A Vicarage Reunion by Kate Hewitt
2016735,519 (3.93)9

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Vicarage Reunion is the second novella in a series about the four daughters of the vicar of the English village Thornthwaite. Esther is the only married daughter, but she's not sure she wants to be married. She is still processing her emotions after a miscarriage. Why is she relieved rather than sad? Her husband Will, a sheep farmer, is a good man. Esther and Will's biggest problem is that they don't talk much. They seemed to understand each other without a need for a lot of talk, until they didn't.

I like all of the characters – the Holley sisters, their parents, and the men in their lives. It's hard to understand, though, how a vicar's family hasn't dealt with the tragic death of the only son/brother in the family. In both this story and the first story, the featured sisters are burdened with unresolved emotions related to the family tragedy. At this point I'm wondering if the rest of the family should get a clue and get into counseling. In each of the first two books, sister Rachel doesn't seem as excited about her upcoming marriage as she should be. I won't be surprised if the next book in the series is Rachel's story.

I have enjoyed my visits to Thornthwaite in the first two books, and I will be watching for the release of the remaining books in the series. These are gentle romances that will appeal to readers who prefer romances without a lot of sensuality or strong language.

This review is based on an electronic advance reading copy provided by the publisher through the Early Reviewers program. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My copy got trashed trying to get it on my Kindle. So I bought it. Nice wholesome read. A little too easy Esther getting over her issues, but hey, counseling was used. Cried when their dog died. This is the second book in a series. No idea who was in the first book but this was a nice standalone book. Lots of hints that sister Rachel is the star of the next book, but not sure I care enough to try to find out what her deal is. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | May 25, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an advanced reader's copy. For reasons entirely unknown, I was expecting a British Cozy (fluffy murder mystery). Once I sorted myself out, I found the book to be short and sweet. It treats many serious issues quickly and lightly (a handful of therapy appointments, a handful of dates, a short talking-to by the main character's mother and voila.) I also think the treatment of the Lake District, farmer's life, and work involved in bringing about a community garden were similarly glossed over. The author writes well, but I was distracted by her "British accent." A few of her turns of phrase were forced, as if she was trying too hard to pepper her language with Britishisms, instead of relying on words or phrases more commonly used. (The number of times she used the word "AGA" could have made for a very entertaining drinking game). While I'm not so sure I would go back and read the first installment of the series, I might read the next book. ( )
  mkarnstein | Apr 27, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy from LibraryThing Early Reviewer for an honest opinion. I enjoyed this book much more than the first one as it seemed more realistic. Esther suffers a miscarriage and is trying to understand the situation, her feelings, figure out her marriage and all with the prospect of moving on with her life. She reveals to her husband what she felt when she was told that she had a miscarriage and I think this is something that placed a mini-twist to the novel. Will is also trying to figure out what is happening and at the same time save his marriage. Overall, a nice storyline. ( )
  FReads | Apr 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The second installment of the series featuring the Thornthwaite vicar's daughters features Esther. Esther married Will, but a difficult circumstance drives a bit of a wedge between them. Esther moves home to the vicarage. At the same time, she accepts a package from her employer which allows her to make a completely new start. Esther's parents plan a move to China in the upcoming months, and the curate will move into the vicarage at that time. When Esther's father suggests turning a neglected garden into a community garden, Esther receives the curate's blessing to pursue the project. Much more happens, but to reveal more would give away too much plot. Perhaps the overriding story theme is the phrase Esther's mother utters which was the title of a best-selling counseling book by Frank Minirth and Paul Meier, "Happiness Is a Choice." This series is certain to please readers of the Miss Read books and other English village life books. I received an advance electronic copy from the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  thornton37814 | Mar 31, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Kate Hewitt's book A Vicarage Reunion is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,920,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible