In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire

In an Absent Dream

by Seanan McGuire

Perfect! Deserves ALL the stars, not a measly five. Dare I say, better even than Every Heart a Doorway... ( )
  flying_monkeys | Mar 5, 2019 |
Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children series of books gets better with each addition, with the latest, In an Absent Dream, by far being the strongest story to date. Following the established every other book sequence, this volume tells Lundy's portal story, as she finds her door to the Goblin Market. McGuire offers up some serious ideas to ponder, such as idea of fair value for everything and what that means to either the recipient or the giver. It's some heavy ideas, and after finishing Absent Dream, I had to take some time to really mull over the notions that are put forth, and it really made me think about my own interactions with those around me and how the idea of fair value can applied to our real world.

McGuire doesn't just write one hell of an amazing book, but she pushes us, the readers, to consider how we can actually be better people by understanding how we can, and should, be fair to each other. It's really quite a remarkable book. And her writing; it's more beautiful with every book. There are so many potential stories to be told, I hope deep down that she never leaves this series and continues to offer us such amazing books forever. ( )
  tapestry100 | Feb 25, 2019 |
This book kept staring at me from the new release shelves, and I couldn't resist it. The 'Wayward Children' series has entranced me even since I discovered it almost two years ago. McGuire uses the short length of the stories and the subject matter of the series itself to delve deep into the many facets of troubled childhoods.

I've had moments of disappointment with the series in the past, that's true, but only because I will always want deeper and more explicit answers than McGuire wants to give. Most storytelling, especially when it deals with the deep wells of adolescence and responsibility, requires a veil or two to coax the reader towards insight. Clear prose is desirable, bald prose not so much.

Sorry to be hedging around the point. 'In An Absent Dream' is the best entry yet in the series. McGuire tells the story of Lundy, a minor character in 'Every Heart a Doorway', and crafted a powerful story in her origins in our world and in the Goblin Market. More so than any other characters in this series I felt a sense of kinship with Lundy and sympathized with the choices she felt compelled to make.

Each of these stories can stand alone and publication order is almost always the most correct way to go about these things, but I wouldn't hold it against a reader if they wanted to read this one second.

Wayward Children

Next: ?

Previous: 'Beneath the Sugar Sky' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 23, 2019 |
I really think this volume is my favorite book in the series so far. Though, I have to admit, it seems that I like the "flashback" stories better than the "current" stories. Maybe it's the slightly different writing style, or maybe that I already know the main characters in the flashback books. ("flashback" books = this one and Down Among the Sticks and Bones)

Lundy is one of the characters that we meet in Every Heart a Doorway, but I never really get a sense of her until this book. I love it, though. Her story is so magical, so relatable, so tragic. As it's presented in EHaD, it seems that the Goblin Market was going to kick her out merely because she turned 18. However, in IaAD we find out that she could have stayed in the Market, as long as she followed the rules and was sure. Since readers of IaAD will know from the start how Lundy's story ultimately ends in EHaD, we know that she doesn't stay in the Market, but, watching her journey, I couldn't help but hope she'd make a different choice, and have a different ending.

Except for the fact that I couldn't have left my family for good, I think I could have been happy in the Goblin Market. Kudos to McGuire for another wonderful installment in this series. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Feb 22, 2019 |
A good story, with a definite narrative voice. I didn't remember Lundy from Every Heart a Doorway, but she's an interesting character here. The Market, with its ideas of fair value and how it's enforced, is fascinating. I'm not sure I appreciate skipping over large parts of Lundy's story at the Market, such as never meeting Mockery. ( )
  teknognome | Feb 21, 2019 |
Come buy, come buy:/ Our grapes fresh from the vine,/ Pomegranates full and fine,/ Dates and sharp bullaces,/ Rare pears and greengages,/ Damsons and bilberries,/ Taste them and try:/ Currants and gooseberries,/ Bright-fire-like barberries,/ Figs to fill your mouth,/ Citrons from the South,/ Sweet to tongue and sound to eye;/ Come buy, come buy. -Christina Rossetti, Goblin Market
1964: In a house, on a street, in a town ordinary enough in every aspect to cross over its own roots and becoming remarkable, there lived a girl named Katherine Victoria Lundy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,534,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible