dismiss

In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire

In an Absent Dream

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (4)

"Tells the origin story of Lundy, a very serious young girl who would rather study and dream than become a respectable housewife and live up to the expectations of the world around her. As well she should. When she finds a doorway to a world founded on logic and reason, riddles and lies, she thinks she's found her paradise. Alas, everything costs at the goblin market, and when her time there is drawing to a close, she makes the kind of bargain that never plays out well. For anyone"--… (more)

I just finished reading. crying. This book tore me apart and I'll be rereading at least once more. ( )
  erinrita | May 28, 2020 |
I really think this volume is my favorite book in the series so far. Though, I have to admit, it seems that I like the "flashback" stories better than the "current" stories. Maybe it's the slightly different writing style, or maybe that I already know the main characters in the flashback books. ("flashback" books = this one and Down Among the Sticks and Bones)

Lundy is one of the characters that we meet in Every Heart a Doorway, but I never really get a sense of her until this book. I love it, though. Her story is so magical, so relatable, so tragic. As it's presented in EHaD, it seems that the Goblin Market was going to kick her out merely because she turned 18. However, in IaAD we find out that she could have stayed in the Market, as long as she followed the rules and was sure. Since readers of IaAD will know from the start how Lundy's story ultimately ends in EHaD, we know that she doesn't stay in the Market, but, watching her journey, I couldn't help but hope she'd make a different choice, and have a different ending.

Especially sad spoiler: Lundy stayed largely because of her sister. I wonder how Diana felt, seeing what happened because she wanted to spend more time with her older sister? I wonder if she feels that having her son go to the Goblin Market is fair value for what happened to Lundy? Somehow I doubt that the two sisters had the friendship either of them really wanted after that day.

Except for the fact that I couldn't have left my family for good, I think I could have been happy in the Goblin Market. Kudos to McGuire for another wonderful installment in this series. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
The fourth book in Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series, though it could probably be read as a standalone too. McGuire's novellas continue to be beautiful, unexpected, compelling and twisted takes on traditional fairy tales. Highly recommended. ( )
  iftyzaidi | Apr 4, 2020 |
A lovely addition to the Wayward Children series. The writing is beautiful, the world building fascinating, the story entertaining but sad. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
This review is also featured onBehind the Pages: In an Absent Dream

Raised in a household that thrived on rules, it’s no surprise Lundy would find a world of logic and reason. In this prequel, readers will learn of the goblin market. A place where fair value is the only form of payment. There, Lundy will find her first friend and learn lessons that her world of school and books could never teach her. But every choice comes with a price, and you must follow the rules. Lundy will find that the consequences of her actions, are not always easy to live with.

Readers will watch as Lundy grows and tries to understand the differences between her world and the goblin market. As she travels between the two, she must decide which is her best choice, before the door to her chosen world closes forever. At first, it seems like such a simple choice, but nothing is ever easy.

You’ll be captivated by this latest installment to the Wayward Children! Each book takes the readers through another doorway, to another world. And each one is as unique as the characters themselves. There are endless possibilities, and I’m certainly ready to see what else I can discover! ( )
  Letora | Feb 15, 2020 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hopkins, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hunt, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stafford-Hill, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come buy, come buy:
Our grapes fresh from the vine,
Pomegranates full and fine,
Dates and sharp bullaces,
Rare pears and greengages,
Damsons and bilberries,
Taste them and try:
Currants and gooseberries,
Bright-fire-like barberries,
Figs to fill your mouth,
Citrons from the South,
Sweet to tongue and sound to eye;
Come buy, come buy.

-CHRISTINA ROSSETTI, GOBLIN MARKET
For Talis, who knows the way to the Goblin Market
1964: In a house, on a street, in a town ordinary enough in every aspect to cross over its own roots and becoming remarkable, there lived a girl named Katherine Victoria Lundy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,476,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible