Believe Me: A Novel by JP Delaney

Believe Me: A Novel (edition 2018)

by JP Delaney (Author), Sally Scott (Reader), Various (Reader)

Member:pegmcdaniel
Title:Believe Me: A Novel
Authors:JP Delaney (Author)
Other authors:Sally Scott (Reader), Various (Reader)
Info:Random House Audio (2018), Edition: Unabridged
Rating:**
Tags:Acting, foster child, murder, erotica

Believe Me by JP Delaney

A gripping read. Very interesting how the life of Charles Baudelaire was intertwined and a large part of it read like a script. Interesting characters with a lot of surprises, twists and turns. ( )
  clamato | Jan 14, 2019 |
The only work an out-of-work British actress can get in New York City is working for a group of divorce lawyers to entrap cheating husbands. This becomes dangerous when the straying husband has already killed someone. ( )
  baughga | Jan 7, 2019 |
3.5 ⭐️

cw: slut shaming, gore, CSA, self-harm, abuse
disclaimer: I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for review consideration. All of the opinions presented below are my own.

But then, this isn’t lying. This is behaving truthfully under imaginary circumstances. Which, as you will discover, is very different.

→ What I Liked:

The Twists
While I’m not one of those people who can guess the ending to every mystery, I can sometimes be hard to please with twists. I like them to be somewhat believable, meaning that there needs to have been an indication somewhere that this was a possibility. Not necessarily anything glaring, just something to point back to as a foundation. This was actually one of my biggest issues with Dangerous Girls. While the very last bit of the book is so full of twists it’s messy, JP Delaney masterfully puts together most of the pieces in such a way that the reader can’t help but be impressed. I really thought I knew where this book was going at the beginning, but I was very wrong.

The Characters
Claire, our narrator, is a British actor living in NYC. It’s clear from the start that although she’s down on her luck, she’s just brimming with talent. She’s easy to sympathize with, but far from perfect. Although she has somewhat of a stereotypical background, in my opinion she was quite an original character. Patrick, the man accused of murdering his wife, felt really well-done as well. While at first the reader thinks they have him pinned down, that soon comes undone. Seeing him through Claire’s eyes, we find out just how difficult it is to discern who someone truly is.

→ What I Didn’t Like:

The Ending
I tore through the entirety of this book, loving the build-up, but felt entirely dissatisfied by the ending. The author threw in so many red herrings I could barely see straight. Everything began shifting wildly and rather than astounding me, it caused me to lose any suspension of disbelief I had. It felt cheesy and cheap and I’m positive JP Delaney had the talent to create something better than this.

→ TL;DR:
~Great twists
~Page-turner
~Believable characters
~A terrible ending
~Would recommend ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
This book is a wild ride into the deep, dark subconscious of a depraved and twisted psychopath's mind (actually two psychopaths). The whole time I was reading I didn't know what was real and what was just all in Claire's twisted mind. If you read this peculiar thriller, I don't think you will like Claire any more than I did. Thankfully it's a fairly quick read, but even at that I found the book too long. There were too many sidebars on acting techniques and the switch back and forth in narrative viewpoints just confused me, and that did not help at all in helping me understand where Claire was coming from and where she was going. If you enjoy twisted psychological thrillers, this book might just be your cup of tea. For me, not so much, but I did finish the book, so therefore I've given it 3 stars. ( )
  Romonko | Dec 17, 2018 |
I was excited to read this book after having read The Girl Before and it didn't disappoint. If you love psychological thrillers, and I do, be sure to grab your copy!
Thank you #NetGalley for the early copy for an honest review. ( )
  michelynn2016 | Nov 20, 2018 |

"In this twisty psychological thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Girl Before, an actress plays both sides of a murder investigation. One out-of-work British actress pays the rent on her New York City apartment the only way she can: as a decoy for a firm of divorce lawyers, hired to entrap straying husbands. When the cops begin investigating one of her targets for murdering his wife--and potentially others--they ask her to lure the suspect into a confession. But with the actress pretending to be someone she isn't, differentiating the decoy from the prey becomes impossible--and deadly"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible