Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children) by…

In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children) (edition 2019)

by Seanan McGuire (Author)

Member:ladycato
Title:In an Absent Dream (Wayward Children)
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:Tor.com (2019), 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:read in 2019, fantasy, novella, netgalley

In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire

This prequel to the gorgeously written and plotted Every Heart a Doorway follows the story of teacher Miss Lundy, way back when she found her own door that took her to the magical world of the Goblin Market. A fun but sad tale, In An Absent Dream — the technical first book in the series chronologically — is beautifully written and heart breaking. Read: another great addition to this absolutely perfect series! Fifty more books in the Wayward Children series, please and thanks!

ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2019/02/11/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-january-2019-... ( )
  yrchmonger | Feb 11, 2019 |
Oh wow! Now I want to go back and re-read the earlier books in the series! ( )
  bookczuk | Feb 9, 2019 |
In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire is the fourth published book in the Wayward Children series, and is another prequel. It does not particularly require having read the earlier published books to make sense, but I feel like Every Heart a Doorway is a reasonable introduction to the world, if one is desired.

I started reading this book without actually remembering who the protagonist, Lundy, was. The name was vaguely familiar so I knew she'd shown up in other stories, but I completely misremembered her future story. This was an enjoyable read despite that, which suggests to me that this novella stands alone completely, if necessary. I think the only thing that would be lost to someone who hadn't read any of the other novellas in the series is the background of the school and the sheer number of different types of doors to different worlds that exist. But that's almost completely irrelevant to this story about Lundy and her life travelling to and from the Goblin Market.

Lundy was a mildly unhappy child before she found her door and her particular fairyland wasn't everyone's idea of a good time. But she liked it and she made friends and she felt like she belonged. She even made several trips between the two worlds, which isn't something we've seen close up before. The story spans years as Lundy goes back and forth and is more the story of her transitions than the story of adventures had on the other side of a door. It's the story of choices made, of fair value — because that's what the Goblin Market is all about — and of family.

I really enjoyed this book. It had its melancholy and bittersweet moments, but overall I found it less depressing or distressing than the other prequel, Down Among the Sticks and Bones. Overall, it was an interesting conversation with the idea of portal fantasy, focussing on a subset of the ideas raised in the first novella, Every Heart A Doorway. I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the concepts. And generally to fans of deconstructing fantasy tropes and/or portal fantasies.

4.5 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Feb 7, 2019 |
This is a compelling, ultimately tragic, backstory for one of the less prominent characters from [Every Heart a Doorway]. I loved the picture painted of the Goblin Market and its denizens, but the ending was heartbreaking. ( )
  lavaturtle | Feb 5, 2019 |
One of the students at Eleanor West's School for Wayward Children in Every Heart a Doorway is Lundy. She's unusual even by the standards of the school, in that she is aging in reverse, growing younger, at least in body, rather than older.

This is Lundy's story. Her world, the world she stumbles into through a doorway that shouldn't be there, is the Goblin Market.

It's a strange and magical world, and everything rests on a system of barter and the principle of Fair Value. The Goblin Market also allows people to go back and forth between their world of origin and the Goblin Market freely until the age of eighteen.

There are two catches to this. One is that, at eighteen, if you are debt-free in the world of the Goblin Market, you have to make a choice--take the oath of citizenship and stay permanently, or don't, and leave forever. The second is that, if at eighteen you are not debt-free, you don't have the option of leaving. You're stuck, with all the interesting ways the Goblin Market has of enforcing debt repayment.

It's clear from what we see of Lundy in Every Heart, Lundy managed to seriously miscalculate. This is the story of what, exactly, she did, and why. As always, it's an interesting story with interesting characters. The Goblin Market itself, and its Archivist, are interesting characters in themselves.

Another aspect of this story is Lundy's relationship with her father, who turns out to have his own history with the Goblin Market. This is an aspect we haven't seen in the earlier stories, because most worlds don't offer the easy back and forth that Goblin Market does. From Lundy's viewpoint, that's not necessarily an advantage.

Highly recommended.

I bought this audiobook. ( )
  LisCarey | Jan 27, 2019 |
Come buy, come buy:/ Our grapes fresh from the vine,/ Pomegranates full and fine,/ Dates and sharp bullaces,/ Rare pears and greengages,/ Damsons and bilberries,/ Taste them and try:/ Currants and gooseberries,/ Bright-fire-like barberries,/ Figs to fill your mouth,/ Citrons from the South,/ Sweet to tongue and sound to eye;/ Come buy, come buy. -Christina Rossetti, Goblin Market
1964: In a house, on a street, in a town ordinary enough in every aspect to cross over its own roots and becoming remarkable, there lived a girl named Katherine Victoria Lundy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,480,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible