Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories,…

Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves (edition 2018)

by Glory Edim (Author)

Member:AnitaDTaylor
Title:Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves
Authors:Glory Edim (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2018), 272 pages

Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves by Glory Edim (Editor)

This is an outstanding collection of essays from successful black women including many black women authors. They reflect on the pain and isolation of growing up and not seeing themselves represented in books, films, television and real life models.

All of them express sheer joy of finding themselves in a variety of black writers and characters – whether it was a children's book with a black girl pretending to be a witch, or one of the very small but growing canon of well known and lesser known black authors.

I loved each and every essay. I'm neither black nor a girl, and yet my eyes are reopened to the importance of seeing oneself and one's experience in what you read.

The lists of books in this book will add immensely to my reading in the years to come.

A well-deserved 5 star read. ( )
  streamsong | Feb 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At first, I was surprised. This is not the style I was expecting. This book has a blog style with famous/successful black women talking about their challenges with racism and self doubt while giving hints on good books that help them in their process. I got great book names to read next. But most importantly, I realized racism and suffering of black people will not be easy to get over. It is embedded in their DNA and settled deeper in the years and years of being treated differently and watching/reading material that they do not belong to... these women are definitely on the right track to talk about their experiences and hopefully all black teens and children will read this book. Hopefully white people too- at least to see the damage that has been done. ( )
  soontobefree | Feb 6, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a gorgeous book, inside and out. The group of contributors is truly amazing (NK Jemisin, Jesmyn Ward, Tayari Jones, Morgan Jerkins...I could go on and on...), and I loved every essay. Can’t recommend it highly enough. ( )
  ChristineCrofts | Feb 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well-Read Black Girl immediately feels like necessary reading. The perspectives from these curated essays speak volumes about the journey these writers, readers, and artistic types took to find themselves inside the medium they chose as their own. ( )
  JaredOrlando | Jan 29, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A small but thoughtful book about reading, writing and the importance of representation. Every essay is a mini-memoir, discussing each person's individual experiences of being seen (or unseen), both in literature and in the outside world, and in many cases paying homage to the books where they saw themselves reflected for the first time. There is pain and regret to be sure, but also nostalgia and delight and humor.

Least favorite piece: Bsrat Mezghebe's, mostly because her essay cites Roald Dahl as a major influence -- which doesn't quite fit with the theme of this anthology.

Favorite piece: N.K. Jemisin's, because her piece is funny and passionate and takes absolutely no prisoners.

The only downfall is that now my list of titles and authors to look into has gotten a lot longer! ( )
  bostonian71 | Jan 24, 2019 |

Tayari JonesContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Veronica ChambersContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zinzi ClemmonsContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Glory Edim's book Well-Read Black Girl is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,631,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible