Dark Nights: Metal: Deluxe Edition by Scott…

Dark Nights: Metal: Deluxe Edition

by Scott Snyder

"The Dark Knight has uncovered one of the lost mysteries of the universe...one that could destroy the very fabric of the DC Universe! The dark corners of reality that have never been seen till now! The Dark Multiverse is revealed in all its devastating danger--a team of twisted, evil versions of Batman hellbent on destroying the DC Universe! With appearances from heroes, villains and faces long forgotten, DARK NIGHTS: METAL will examine every choice a hero doesn't take and every path they don't walk, and open up worlds that are forged by nightmares."--… (more)

Dark Nights: Metal
Deluxe Edition
Author: Scott Snyder (Author), Greg Capullo (Illustrator)
Publisher: DC Comics
Publishing Date: 2018
Pgs: 204
Disposition: Hoopla e-Book
REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
The Multiverse we know isn’t everything there is. There are realms beyond. A dark mirror underneath what we can see. A mirror cracked. An evil from beyond time and space is stalking Batman intent on dragging him into the shadows of the Dark Multiverse and using him as a conduit that will doom all the light to his rule. Barbatos is rising. Horror awaits.
Genre:
Comics
DC Comics
Graphic Novel
Superhero
Science Fiction
Fantasy

Why this book:
Heard good things and wanted to see for myself.
Plot Holes/Out of Character:
Batman getting suckered this badly is way OOC.

Favorite Scene / Quote/Concept:
The “by our powers combined” scene is incredible.

A dark multiverse...an opposite number, a wagon, a door, a wayne...something is coming.

Red Tornado vs the Justice League is a great panel. Poor Reddy. Every reboot, he never gets back to where he once was. Modern fans have no appreciation for him because modern writers fail to realize that Red Tornado was a percursor analogue of ST: TNG’s Data in so many ways.

Robin’s clap back at Wonder Woman about winning is awesome.

Barbatos entry is well done.
Nightmaster’s last stand while heroic deserved a page at least. Make it worthy.

The image of Diana after Black Adam punches her through a stone wall, getting back up again is freaking awesome. Wonder Woman is the epitome of get knocked down 6 times, stand up 7.

Starro has five asses.

“It’s a war cry.”

“League hear me!” Wonder Woman is freaking awesome in this. For what was obviously Batman-centric with a dose of Superman, Wondy got her big hero moments all through this. Good stuff.

Batman punching a flying Joker Dragon in the nose, leaping onto his back, and riding him toward salvation.

The Hall of Justice...nice.

Alfred playing drums with Jon and Damian’s band is kinda cool...okay...it’s really cool.

The Batman battling the super zombies is a great visual.

Hmm Moments:
Always love it when Mongul makes an appearance. One of my favorite villains.

Energy causing Cyborg and Green Lantern to wig out. Wonder Woman sensing it too. Hmmm.

Never wake a slumbering Swamp Thing.

The Wonder Woman “there is always hope” look.

The Batman Who Laughs’ Robins are creepy little bastards.

WTF Moments:
If Kendra Saunders is Lady Blackhawk. Then, I’m only going to be happy if we get Shera Sanders Hall or Shayera Hol back as Hawkwoman when all is said and done. I was disappointed in that statement, though not horribly so.

Meh / PFFT Moments:
Why does the Court of Owls have to be involved in every damned thing?

Kendra’s single mindedness is a severe shortcoming.
Nth metal being Ninth metal seems a bit on the nose, but okay.

The Unexpected:
So that’s how the Source Wall got broken. I knew it was broken, but had missed the comic where it had happened. Cool. But if done right, there should be things beyond that wall that give writers stories to tell for a good long time.

Get Off My Lawn:
Black Adam’s classic look is better than this.

Predictability/Non-Predictability:
And Wonder Woman is besting Black Adam, whipping his ass. And The Batman Who Laughs deus ex machinas appearing at exactly the smackdown moment.
Pacing:
The pace was good throughout.
_________________________________________________ ( )
  texascheeseman | Aug 20, 2019 |
I did not enjoy much of Scott Snyder's run on Batman, so I approached this crossover event with great trepidation and low expectations. Color me pleasantly surprised as I found myself liking the direct callbacks to the seminal Crisis on Infinite Earths and the overall tribute to the depth and breadth of the history and character catalog of the DC Universe.

The story is cheesy, sure, but it also has tremendous nostalgic appeal to longtime DC fanboys like me. ( )
  villemezbrown | Sep 9, 2018 |
So, when I read Road to Metal I was very confused. With this TPB, the Metal Story (or most of it) was a tiny bit less confusing.

I guess that DC multiverse has a dark backing (I won't go into how much a finite 52 worlds in the multiverse annoys the scientist side of my brain, or why in the world DC is so obsessed with the # 52).

And I guess Batman is the key, or Superman is the key, or Kendra Saunders is the key, or something Atlantean is the key?

I just think that in a lot of ways the Metal story line was just too complicated. They started with too many strings, and yes, they did bring them together by and large, but, if they'd had five instead of twenty strings I think that reading the TPBs would have been much more enjoyable.

I received this book via Netgalley thanks to DC Entertainment. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 16, 2018 |
Well, I'm not going to lie. This story is just not my thing. I like stories that take place on Earth 1 or in space but Dark Nights: Metal introduces us to the Dark Multiverse and it is whacko crazy. Batman's nightmares are real here and there are several weird dark Batmans at the helm of this craziness. Set in several realms of this multiverse the Justice League members are trying to combat the forces of evil. There are many familiar villains represented with one popping up all the time throughout. Look closely at the crowd scenes. It's a ride, I'll say that much, and may certainly be right up some reader's alley but not mine. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 5, 2018 |
50,000 years ago. Lost to history is a story.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,914,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible