart, friendly main character (relatable) and it is nice to watch her grow as the series progresses. I did feel that Louise Jane is a little over-the-top for my tastes. She enters a scene and takes it over (reminds me of a steamroller). I delighted in the various books, authors and literary references sprinkled throughout the story. The Halloween atmosphere was fun, and I reveled in the added paranormal element. The mystery was pleasing with good components. The Spook in the Stacks can be read alone (easily). There are a couple a of subplots that enhance the book. Lucy’s boyfriend, Connor McNeil is running for re-election and Lucy is helping with his campaign. His competitor is not above mudslinging if it will help him win. The book club is meeting to discuss Sleepy Hollow and the outdoor venue enhances the spookiness. I like the history of the area and local lore included in the story. My rating for The Spook in the Stacks is 4 out of 5 stars. I thought The Spook in the Stacks was well-written with steady pacing. The dialogue is realistic (for library and book people especially) and I thought Charles, the library cat, was charming. There is some repetition in the first few chapters such as where Lucy lived, and the jobs the various library personnel perform. The Spook in the Stacks is a lively, airy cozy mystery that you will keep you engaged and ordering takeout for dinner. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jun 14, 2018 |

Halloween in North Carolina's Outer Banks becomes seriously tricky when librarian Lucy Richardson stumbles across something extra unusual in the rare books section: a dead body. Wealthy businessman Jay Ruddle is considering donating his extensive collection of North Carolina historical documents to the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library, but the competition for the collection is fierce. Unfortunately, while the library is hosting a lecture on ghostly legends, Jay becomes one of the dearly departed in the rare books section. Now, it's up to Lucy Richardson and her fellow librarians to bone up on their detective skills and discover who is responsible for this wicked Halloween homicide.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,485,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible